Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:10 AM

38 posts, read 97,457 times

Advertisements

Doing a little more in-depth analysis on a few potential opportunities (both with same company). I've found the numerous posts on relocation, so I have a few ideas in mind for the 3rd on-site interview, but was wondering if I could get a broader idea of who which areas are more accepting of dobies (doberman pinsher). He's 8 right now, so getting rid of him isn't an option. Very low key, well behaved, but there is that stigma with landlords...

Anyone know of specific landlords/apt complexes that are amenable to such breeds or even large dogs? Right now, he's passing as a Great Dane/Shepard mix at my current complex, but everyone knows better... unfortunately, when policies like this are created they don't correctly identify the true drivers of associated outcomes, so everyone suffers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 09:42 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,322,821 times
Most appartments will not allow a dog that big, you will most likely have to look into renting a house.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:18 PM

Thanks TC, I expected as much. Also looking into purchasing a condo/th, any HOAs I may have issues with, that anyone is aware of?

Old 11-18-2009, 03:26 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,120 times
There have been some I've run across in the past that restrict, or attempt to restrict, homeowners from having large breed "dangerous breed" dogs from the complex. I think most now have simply gravitated towards a weight restriction. I'd certainly recommend reading through the HOA covenants and restrictions before even considering any specific condo/townhome community.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:40 PM

45 posts, read 107,180 times
Check the Madison at Park West. Very large-dog friendly.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:52 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
I'm sure Watermark in Mount Pleasant is dog friendly. I've seen that they even provide poop and scoop baggies for their tenants

Old 11-19-2009, 11:37 AM

Thanks everyone, appreciate the leads!

Old 11-23-2009, 07:23 AM

209 posts, read 533,921 times
Just have to say that it's not necessarily the landlords that are calling the shots regarding some large breeds... it's the insurance companies. I have a list somewhere that I pull out when my rental comes open. It was provided by my insurance company. If I rent to someone with one of these breeds, *I* will personally be held liable if something happens on the property and my insurance company won't cover me.

I've never understood why people that don't own a house become owners of large breed dogs. It just seems so unfair to the animal to not have a yard to run in, unless the owner is particularly diligent about taking the pet to a park to run.

Good luck finding a place!

Old 11-23-2009, 11:40 AM

Thanks Xinervelle. Being a laxer, I make sure my dog gets his running in. I was looking to go smaller, but you can't really wrestle with a boxer or small lab without breaking something. Beyond that, didn't live in one of the best areas in Birmingham, but once I got Pfizer, the bums & crackheads seemed to stay off our porch

Old 11-23-2009, 01:45 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,322,821 times
I used to have a Collie/Australian Sheep dog mix that would wrestle like a Rottweiler.....

She scared more people than most bigger dogs would and she was only 18" tall and weight 32 lbs, and was smarter than every other dog I have ever had......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area