Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:02 PM

13 posts, read 38,567 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I am going to be taking a vacation in the Charleston area this fall with my boyfriend. We are looking for the "insider's guide" to a great experience. Our plan is to go in Mid to Late October and we'd like to stay a few nights at a B&B near the beach and a few nights at a hotel downtown. We are looking at possibly moving to Summerville so we'd like to do a day trip there. Please provide us with any advice--from good hotels, things to see, areas to avoid, and favorite restaurants. Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 07:33 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,470,589 times
Whew.....there is so much to see.
Charleston is a lovely place. We are moving there as well.

There are a couple of threads already about all the things you have asked about.
I say that because there are so many that have GREAT info in them.

Here are some of favorite things to do.

Folly Beach
Hanks Seafood Restaurant at the Market
High Cotton on East Bat Street
Fort Sumter
The Aquarium
Walk around the Market
Thriller Charleston Boat
Walking the Battery

I could go on and on......

Let us know how your trip planning goes.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:38 AM

341 posts, read 759,229 times
Isle of Palms Beach
The Battery
SC Aquarium
Fort Sumter
Patriots Point
Shopping on King Street
All are very nice and worth doing.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:26 AM

194 posts, read 746,942 times
Check out the Fulton Lane Inn for your downtown stay....I'm not aware of any B&B's on any of the beaches....
From what I understand you can go to the visitors center and get walk in rates for hotels in the Charleston area. You can also get discount coupons ect for many area attractions. The visitors center website has lots of good info.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:37 PM

5,267 posts, read 5,197,366 times
As many of these threads that get posted here, the mods should just pin one at the top....

Good suggestions given already...
Definitely drive out to one of the Plantations...I like Middleton Place the best...
There is a lot of great things to do in the area.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:07 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,410,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshGrace View Post
Hi Everyone! I am going to be taking a vacation in the Charleston area this fall with my boyfriend. We are looking for the "insider's guide" to a great experience. Our plan is to go in Mid to Late October and we'd like to stay a few nights at a B&B near the beach and a few nights at a hotel downtown. We are looking at possibly moving to Summerville so we'd like to do a day trip there. Please provide us with any advice--from good hotels, things to see, areas to avoid, and favorite restaurants. Thanks so much!!
For your B&B by the beach, here's where I'd stay :
Waters Edge Inn bed and breakfast - Folly Beach, South Carolina. Folly Beach Bed and Breakfast Inns.

It is on the river side of Folly Island but just six blocks to the ocean and beach and one block to the main street (Center Street) with lots of the shops and restaurants.

There are lots of nice B&B's downtown for probably a lot more dinero and but there is no BEACH downtown. There is only the harborfront that you can walk to but can't swim in due to the pluff mud. For a beach you need to go to one of the barrier islands and unless Sullivan's has one, Folly is probably your best bet.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:32 PM

730 posts, read 1,889,379 times
Visiting Charleston in Nov. and I have some questions:

Is staying in a hotel near the Coliseum safe (I believe it is Mall Road?)?

How far is it from that area to Kiawah Island? What would be the driving time?

Is there a town in between Charleston and Kiawah that has good/decent hotels that may be better?

Going to a family event in Kiawah but the cost of renting a villa is very prohibitive...internet research makes me think staying in Charleston is financially more feasible. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:37 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,286,496 times
Not bad, just don't walk around at night, unless you are going to the outlets...

Kiawah is about an hour....

You may be able to find a hotel on hwy 17 south of Charleston that would maybe put you a few minutes closer, but not much....

Old 09-01-2009, 05:56 AM

11 posts, read 23,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshGrace View Post
Before you come, read Alexandra Ripley's trilogy on Charleston; it's much better than her sequel to Gone With the Wind, and explains much of Charleston society even as it exists today. While you're here, eat at the Variety Store at the marina next to the Rice Mill Building, and have breakfast at the Hominy Grill. Attend a religious service at the Cathedral of St. Luke and St. Paul - their choir is the best in town. Try to catch Friday's parade at the Citadel.

There's not much going on in Summerville in October, and if you have very young children, Summerville is bereft of early childhood education since the director of St. Luke's retired.

A trip to the visitor's center downtown is a good idea, and the museum is right across the street. The museum itself might not be exactly what you're looking for, but the two museum houses associated with it tell an interesting tale.

Charlestowne Landing in West Ashley took a terrible hit during Hugo from which they still have not entirely recovered, but what has been rebuilt is very high quality. The plantation houses are mostly in West Ashley, but Boone Hall is in Mt Pleasant and is the home of the annual Scottish Games, which are held in the late summer/early fall.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:51 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,233,493 times
I liked the Mills House Hotel downtown, you can walk everywhere, we had a little balcony and left the French doors open. I think the Boone Hall Plantation is worth looking at, huge live oak trees make a stunning entrance, it's featured in movies sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area