Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,356 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to the downtown area later this year. We've visited a few times but without living in town, I was wondering if anyone had advice on what neighborhoods we should avoid when looking for a place to rent? All these districts just run together for me. Any advice? We are probably looking to spend between 1200-1500/mo for a 2 bdrm. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 05:22 PM

146 posts, read 334,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatl View Post
Any advice? We are probably looking to spend between 1200-1500/mo for a 2 bdrm. Thanks for any help!
We hunted in June with a max budget of $1500 and didn't find anything worth that price downtown. There were acceptable places at $1500, but not worth the money in our opinion- we either had to compromise on safety or on features. Anything in the $1400 range in a good neighborhood was poorly maintained, lacked central air, or had other problems that might have been acceptable at $1100, but were intolerable for us at that cost. Good luck, but it was very frustrating for us. We were given a map that broke downtown into color-coded neighborhoods, and this was very helpful, as the college's housing office told us which ones to stay away from due to reports of high crime from the campus safety office.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:28 AM

87 posts, read 268,505 times
In the MLS, there are 24 rentals downtown that are $1500 and less. Out of the 24, I found 7 to be in a safe location for a daughter.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:20 PM

3 posts, read 19,661 times
I am a realtor and I live in Elliotborough, sometimes finding a good area requires street by street knowledge of downtown. Feel free to call me or check out my blog 53 Cannon for info and apartment listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: