U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 12:29 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,520,536 times

Advertisements

Mocking someone is not Racist, it may be in bad taste but not racist...

Who had Joe Wilson associated with that are openly white supremacists, the Son's of Confederate Veterans denounce the extremist just as much as I do?

Jessy calling NY 'Hymie town' would be the first one that pops to mind, his company rainbow push shaking down industries for money.

Here are a few examples for Al Sharpton....

I have been pulled over for being white in a black neighbor hood, twice, In NE DC and in East Philly, I am not from the south, I actually grew up in the north were there is some real racism.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:09 PM

1,049 posts, read 2,012,256 times
Well to qualify my statement- I feel perfectly fine saying that Wagner Terrace is both middle class and safe and that the Oak Forrest area is as well because I have friends in the former and live about 4-5 blocks from the latter. I feel perfectly safe at night in both. I have had friends on the beaches and South of Broad suffer as much crime as I have seen in those areas. And yes- we do not have whole areas of town with upper middle class blacks like Atlanta, the DC area or even Chicago. But their are areas with plenty of blacks who are middle Class by Charleston/SC standards.

I really do not care what neighborhoods people want to live in and I actually hope someone who is racist in any direction is guided to a neighborhood of their own preference because I would hate to be their neighbor otherwise. And I've had 2 of my 3 realtors put in a big pitch to guide me away from mixed neighborhoods. Because heaven knows the whole Hampton Park area was going nowhere during the late 90s (slaps self in head over that one.) And sipposedly uber liberal friends who insist on white neighborhoods for 'property values.'

So if gays/blacks/latinos/northerners/Yankees fans want to live with the same I wish them luck.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:12 PM

146 posts, read 210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Mocking someone is not Racist, it may be in bad taste but not racist...

Who had Joe Wilson associated with that are openly white supremacists, the Son's of Confederate Veterans denounce the extremist just as much as I do?

Jessy calling NY 'Hymie town' would be the first one that pops to mind, his company rainbow push shaking down industries for money.

Here are a few examples for Al Sharpton....

I have been pulled over for being white in a black neighbor hood, twice, In NE DC and in East Philly, I am not from the south, I actually grew up in the north were there is some real racism.
Mocking someone for their racial characteristics most certainly is racist. Limbaugh does it time and time again. And it's backed up by overtly racist political positions on his part- Limbaugh consistently rails against *blacks* for their sense of entitlement, not against the white poor (much of his audience), who benefit just as much from redistribution programs. And making fun of someone for being black- Sharpton, Jackson, or our president, normalizes the behavior and encourages it. It legitimates existing prejudices. I've not seen you make any concessions on this front and am not expecting any now, but know that Limbaugh's mocking Michael J. Fox for being spastic as a result of his parkinson's is a hateful and bigoted act.

If it makes you feel better about the horrid record this country has in its treatment of people with dark skin, you can keep telling yourself how hard it is to be a white dude. But the list of injustices this country has committed against pales in comparison to Jackson pushing hard for equal opportunity contracts. There is no history of systemic racism against whites in this country.

The only profiling practice I know of against whites is one where they are pulled over in predominately black neighborhoods on the assumption that they're there to buy drugs. That one cuts both ways.

I have no idea what you mean by "real racism." Is a segregated workforce fake racism? The 10+ point gap in unemployment here in Charleston a result of fake racism? The mere fact that you're suggesting a dichotomy between real and fake racism is suggestive of how little you understand this issue.

Re: Wilson- we're looking at the same data and coming to different conclusions on this one. His close affiliation to Strom Thurmond, a member of the Racist Hall of Fame, combined with his link to SCV (whose politics aren't as clear-cut as you make them sound) presents a pretty damning case. And he has embraced rather than condemned all of the people who have come out, filled with racist vitriol, to support him since the outburst.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:43 PM

Senator Byrd a Dem, and the longest serving senator was a member of the KKK so does that make all Democrats Racists?

Point out specific Racist statements by Rush Limbaugh that are quotable like I have with Jesse, Al and Jeremiah and then we can talk...

The 10+ point disparity in Unemployment is most likely due to more of an educational difference than a racial difference...

Show me a segregated workforce and I will call the EOC myself....

Old 09-27-2009, 05:25 PM

146 posts, read 210,320 times
Quote:
Senator Byrd a Dem, and the longest serving senator was a member of the KKK so does that make all Democrats Racists?

Point out specific Racist statements by Rush Limbaugh that are quotable like I have with Jesse, Al and Jeremiah and then we can talk...

The 10+ point disparity in Unemployment is most likely due to more of an educational difference than a racial difference...

Show me a segregated workforce and I will call the EOC myself....
Re: Wilson- I'm looking at his relationship to Thurmond, his support of a group that is partially composed of vociferous racists, and his support of the Con flag, an issue I'd rather not get into a whole thing over, and placing him on one side of what I described above as a continuum rather than a binary, either/or. You might locate him at a different spot.

I listened to Limbaugh for years. I study media, so I listened as much as I could stand. But since you asked, here's the first thing Google pulled up.
Seriously, the man does nothing but spew hatred on a daily basis. I get that he's an entertainer and his job is to get ratings, but there never has been a line he won't cross. My point all along with this has been that your claim white racists are marginalized and maligned is simply inaccurate.

The Jackson quote, FWIW, was years ago and he apologized for it.

Access to education, in a country that only completely formally desegregated within the past 40 years, is absolutely an issue with racial components. Other than wishcasting for a postracial utopia, I'm not sure how you look at numbers like that and conclude that there's not something amiss. In a city where so much depends on making wealthy and mostly white tourists feel comfortable, you don't think race is a factor when hiring servers at restaurants? Bus boys? I've been on the other side of that conversation enough times to know how it goes...those are not jobs you need a degree for.

Again, the desire to inhabit a postracial world can be a noble one provided it doesn't come with your stipulation that a historically radically disenfranchised group deny it's experience of being disenfranchised, both in the past and at present. Last week I heard, in 2009, some guys claim that evolution applied only to blacks, while whites descended from Adam and Eve like it says in the Christian Bible. There is "scientific" proof to back up this theory, of course, but it's from 1880. As long as these attitudes persist, and the people that hold them hold positions of power, being postracial is a challenge for the disenfranchised and marginalized group. Sometimes I think that people with your opinions don't have an understanding of how deep the scars of institutionalized racism cut, and how long such a thing takes to recover from, not in an emotional sense, but in a material one.

Re: Segregation of the work force- I'll look up the numbers for Charleston, saw them before we moved here- this was one of the first things that struck us moving here. For a city with such a large African American population, there's a striking lack of presence of people form that group in professional jobs. This was a really new experience for us, especially having lived in northeastern cities my whole adult life.

I like reading this blog for serious commentary on race in the media.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:41 PM

404 posts, read 729,317 times
Quote:
So how are Joe Wilson, Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck Racists?

I can quote the statements from Jessy Jackson, Al Sharpton and Jeremiah Write, can you do the same for the others?

Joe Wilson making a statement that most people where thinking is Racist, how?

Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck having nationally syndicated radio shows are racists, if they were they would not have lasted long, the FCC would have shut them down a long time ago.......

Being conservative is not racist, it is about personal responsibility and less Government interference in our daily lives.....
Wow.....

Normally I would go in on people like you but I'm still jet lagged and this Alaska cold air has me tired.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:25 PM

You are an academic correct?

You teach at a University?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:41 PM

First off you need to read you history on the Confederate Flag and the Confederacy, the Confederate flag has it's own thread on here, check it out....

As for Limbaugh, you probably listen to him more than I do, he is too liberal for me, as for his quotes where they taken out of context, I don't know I didn't hear them......

Bus boys and servers are entry level positions that require no education, mostly they are filled by college kids working to either pay for their education or weekend beer this has nothing to do with race or the unemployment numbers here in SC. The closing or reduction of major industries does, JW Aluminum is running on a skeleton crew, Nucor Steel has cut production by nearly 30%......

That quote from Jesse was years ago, but what about when he was caught on an open mic wanting to cut the testicles off of PBO while he was campaigning because of his stance on personal responsibility?

The man has nearly as many gaffs as Joe Biden...

The reason there is a lack of representation is the lack of Education.....

Old 09-27-2009, 08:33 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,044,681 times
Go mrpeatrie!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:35 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,044,681 times
Default Ummmmmmmmm

Oh! But is that (MLB) Yankee fans or just yankee fans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area