Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:29 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,464,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
Visiting Charleston in Nov. and I have some questions:

Is staying in a hotel near the Coliseum safe (I believe it is Mall Road?)? ... no, I wouldn't stay in that area unless at the Embassy Suites at the coliseum... and even then keep your eyes open if u go out at night

How far is it from that area to Kiawah Island? What would be the driving time? ... about 45 mins on off rush hour times

Is there a town in between Charleston and Kiawah that has good/decent hotels that may be better? ... look at West of the Ashley, Savannah Hwy/hwy17S

Going to a family event in Kiawah but the cost of renting a villa is very prohibitive...internet research makes me think staying in Charleston is financially more feasible. Thanks for your help.
jmho of course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 01:08 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,412,043 times
If you are thinking of moving to Summerville and money is no object, I'd stay at The Woodlands which is right in Summerville Charleston SC Only 5 Star Luxury Resort Hotel Restaurant Woodlands Inn

Old 09-04-2009, 01:31 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,889,876 times
great, come to my home town of Mt Pleasant to visit

Boone Hall Plantation
Sullivans Island and Ft Moultrie
Seewee Center(the local redwolves are beautiful)
the Pinckney House
Old Mt Pleasant

then drive down to
Follybeach
beautiful Beaufort
the Penn Center
dont miss the market downtown and buy a basket, my mother and aunt makes them and my cousins sell them

meals

Justine's
Gullah cuisine in MT Pleasant
Reds on Shem Creek
the Mustard Seed

Old 09-04-2009, 01:32 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,889,876 times
i would stay over on 17 in hotels in MP for value
if cost is no object then hotels and b&bs downtown

Old 09-05-2009, 09:53 AM

83 posts, read 223,962 times
There are awesome suggestions in this thread. It's very hard to filter through what to actually do and not to do with limited time... guess that's why so many people make Charleston a repeat vacation spot or just go ahead and move here!

You might want to check out www.things-to-do-in-charleston.com before you come, to get a feel for what's out there. There's even a top 10 best things to do list as voted by locals and other tourists.

Regarding:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
Visiting Charleston in Nov. and I have some questions:

Is staying in a hotel near the Coliseum safe (I believe it is Mall Road?)?

How far is it from that area to Kiawah Island? What would be the driving time?

Is there a town in between Charleston and Kiawah that has good/decent hotels that may be better?
Any hotel near the Coliseum on International Blvd is very safe. The area has grown commercially so there's always a lot going on. Mall Dr. is OK, not that it isn't safe, but it's on the outskirts of new development so may sometimes seem like 'ghost town.' Especially in November.

Kiawah is about 35 miles from the Coliseum, which will be about 50 minutes. You can stay in closer hotels in West Ashley on Rte 17 (like the Hampton Inn off of Rte 526) or a Riverview Hotel, which is just accross from Downtown Charleston.

Hope this helps! Have fun in Charleston!

Old 09-05-2009, 02:56 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,287,950 times
Gotta add the Winery and Vodka Distillery to the list now.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area