Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 09:19 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,521,714 times

Advertisements

I have visited Charleston only two times but loved it both times. Mainly the water areas and the parks like "Armory Park?"

I am looking at moving to Charleston or Hilton Head (Richmond Hill and East Savannah in the running as well) when my wife finishes her pharmaceutical Ph.D here at Carolina.

My question is: Is there a place where I can go to the butcher shop and bread bakery in the same area? I would assume it would be in a downtown setting but I like the feel of walking areas like this and love to meet these kind of people and buy goods from that the normal grocery wouldn't cary.

Also what parts of Charleston have character, like downtown old Charleston without the millions of dollars price tag? I don't like the cookie cutter homes that a builder built and the whole neighborhood looks the same.

Does anyone know of any pharmaceutical companies in the area? I haven't found any and if my wife couldn't get a job that means it wouldn't be possible to move there b/c she is looking forward to finishing school and getting a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 09:29 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,274,327 times
Only Pharmaceuticals are the recreational kind....

As for Character, try old Summerville, still pricey, Old MtP very pricey and James or John Islands....

Old 12-31-2009, 10:53 PM

66 posts, read 196,891 times
I know of no Pharm companies near here. Summerville (as does Walterboro) has some lovely neighborhoods but if anyone finds a good old fashioned bakery, I would love to know where it is.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:46 AM

2,527 posts, read 7,995,116 times
Pharmaceutical sales, sure, plenty of opportunities. Pharmaceutical chemistry positions, that's a bit tougher, but they do exist in the area. Butcher and Baker close by? Try Ted's Butcher Block on East Bay, and Saffron across the street for homemade desserts.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:16 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,461,843 times
I have a cousin that lives in MtP and works for one of the larger pharm co.s, they just had a major lay off... he was one of the lucky one's to keep his job, so far... not sure how stable anything is these days...

Old 01-03-2010, 05:11 PM

662 posts, read 1,406,333 times
Would your wife consider teaching at MUSC Pharmacy school?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:05 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,521,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lisat View Post
Would your wife consider teaching at MUSC Pharmacy school?
Good idea, she is looking into academia which is her first thoughts but that has changed mainly b/c of the money that industry sceintists make at the larger drug companies. Something for me to keep in mind.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:16 AM

459 posts, read 1,636,686 times
You might keep in mind Pharma reps do their work on the road. That may be a job for her to look into. She could live just about anywhere as long as an airport is nearby.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:25 PM

10 posts, read 19,840 times
we don't have a butcher or baker, but the place you're looking for is Park Circle in North Charleston. you can read my gushing about it on this post (http://www.city-data.com/forum/12361940-post10.html). I'm glad to talk up the good and bad about it if you're interested, but there's tons of character here.

Sorry I don't have anything new to add about the pharma stuff...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area