Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:03 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,198,322 times

Advertisements

We've been in our house in Summerville for about two weeks, and a lot of renovating is going on. My husband's uncle is "helping" - meaning he gets it in his head that he wants to attack our bushes/trees with some sort of electric trimmer for 20 minutes, leaving me with a ton of crap to clean up

Day one of me trying to rake up all the branches/leaves: I was outside for an hour and a half, and got about 35 mosquito bites. Joy!

I am just a bit melancholy over finally having a gorgeous yard for future kids, and I can't see them actually playing in it without being eaten alive As for myself, just found out I am pregnant, so no Deet for me, ugh! Do people actually use their backyards down here?

Also, is there a place to dump debris in Summerville - stuff like old drywall, panelling, flooring? Thanks all, I'm really liking it here, just not so much the bites, haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 02:21 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,287,950 times
Fist Congradulations on the baby....

Ok, get yourself a Therma Cell from Walmart, they are great for about 500 sqft.

What part of Summerville do you live in? Some areas have street pickup of yard debris, depends on what trash pickup company you hire.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:22 PM

478 posts, read 1,651,766 times
CONGRATULATIONS - how exciting. As for the trash - we've taken stuff to the dump - located on Central past Myers Mill.

We've found the same thing - mosquitos, fire ants... My husband treated the yard for bugs, but it didn't seem to do much good, but we have a lot of pine trees on our property, and naturally he couldn't get in there to treat it - or didn't want to. It doesn't seem like people use their yards here as much, we had our son's graduation party with a big tent - everyone stayed inside, so we'll know not to do that next year at my daughter's graduation.

Can you use the Avon lotion? I saw a test on TV with different mosquito repelents, and surprisingly enough it worked. I don't remember the name of it - but I'm sure an Avon rep could tell you.

GL - I hope you have a healthy pregnancy.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:45 PM

595 posts, read 1,250,921 times
For years, many people have sworn by Avon's Skin so Soft. My friend who is an Avon rep says they aren't supposed to even try to represent any kind of company stance on this

Old 08-03-2009, 08:24 PM

209 posts, read 532,657 times
I just did an internet search and found that pregnant women are twice as likely to be a target for skeeters than non-pregnant women -- the extra heat and carbon dioxide, I guess. I've read in many places that DEET in normally used levels isn't bad for pregnant women (I've got a 2 1/2 year old and a 5 month old, so I've just been through it all...). There are also some other chemicals used in widely available repellants (picaridin). Oil of lemon eucalyptus is also effective, according to the CDC's website.

For fire ants we buy Top Choice at the warehouse where all the pros get their chemicals from... It's not cheap, but is guaranteed for a year. I'm VERY allergic, so I need to keep those little buggers away. You can also get any decent pest/lawn company to put it down for you.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:50 AM

10 posts, read 15,822 times
Default Question about the pesticides

We are thinking of relocating to Charleston, but we have two Dachshunds. Anyone know anything about whether the mosquito sprays are toxic to small dogs???

Old 08-04-2009, 11:40 AM

110 posts, read 564,867 times
If you can stand the heat there tend to be less mosquitos during the middle of the day. We've had some success with the mosquito coils. We also spray garlic spray (bought online) but we're not sure how much it works. For fire ants I'm trying grits. I heard the ants eat the grits and the grits expand in them and kill them.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:14 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,471,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinerevelle View Post
I just did an internet search and found that pregnant women are twice as likely to be a target for skeeters than non-pregnant women -- the extra heat and carbon dioxide, I guess. I've read in many places that DEET in normally used levels isn't bad for pregnant women (I've got a 2 1/2 year old and a 5 month old, so I've just been through it all...). There are also some other chemicals used in widely available repellants (picaridin). Oil of lemon eucalyptus is also effective, according to the CDC's website.

For fire ants we buy Top Choice at the warehouse where all the pros get their chemicals from... It's not cheap, but is guaranteed for a year. I'm VERY allergic, so I need to keep those little buggers away. You can also get any decent pest/lawn company to put it down for you.

I wonder if eucalyptus plants/trees would work?

Old 08-04-2009, 01:15 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,471,846 times
congratulations on the baby!!!

Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 AM

240 posts, read 442,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Fist Congradulations on the baby....

Ok, get yourself a Therma Cell from Walmart, they are great for about 500 sqft.

What part of Summerville do you live in? Some areas have street pickup of yard debris, depends on what trash pickup company you hire.

I think the Therma Cell recommendation is a good one. I also know of a more economical solution but I dont' know for sure if it's AS effective as the Therma Cell? But OFF makes a blue plastic fan that's called Clip On and it runs on the 2 AA batteries and has a small fan in it that is supposed to provide head-to-toe protection for 12 hours. I have not used this product yet but plan to give it a try. The OFF fans cost less than the Therma Cell's and also can be refilled for additional uses. No spray on necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area