U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:22 AM

11 posts, read 18,985 times

Advertisements

We have visited numerous retirement communities over the last couple of years in anticipation of moving later this year.After spending 10 days in the area, Del Webb Charleston is our top choice.

What is your general impression of the DWC now that it is fully operational? Are the planned activites well attended? Are more activites being added as more folks move in? What do you dislike about DWC? Has construction been completed on the Publix and/or HT grocery stores?

I have read and heard about poor construction quality by Pulte. Is this a problem at DWC? Were you able to negotiate on the home and option prices?

I love anything that has wheels. Is there a road cycling club at DWC? I tried to ride with the Summerville club but was unable to locate the coffee shop they apparently start from. How about a car club? Any tracks in the area that offer track days for personal cars? Are there any arrive-and-drive karting facilities? I currently participate in the NASA races at VIr, but it will be about 5 hours away.

Sorry for the long post, but I just came across this site. And the archives on DWC were kinda old.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 08:19 AM

186 posts, read 518,251 times
Stella,

I figure you'll be answering the DW questions so I just wanted to say hi and Happy New Year! We're planning to visit again soon so maybe this time we can get together for a chat. I'll let you know.

Pam

Old 01-09-2010, 08:39 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,602,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellerz3 View Post
How about a car club? Any tracks in the area that offer track days for personal cars? Are there any arrive-and-drive karting facilities? I currently participate in the NASA races at VIr, but it will be about 5 hours away.

Thanks
Hi oldyeller,

I had questions about the track availability as well. Breeze through the Amateur Road Racing thread, there is a lot of information posted there

Best of Luck

Old 01-09-2010, 10:28 AM

128 posts, read 356,659 times
Hi Oldyellar,

We too, are looking at retirement spots and also considering 55+ commumities. Looked at Sun Carolina Lakes in Ft. Mill and liked it and Charlotte, however we would like a warmer climate. We live in NJ and it is freezing in the winter. What did you like about Cane Bay and more imprtantly Charleston?

I attached the link to poorly built by Pulte since that is our once concern that their homes are terrible and it is also my understanding that the community needs to be 90% built out before the board changes over to the homeowner?

PoorlyBuiltByPulte.info

If anyone else could also give us info on other communities that are reasonable priced (around 300K and new or newer homes) my husband and I would greatly appreciate it. We are both in mid to late 50"s, gree shoppers (whole foods) and really like something more laid back than Jersey!

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2010, 12:35 PM

174 posts, read 590,660 times
I have posted just about everything there is to know about Del Webb. Love it here. Been here 2 1/2 years... Came when there were no streets, no sales center, no Resort (amenity Center) and not models. If you look back on the blogs you'll see all the postings...

Pam...got tired of saying the same thing about Del Webb. Been doing it for 2 years. Let me know when you come.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:43 PM

11 posts, read 18,985 times
sandyart,

Charleston has a vibrant restored area that, based upon the 4 days we spent there, feels safe. They have been trying to do the same here in Richmond, but the progress has been slow. On Friday nite it was difficult to find a parking place. The streets and sidewalks were filled with fun-loving folks. There are numerous museums, historic buildings,cultural events, professional sporting events, places to eat, teaching medical facilites, and activites associated with the college. C is near beaches and the climate is mild. Everything seems to be reasonably priced.

We spent 2 days at DWC. The prices are excellent, much cheaper than DW Charlotte. Everyone we talked to really likes living there and was quite friendly. There are scheduled activities and a very nice fitness center and associated amenities.The houses do not back up to each other as is the case at other communities. C is nearby and Summersville seems to be a nice little town.

We have been to Ocala, New Bern, and Wilmington. The Villages is unique due to its size and amenties. I doubt that anyplace even comes close to being like it. However, it is kind of in the middle of noplace. Charlotte is on the schedule for next month.

Good Luck

Old 01-10-2010, 11:59 AM

661 posts, read 1,204,691 times
For more 55+ community information in the Charleston area try Charleston South Carolina retirement communities and active adult communities in South Carolina I've sold several homes in Del Webb and my clients are extremely happy there.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:52 AM

2,221 posts, read 3,186,423 times
Real Estate Agents and other businesses will not advertise their services nor solicit business in their posts. Create a free business profile by going to http://www.city-data.com/profiles/add and fill out your forum profile instead. Do not include links to your websites, MLS listings, etc. in your posts. Do not try to push the envelope by attempting to hide your intentions. Do not solicit business by DMs. Show your knowledge about the area and help people and you will get leads naturally. Real estate agents should join the usergroup for them here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/profi...editusergroups. It will set your user title and add an icon next to your name, so you will get free advertising with your posts.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:22 AM

180 posts, read 349,487 times
We are visiting DWC next month, again. Although we are very familiar with Charleston through the years, our major concern is the location near Summerville. DWC is located east of I26 from Summerville in a rural area under development--no shopping nearby. Some exciting future development which is probaby 3-5yrs away. It is 30 min. from the Charleston downtown marketplace. Yet the facilities are great, safe environment away from main roads. Pricing is the best of the DWs.

Our favorite is DW The Haven in Bluffton,SC. It is $15-$20K more expensive for the same model. But the ambiance is superior to Summerville, aside from being 12 miles from HH Island oceanfront. A 75% probability that we will go there.

Personally I see no merit in living near Charlotte. It has never had much to offer compared to Richmond, Raleigh, Charleston, Savannah, Atlanta, etc.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:23 AM

180 posts, read 349,487 times
Sandy, if you are still visiting DWs, we are visiting DWC next month, again. Although we are very familiar with Charleston through the years, our major concern is the location near Summerville. DWC is located east of I26 from Summerville in a rural area under development--no shopping nearby. Some exciting future development which is probaby 3-5yrs away. It is 30 min. from the Charleston downtown marketplace. Yet the facilities are great, safe environment away from main roads. Pricing is the best of the DWs.

Our favorite is DW The Haven in Bluffton,SC. It is $15-$20K more expensive for the same model. But the ambiance is superior to Summerville, aside from being 12 miles from HH Island oceanfront. A 75% probability that we will go there.

Personally I see no merit in living near Charlotte. It has never had much to offer compared to Richmond, Raleigh, Charleston, Savannah, Atlanta, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area