Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 07:47 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj
Grace, you are definitely in the "nicer" area of North Charleston. Not all of North Charleston is run down and bad. The closer you get to Summerville and Goose Creek the better it gets.
What is goose creek like, I have 2 dogs am single, retired, but will work!

now i am in florida, moved fom boston!

judy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 04:59 AM

57 posts, read 221,023 times
Thanks for the info, Grace.

We're actually planning on driving up over Labor Day weekend. It's helps narrowing it down to a few areas as opposed to driving aimlessly through Charleston all weekend.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:14 AM

890 posts, read 4,326,689 times
Goose Creek is a community located in Berkeley County of around 30,000 or so. The largest development there is called Crowfield which consists of homes of many price ranges from townhomes to single family. There is also a golf course. A new Lowes and other shops are planned and a huge development that will be located between Summerville and Goose Creek called The Parks at Berkeley which will consist of 13,000 new homes is planned to begin this year. There will be parks and ballfields and 5 new schools. There are other developments planned or currently under way also in Goose Creek that consist of over 5,000+ homes. So as you can see Goose Creek is seeing some serious growing in the coming years.

Last edited by scjj; 07-26-2006 at 06:42 AM..

Old 07-26-2006, 07:25 AM

890 posts, read 4,326,689 times
Newington Plantation --- Older Neighborhood, good for families. Located near two good elementary schools. Dorchester District 2 schools.

Weatherstone - New large development located close to the Azalea Square Shopping Center and I-26. This is in Berkeley County.

Woodlands - Woodlands is a Centex neighborhood in Wescott Plantation. Another large new development with a variety of homes and price ranges. A golf course. Dorchester District 2 schools. This is in an area that is seeing a lot of new development and new schools. Located just on the outskirts of Summerville heading towards the nicer area of North Charleston.

Waterside Landing - Waterside Landing is brand spanking new. They don't even have a formal entrance yet. Homes starting in the 190's. Homes are just starting to be built in there and are in the framing stage. DD2 schools.

Summer Park - New Centex neighborhood in the Ladson area. I believe there is a new Ryland neighborhood near there too. Charleston County School district.

Highwoods Plantation - Located near Waterside Landing. New development that is about half way completed. Homes from the 160's. DD2 schools.

Felder Creek - Not familiar with sorry, but I believe it is in Berkeley County.

You really should hook up with a realtor and let them take you around to get a better feel for the area. I can recommend a really good one that we used. She is very knowledgable and one of the best in the area. Hope this helps!

Last edited by scjj; 07-26-2006 at 07:53 AM..

Old 07-26-2006, 08:32 AM

54 posts, read 320,632 times
Wow, really great posts from Amzn Grace and scjj! All I can add is that Newington Plantation is worth checking out off of Boone Hill Rd, Newington Elem. is a fine school. Larger yards and old growth trees etc. There is something that you would need to make sure of before you decide on a neighborhood here, sometimes a Summerville address will be another county other than Dorchester, never figured that out... Felder Creek seems to be a nicer "starter home" community. Summer Park is a mix of Charleston and Dorchester county. They have clear cut that area to put their landscaping in. Not my thing, but they are selling. They are building new schools to handle all the new communities. www.dorchester2.k12.sc.us is where you can get info on that. I think that it's obvious that the majority of us in Summerville are very happy!!

Old 07-26-2006, 09:21 AM

57 posts, read 221,023 times
Thanks for all the info.

Definitely helpful.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,801 times
[quote=Lowcountry Girl;43181]

Hi, you said almost all of North Charleston is a nightmare. My daughter is going to school in Trident Tech in North Charleston, do you know the area of the school, do you feel its unsafe?? Thanks for any info.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:48 PM

413 posts, read 1,368,274 times
I know you all are talking about houses but what about apartments? How hard is it to find a good apartment? I was thinking at one time of moving to NYC but quickly changed my mind. I found out you have to have proof that you earn 45 times the rent in order to be considered for a place. And rents in NYC are outrageous. To anyone who rents, do they put you through hoops in order to get and apartment?

I am planning on coming to Charleston to look around but have no clue about the neighborhoods. What are the safer neighborhoods, especially for women?

Ideally I would love a 2 bedroom apartment because my best friend is moving with me. But, if the rents are too high than we can manage a 1 bedroom since I have a sleeper sofa and can take the living room while she has the bedroom.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:30 PM

899 posts, read 3,490,417 times
Roberta Chris:
There are parts of North Charleston that are very nice indeed. I happen to really like Oak Bluff townhomes. I've placed two students in one unit & one teacher in another unit there for this school year. It is very secluded, almost has a tropical feel. The place is full of college students & young professionals. Yet, it always seems peaceful when I go there.

It's right up the road from Trident Tech and the Northwoods Mall.

I would also recommend Oak Bluff for RIWrites for the same reason. I would probably go with a 2 master bedroom unit or a 2 bedroom plus loft plus 2 1/2 bath combo. They rent for around $1000 a month. Pretty good rate to split costs.

There are tons of rentals in the low $1k range in the general area. Some are safer than others, just like anyplace else.

Good Luck!

Old 07-01-2008, 05:26 PM

8 posts, read 63,899 times
to scjj...north charleston is NOT mostly industrial and low income..in fact every area of charleston (including the wonderful mt. pleasant has low income areas)...Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by Yac; 07-03-2008 at 04:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area