U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-11-2009, 11:13 AM
LNS LNS started this thread

29 posts, read 51,356 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have been lurking here for a while, gathering lots of info from all of your posts. We have been trying to relocate to the SE for a while and my husband finally just(this morning) landed a job in Charleston. i haven't posted yet because i didn't wwant t jinx us but now that it is official, here goes....

We are relocating from West Chester, PA, a burb of Philadelphia. We have 4 year old and soon to be 9 year old boys. We also have two goofy rescued labradoodles. I am a stay at home mom and do volunteer work for a national dog rescue. I am also hoping to volunteer with the Sea Turtle program at the aquarium once we get settled.

My four year old currently attends a preschool at a UMC preschool and we have been really happy with it. We are not a religious family but are not opposed to introducing our children to different beliefs/cultures. We both grew up Catholic and have come to our own conclusions as adults. We would like to give our children the same options. We would be happy to send him to a christian preschool but also don't want the religion shoved down his throat. I don't mind a prayer before snack, talking about christian principles and talking about the meanings of religious holidays, but I don't want a school where it is a part of the everyday cirriculum.I am wondering if anyone knows anything about Hibben UMC preschool. I have searched this forum for something about this preschool and haven't found anything.

We have been in contact with a realtor that I found on this forum and have been very pleased so far with the communication and info about the different areas/neighborhoods of Mt Pleasant.

Suggestions on dog friendly beaches and other areas, especially places where well behaved dogs are allowed off leash at times, would be great.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 11:54 AM

158 posts, read 351,366 times
Welcome to the board! Hope you picked the same realtor we did last year when we moved to Mt Pleasant. He was extra helpful.
You can walk your dogs off the leash at the Isle of Palms beach from 5-8 am also there are several dog parks in the area. I think there's a new one near the recreation centre and one at the Palmetto County Park.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:26 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,670,909 times
Welcome, The most pet friendly beach is Folly Beach.

The better governement schools are in MtP or Summerville.

For Christian schools check out Port Gaude. Wiki article

Lots of dog rescues around here.

Lots to do with family.

I grew up in S. Jersey and lived in NE Philly for a few summers with Grands, hope you enjoy the move as much as I did, 20 yrs ago....

Old 09-11-2009, 01:01 PM

Thanks! I am not exclusively looking for a christian preschool, I would probably even prefer something that is not religiously based, but am not opposed to it. Any input on reasonably priced preschools with a god reputation would be very much appreciated.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:30 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,045,947 times
This is from an earlier post regarding dogs and beaches. Enjoy!

Quote:
Sullivans Island:
DOG ORDINANCE - The summer dog ordinances goes into effect on April 1, 2007.
- Dogs may be on the beach without a leash from 5am – 10 am
- No dogs allowed from 10 am – 6 pm
- Dogs may be on the beach on a leash (no longer than 10 feet) from 6 pm – 5 am

Isle of Palms:
Leash Laws: Dogs are welcome on the beach year-round. Leash laws are in effect daily, except 5 a.m.-8 a.m. Dogs are expected to be under voice command of their owners during that time. If cited, fees range from $100-$500, depending upon the frequency of the violation by the dog and owner.

Folly Beach:
From May 1st through September 30th, dogs are not allowed on the beach between 10 am and 5 pm. This law is very sensible because during those months the beach is extremely crowded during the daytime and also it’s unhealthy for dogs because of the excessive heat.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:15 PM

Hi DJ!

That is great that they can be off leash at IOP and Sullivan's Island.
What a great day we are having. Good news and offers all around:0)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area