U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:00 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,685,892 times

Advertisements

Howdy Yall,

What do yall think about the proposed new laws prohibiting texting and non-hands free taking on cell phones while driving?

As a Libertarian, you may be able to guess what I am thinking but I still would like to hear from all you.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 08:11 AM

1,889 posts, read 3,349,680 times
It's going to be interesting to see how they enforce it! But I agree driving with a cell phone in your hand is dangerous!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:54 AM

Yes it is dangerous but do we need yet another law, or should we just enforce the existing laws on the books that cover distracted driving, which also covers eating, changing the radio station, etc.....

Old 02-19-2010, 10:34 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,153,765 times
I'm in the cell business, so texting is like sleeping for me, its gonna happen. Will still do it while driving. Like anything else though, I use caution.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:32 PM

3,011 posts, read 2,536,033 times
They won't even police the work zone on I26...that place is MUCH more dangerous than someone on a cell phone (and I hate people on cell phones while driving).

Old 02-20-2010, 09:36 AM

45 posts, read 46,484 times
If you lived in a college town you might be more prone to accept the law. You guys live in a college city....It's different....there are 40 thousand residents here and 60 thousand students....all of them (the students) texting and talking on the phone every second of their lives. Even texting while walking is a problem here...and talking and texting while driving makes walking/driving/and biking a real hazard. As far as the law goes, it is enforced more in the event of an accident. In other words, if you run over a pedestrian while talking (which is easily established), then the 'accident' is not deemed an 'accident', but a felony.

So just like driving while intoxicated, the law cannot be enforced consistently. But the consequences for engaging in such behavior should be taken into consideration before LOLing at something ur BFF sent you.

It may be that not every region needs such laws. Hoosiers, though they drive like demons on an open highway, tend to be cautious in populated and pedestrian areas. What is more midwesterners tend to be polite, and tend to pay attention. Here in the Northeast, where no one seemingly ever pays attention to what anyone else does, the law seems kind of necessary. In Montreal, where courtesy on the roads is frowned upon, the law became essential because things were just plain out of control.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:21 AM

158 posts, read 351,712 times
I don't think it's "another law"..."we don't need a nanny state". It's a necessity! If wearing the seatbelt became a law and that's for your own protection I believe that using cell phones while driving is very dangerous not only to yourself and your passengers but to the other drivers on the road, too.
Some 10-15 years ago we all lived just fine without the cell phones. I can't think of a phone call that can't wait a few seconds or minutes until it's safe for you to stop and talk.
I drive around Wando High school on regular bases. When I see a 15 year old driving a monster truck while texting heading towards me, I cringe!

Last edited by Catgirl; 02-21-2010 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: .

Old 02-21-2010, 07:22 AM

741 posts, read 1,152,632 times
Up here in NYC.. there was a law prohibiting hand held cell phone use while driving. But the enforcement is almost ZERO. Daily I see dozens of 'violaters' using their cell phone while driving, parking etc.

One incident right outside my house I saw a woman get pulled over what looked like a police officer pulling her over for using a handheld cellphone. She pleaded and cried and he became more and more stern with her... he really let her have it the more she complained and pleaded and cried.... I said finally an officer enforcing the law.

But THEN... he laughs and hands back her license and lets her go and smiles to her. I was in shock !!! She drove away smiling and with a story to tell her friends she talked and pleaded herself away from an obvious moving violation... and I am quite certain will continue to use the handheld cellphone.

Laws are one thing, enforcement is another

Old 02-21-2010, 11:14 PM

4,239 posts, read 3,808,518 times
I do think the law should be general -- 'distraction' but I get why it is so specific. It will cut down on the number of folks who insist on being distracted by their cell phones. You know -- can you argue that if it saves one life it is worth it...........yeah.

Unfortunately most people aren't so smart and their inability to behave responsibly can have a lethal impact on others.......

I think if I was someone who lost someone because someone was on the phone -- I would think it was ridiculous NOT to pass a law.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:10 AM

It all comes down to what pokr said above "texting is like sleeping for me, its gonna happen. Will still do it while driving. Like anything else though, I use caution." How much caution is enough? Do we really need additional laws telling us to not do something that is already proven dangerous? Just some food for thought....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area