U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 09:18 PM

14 posts, read 24,505 times

Advertisements

I'm a huge lover of your city. I discovered it, quite randomly, three years ago and have been there four times since. (I wish it were more but I live in MI...about 1200 miles away!) I have a few more years of college left but I hope to move to the area after graduation. (History major w. education and a huge interest in Historic Preservation- my first walk through downtown and I fell in love!)

Here's my question- I've done all the normal things to do, Boone Hall, Fort Sumter, the Yorktown, etc, etc. What are some "must sees" that are, more or less, off the beaten path? Things your average visitor wouldn't see or restaurants that only the locals know.

Any information is appreciated! I'm counting down the days until my return. We rent a house on Folly Beach- my favorite week of the year! (:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 05:37 PM

2,514 posts, read 6,781,550 times
Go see the Angel Oak.
Bowen's Island restaurant towards Folly for local seafood/oysters.
The Wreck restaurant on Shem Creek for the same.
Tour the Provost Dungeon or the Old Jail.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:50 PM

2,501 posts, read 6,489,534 times
Two "must see's" which are off the beaten trail can be done the same day you go to Angel Oak: Irvin House Winery/Vineyards and the Charleston Tea Plantation (the only tea farm in the U.S.) - both on Wadmalaw Island. You can spend 3--45 minutes at Angel Oak, then 2 hours at the Tea Plantation and another 2-3 hours at the winery. If you need directions, either Google them or send me a PM and I'll give you directions.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:37 PM

7,934 posts, read 14,072,132 times
Has Bowen's Island reopened yet, I had heard they were having zoning issues on the rebuild?

While at the winery don't forget the Firefly distillery where they make the firefly vodka....

Don't forget Fort Moultrie, take a ghost walk and I would suggest Bert's Bar but sadly it isn't there anymore....

Old 11-30-2009, 06:08 AM

602 posts, read 1,187,773 times
If Wadmalaw and John's Islands are your day trip destinations, add Rosebank Farms to your "to-do" list.

From the road it may appear to be an ordinary produce stand stand (like its owner, Sidi Limehouse, looks are deceiving!). Stop the car and get out. You've got a whole lot of exploring to do.

Rosebank grows produce and flowers and stocks local shrimp. Out back is Mr. Sidi's collection of "ani-mules"-ducks, chickens, rabbits, pigs, crazy goats that climb stairs for food and more.

Farther back is the Walnut Hill school house. All sorts of old relics have been found on the farms property and placed in the school house.

Heck, the drive out to Rosebank is worth it just to see what message board Mr. Sidi has put out for the day (last week it was--"What would Jesus do? Save the Spit!"; a reference to the fight to save a fragile piece of earth known as Capt Sam's Spit).

Keep a lookout for Mr. Sidi's moveable chicken coop. He has built an elaborate coop and attach it to a tractor. He moves it around the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area