Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:28 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,287,950 times

Advertisements

No, I don't know them....

Last I heard about Tom he was in a Halfway house in Columbia for a little while then I think he was going on the ankle bracelet at home for the rest of his time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 02:38 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,979,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
No, I don't know them....

Last I heard about Tom he was in a Halfway house in Columbia for a little while then I think he was going on the ankle bracelet at home for the rest of his time.
Back in the 70's, Sidi (scion of the Limehouse- Mullet Hall- family) had a similiar problem.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:58 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,743,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Back in the 70's, Sidi (scion of the Limehouse- Mullet Hall- family) had a similiar problem.
I know Sidi and most of the Limehouse family well....his wife was my son's 4th grade teacher. His half sister and her husband, the Irvins, own Irvin's Vineyards and Winery on Bear's Bluff and Sidi's wife works out there now that she's retired from teaching. He still runs the farm (Rosebank Farms) and store and their daughter has a restaurant (Rosebank Cafe) at Bohicket Marina.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:02 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,979,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
I know Sidi and most of the Limehouse family well....his wife was my son's 4th grade teacher. His half sister and her husband, the Irvins, own Irvin's Vineyards and Winery on Bear's Bluff and Sidi's wife works out there now that she's retired from teaching. He still runs the farm (Rosebank Farms) and store and their daughter has a restaurant (Rosebank Cafe) at Bohicket Marina.
Yeah,

I'm related to them.

By marriage; father's side.

Glad to know what Sidi is up to.

I voted for him vs Mendel Davis.

And watched him in the "Battle Of The Bulls" in 1973.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:01 PM

11 posts, read 23,094 times
With a good ear, you can distinguish South of Broad from north of Hampton Park, which is the accent I think of as the true Charleston brogue. The last generation to speak it purely was born in the thirties and forties and you rarely hear it now. It is also possible to differentiate between James and Johns Island. The outlying areas, North Charleston, West Ashley, Mt. Pleasant, etc. have become too homogenized to have a discernible accent. I think Arthur's is too exaggerated (I've been fo' you, now you be fo' me!), and whoever said Fritz Hollings was more accurate. His wife was also a good source.

If you can find a recording of Virginia Geraty reading Gullah, you'll get the best of both worlds. She wrote at least one book documenting the existence of Gullah as an identifiably separate language, and her natural accent was the brogue about which we've been talking. She was my high school librarian. :-)

Old 09-02-2009, 03:59 PM

I LOVE(D?) Miss Virginia....have had the privelege of hearing some of her readings and have a copy of her Gullah version of "The Night Before Christmas" as well as one of her Gullah cookbooks - both signed by her. She spoke at my school 20 + years ago. Is she still alive? For some reason, I thought she had passed. She's a perfect example of the true Souther lady.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:50 PM

11 posts, read 23,094 times
No, I'm sure she's passed. I do know another Gullah story teller West Ashley who speaks beautifully, and I have a Gullah Bible myself. And you're right about her being the epitome of the true Southern lady. I've had the good fortune to know a number of them, some in my own family. Faith Sellars in Summerville is a good example; she told my mom when they had both reached "a certain age" "Ladies NEVAH fan."

And I'll never forget my shock when a member of the distaff side of the Limehouse group was working with me on a houseplan; she called the bathroom the sh***er.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightauel View Post
No, I'm sure she's passed. I do know another Gullah story teller West Ashley who speaks beautifully, and I have a Gullah Bible myself. And you're right about her being the epitome of the true Southern lady. I've had the good fortune to know a number of them, some in my own family. Faith Sellars in Summerville is a good example; she told my mom when they had both reached "a certain age" "Ladies NEVAH fan."

And I'll never forget my shock when a member of the distaff side of the Limehouse group was working with me on a houseplan; she called the bathroom the sh***er.
Oh my.....I do declayah! (I know which side you are speaking of)

Old 10-10-2009, 03:11 PM

428 posts, read 828,021 times
Thanks Geechie and everyone else this among the most interesting treads I've come across on CD. Got my google search working.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:17 AM

10 posts, read 49,956 times
all i know is any time you talk aBout the COOPER RIVER someone invariably corrects you and say "IT'S CUPPAH BOY".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area