Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 7,100 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from NYC (Brooklyn) to Mt. Pleasant. I don't drive, so a bit nervous about that. Heard that public transportation is not best. I walk everywhere, or take trains. I will have to deal with that. Just trying to find a neighborhood that is walkable, and fun for an 8 year old girl. I am not snooty or rich, just a regular, friendly Brooklyn gal. We should arrive at the end of July. Doing it from home, as this is a job transfer for hubby, who works for MSC. Trying to figure out a decent place to live, a school nearby, girl scouts, just fun things to do with my girl, without always having to rely on hubby for transportation until I get my license and/or a second car.

The humidity won't bother me, because NYC gets horrible, hot humid summers, but the difference is, that here, on a hot humid day, I was taking the underground train.......not pleasant!! At least most apartment complexes have a pool, central air, and beaches nearby. Well, we have beaches nearby also (can you say Coney Island?) LOL, but somehow, I know it's just not the same as a southern beach. Looking forward to palm trees, scared of bumping into a gator while walking my dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 11:45 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Barb, hate to tell you our public transport is not 'not the best' it is nonexistent other than few bus routes in and around downtown and N. Charleston/MtP.....

Either get used to taking a cab or get in a drivers ed class fast...

Old 06-08-2013, 12:15 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
Also, I've experienced NYC heat wave humidity before and it's not really the same. Given I haven't been around here through July and August, but I'd tell you to just be prepared for a "more humid" humidity, if that sounds right. It's not bad (I am really digging the heat and not minding the humidity, personally), but it's not like, "oh I've experienced humidity, so the southeast US is fine". Yeah, no.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:37 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,079 times
I would definitely invest in a car. I can't really think of anywhere walkable to live minus downtown and maybe parts of Old Mt. Pleasant (even then, you're gonna have a really hard time grocery shopping...).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area