Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 03:06 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,979,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
More name calling....

Well lets see she attempted to murder a Cop in broad daylight in front of hundreds of witnesses, she deserved to be DRT.....

It takes a special kind of criminal to try to murder someone, and an even worse one to try to kill a Police Officer, someone who is in the process of upholding the very laws that our country is bassed on.....
Tom,

I'm simply responding to the fact that you wanted to see a person killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
The City of Charleston Police Department is a -fully- accredited department. Accreditation didn't exist in the 70's. They absolutely have policies in place for use of force (all manners of the force spectrum) now, and extensive review policies/procedures regarding those uses of force after the fact.
http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/176330-1.pdf

Good overview of the subject.

Last edited by Geechie North; 08-13-2009 at 03:24 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
The City of Charleston Police Department is a -fully- accredited department. Accreditation didn't exist in the 70's. They absolutely have policies in place for use of force (all manners of the force spectrum) now, and extensive review policies/procedures regarding those uses of force after the fact.

What's Your Use-of-Deadly-Force Standard?

"If the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA), many law enforcement agencies, and many law enforcement experts are stating that deadly force can only be "reasonably" used in deadly force confrontations, in defense of life or under the deadly-force-defense standard, then the use of deadly force (against a fleeing felon)) under Garner may be held to be unreasonable by future appellate courts. Additionally, with some law enforcement agencies and certain individual experts promulgating the "preservation of life" standard as the only reasonable standard, then the use of deadly force against a fleeing felon under Garner is definitely not a "reasonable" use of force."

Not being a witness, I'll defer to those who were on this incident.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:43 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,471,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post

"If the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA), many law enforcement agencies, and many law enforcement experts are stating that deadly force can only be "reasonably" used in deadly force confrontations, in defense of life or under the deadly-force-defense standard, then the use of deadly force (against a fleeing felon)) under Garner may be held to be unreasonable by future appellate courts. Additionally, with some law enforcement agencies and certain individual experts promulgating the "preservation of life" standard as the only reasonable standard, then the use of deadly force against a fleeing felon under Garner is definitely not a "reasonable" use of force."

Why not defer to the policy and procedure of the Police Department? That is what will be used to determine the outcome.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:33 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,287,950 times
Quote:
Tom,

I'm simply responding to the fact that you wanted to see a person killed.
No I wanted to see the a person who was trying to kill a cop killed instead of the cop.....

I don't consider that a person, just human garbage....

Old 08-13-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
No I wanted to see the a person who was trying to kill a cop killed instead of the cop.....

I don't consider that a person, just human garbage....
Which is why I said, "sick."

Old 08-13-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Why not defer to the policy and procedure of the Police Department? That is what will be used to determine the outcome.
Very true, but CALEA is sort of the gold standard for establishment of standards for Law Enforcement Agencies.

And if this incident does end in a trial, as many do, then the Police will be witnesses, as are all other observers of said action who testify.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:52 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,471,846 times
Quote:
Very true, but CALEA is sort of the gold standard for establishment of standards for Law Enforcement Agencies.

And if this incident does end in a trial, as many do, then the Police will be witnesses, as are all other observers of said action who testify.

I would be real surprised if this goes to trial. It would be a huge waste of resources !

Old 08-13-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I would be real surprised if this goes to trial. It would be a huge waste of resources !
Could be, or not.

That's one for the legal system.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:55 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,001,013 times
Quote:

This situation wasn't a Garner situation. Garner deals with chasing a fleeing felon and using deadly force to prevent their flight, i.e. shooting them to stop them from running. Garner doesn't have any bearing on using deadly force in self-defense, i.e. when facing someone at the wheel of a vehicle attempting to run you over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area