U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 07:08 AM

63 posts, read 181,469 times

Advertisements

We are active retirees. Our Daughter & her family live on DI. I love the feel of Dunes West (more spacious) Vs DI's smaller lots. Which place is best based on lifestyle, home value, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 01:12 PM

2,525 posts, read 7,190,034 times
"Best" is a difficult answer, but you hit the nail on the head with regard to lot sizes. Daniel Island might have more social activities for you within the specific neighborhood/downtown area with all the concerts, tennis, soccer, golf, etc. However, once you don't find something in the neighborhood to do, you'll be traveling to/through Mt. Pleasant for activities, shopping, entertainment, beaches. That alone might put Dunes West over the top, all other things being equal.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:09 PM

66 posts, read 154,358 times
I have enjoyed DI since it is central to most everything (N. Charleston, Summerville, & Mt Pleasant). I also appreciate the peacefulness here, but at the same time just a few miles from major shopping.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:52 PM

24 posts, read 57,617 times
Default DW vs DI

Daniel Island is billed as an "island town" and the developers have pretty much delivered on their promises. Taxes are a little higher on DI becuase it is in the City of Charleston (Berkeley County). Insurance may be somewhat less but check around with insurance companies to compare actual costs.

HOA fees are higher in Dunes West due to gated community and private roads within the gates. Amenities (pool, tennis, boat ramp, clubhouse with work out room) are not included in the DW HOA fees - amenity center is a separate fee but is optional, as is the golf. Golf on DI is membership only - very pricey. The golf club in DW is semi-public so one does not have to be a member to play.

Two different styles of neighborhoods - Dunes West is more of a traditional neighborhood while Daniel Island is what they call Neo-Traditional. Typically get more house for the dollar in Dunes West with larger yard. Dunes West also has lots of activities tied into the amenity center membership.

Some good buys to be had in both areas. Depending upon where you lived in DW - drive time to DI would be around 10-14 minutes - going in the DI back entrance off Clements Ferry Rd.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,672 times
From a lifestyle standpoint, Daniel Island unquestionably is superior. Yes one can expect to pay a little more from a price per square foot basis, but the value is certainly there to support it (get what you pay for). A good resource to assist in your comparisons is myislandtown.com for Daniel Island, and dunes-west.com for Dunes West.

Regarding location, I used to live in RiverTowne (across entrance to Dunes West). While I liked the home I lived in, I felt very isolated from the amenities of MT Pleasant and Charleston, and since then the traffic to and from has gotten much worse (though it depends on what you consider "traffic"). Given the two choices, from a location standpoint Daniel Island is more equidistant to Mt Pleasant, Isle of Palms (beach), and Charleston. Even though Dunes West is technically in Mt Pleasant, it often doesn't "feel" that way from personal experience.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:54 PM

1,889 posts, read 4,831,111 times
FYI- Harris teeter is under construction right outside of the Rivertowne/Dunes west entrances.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:11 PM

543 posts, read 1,023,596 times
DI all the way....its paradise

Old 03-01-2010, 03:39 PM

8 posts, read 20,336 times
I live on Daniel Island and am probably in a similar situation to your daughter (3 young children). Both my parents and my in-laws have moved to Daniel Island (one set from Spartanburg, SC and the other from San Antonio, TX) and have absolutely loved it! They tell everyone it was the best decision they ever made
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area