Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 04:26 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,775,979 times

Advertisements

Having lived in Detroit, Philadelphia and Northern Virginia for many years, I laugh a little when I read how congested the Charleston area has gotten to many living in the area. Most areas of Charleston do get a little congested during a relatively limited rush hour compared to "rush hour" I experienced commuting into Washington, DC from Northern Virginia for 17 years before moving to Charleston in 1988. In order to provide a better feel for at least Mt. Pleasant traffic than can be gotten from descriptive terms alone, I have video taped a drive from the Mt. Pleasant Town Center to the foot of the Arthur Ravenel Bridge at about 3:00pm. on a Saturday afternoon. I shut off the video at a stop light on one or two occasions, but for the most part my camera was running "nonstop." The tape may be boring to most, but it may keep some potential families from eliminating the Charleston area from relocation consideration because of the misconception that traffic is terrible.

A Mid-day Saturday Drive On Highway 17 (Johnnie Dodds Blvd.) Through The Center Of Mt. Pleasant. Click On Link For High Definition Video

Last edited by USCJoe; 10-04-2009 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 04:39 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Now you need to take a video of driving I26 from Exit 199 (Summerville) into Charleston at about 8:00 am in the morning. Just kidding - wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:21 PM

62 posts, read 106,248 times
Why don't you make a video showing all the homes for sale in Mount Pleasant???? That would be a long long video.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:28 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,679,661 times
Why would you make a video on a Sat.? There isn't any traffic during that time unless it's around the beach areas. It only takes me 20 minutes to get from downtown to Goose Creek at 3:00 on a Sat.. During the week can take 40 minutes on a good day leaving my home at 6:20am.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:47 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
May I join luvsdabeach in a giant expression of WTF???? Who is worried about traffic on a Saturday when tourist season has already ended. Dare you to film that same stretch or road- or 61 in West Ashley, 26 anywhere west of Montague, St James Blvd, Ashley Phosphate, etc during a weekday rush. Its pretty frickin bad. Not Boston, NYC, San Diego bad but worse than what I've seen in the rest of SC and comparable to what I've seen on US1 north of Raleigh and Richmond and Pittsburg traffic.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:58 PM

I took the video on Saturday afternoon as that is the time when many Mt. Pleasant residents as well as others are out and about on their way to shopping, visiting friends, doing errands etc. You mentioned that there isn't any traffic during that time. That is exactly my point. It is obvious you have not lived in a large city where many local residents have come from and where traffic is heavy not only during rush hour but on week-ends. At 6:20am in the morning, I could drive from the Mt. Pleasant town center to downtown in about the same time as it would take mid day Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
Why would you make a video on a Sat.? There isn't any traffic during that time unless it's around the beach areas. It only takes me 20 minutes to get from downtown to Goose Creek at 3:00 on a Sat.. During the week can take 40 minutes on a good day leaving my home at 6:20am.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:13 PM

I could video tape the same stretch of traffic during tourist season and it would not be particularly much heavier. I have agreed that most parts of the Charleston area do have a "rush hour" where traffic is heavy for a period. Seeing that most of South Carolina is rural and the towns smaller than Charleston, it would not be surprising that the traffic in the Charleston area is heavier than in other parts of the state. I can leave my home north of the Mt. Pleasant town center at 7:00am during the week and be downtown in about 20 minutes, not a particular grueling drive in my opinion. Keep in mind that there is a high percentage of Mt. Pleasant residents who do not drive during rush hour and spend their time on the road on the week-ends and during non rush hour times. I would be surprised if luvsdabeach would use the expression "wtf" in expressing his/her reaction to my few comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
May I join luvsdabeach in a giant expression of WTF???? Who is worried about traffic on a Saturday when tourist season has already ended. Dare you to film that same stretch or road- or 61 in West Ashley, 26 anywhere west of Montague, St James Blvd, Ashley Phosphate, etc during a weekday rush. Its pretty frickin bad. Not Boston, NYC, San Diego bad but worse than what I've seen in the rest of SC and comparable to what I've seen on US1 north of Raleigh and Richmond and Pittsburg traffic.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:20 PM

I took the video on Saturday afternoon as that is when many Mt. Pleasant residents and visitors are out an about on errands or returning home from being out during the day. At 6:20am. in the morning during the week, I can get to North Charleston or downtown in a very short time. I am describing/shooting the traffic in the Mt. Pleasant area rather than Goose Creek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post

Old 10-05-2009, 06:01 AM

15 posts, read 25,527 times
I know some of you complain, but if you live in Northern VA you would think differently. 3pm on a Saturday means I am staying home. I can't get to DC, because the highways are stopped. I can't get to wal-mart by the way is only 4 miles, because I know it will take me about 25 minutes to get there. It's the hole reason I hope to relocated in the next year or so.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:08 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Joe,

Thanks for posting the videos. It takes a lot of time and effort to do that.

I don't always comment on all of them, but I do watch them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area