U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:17 AM

2,517 posts, read 7,053,391 times

Advertisements

I'm just thankful my mail carrier still has all of her fingers. For some reason, my lab/bull is convinced the mail is trying to break in and kill us all through the letter slot in the front door. I've never seen her launch herself at anything like she launches herself at the mail. It's scary, and gutbusting funny at the same time. We keep her crated during mail delivery time now, but man...if the mail ever becomes self-aware and plans to take over the world, my house will be safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,325,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
I'm just thankful my mail carrier still has all of her fingers. For some reason, my lab/bull is convinced the mail is trying to break in and kill us all through the letter slot in the front door. I've never seen her launch herself at anything like she launches herself at the mail. It's scary, and gutbusting funny at the same time. We keep her crated during mail delivery time now, but man...if the mail ever becomes self-aware and plans to take over the world, my house will be safe!

Thats HYSTERICAL!!! Hope you don't get pizza delivered?!?!

Old 06-27-2010, 04:25 PM

5 posts, read 6,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
If there are 2 packages with two different postage amounts and the one going the greater distance gets the postage for the lesser distance, that one WON'T GET DELIVERED. That is what I'm suggesting probably happened the time I wasn't paying attention. The time I DID pay attentionn I CAUGHT the error; pointed it out and made them correct it before sending the packages. If I hadn't, the same thing that happened the first time would have happened AGAIN. What REALLY burned me up was that the package that was never delivered was also never returned to me.
If the postal service receives a package with insufficient postage, it will be attempted at the destination address as a postage due delivery... If that postage due delivery is refused, then the package will be returned to the sender (if there is a return address present).

Being that you say the package was neither delivered nor returned to you, assuming that recipient and sender addresses were present and valid, then the best guess would be that package was either lost or stolen.

That's the way the system works...

Old 06-27-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgrammie View Post
I'm so aggravated. Yesterday I received mail for someone who lives on another street. I put it back in my postal box with the flag up. Today the carrier came and she wrote on the envelope "RESIDENT IS YOU!". Hello, no it isn't, this resident lives on another street. You can bet I will be at the post office filing a complaint tomorrow. Evidently my carrier can't read, this has been an ongoing problem for 3 1/2 years. This was the 2010 census improperly delivered.
If the item was addressed to another street then that carrier was in error.

When some mailers send things they will address it to a person (e.g. - Santa Claus) as well as the line that states "or current resident". See below...

Santa Claus
or Current Resident
123 Sweat Shop Lane
North Pole, MC 00001-6699

When the sender has included that second line in the addressed item, it doesn't matter where the named recipient lives or who they are. The mail piece will then be delivered to the current resident at the street address stated. This is true for any class of mail, first class, bulk business mail, priority mail, express mail, etc.

So, yes flgrammie, ALL mail carriers can read!!! Question is... Do you know how to do OUR job?!?!

Old 06-27-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
My favorite stupid / lazy postal carrier story. I had an item sent to me express mail. Required hand delivery and a recipient signature. I was sitting at a window in my home with a direct view to my mailbox on the curb. Raining very hard. Carrier pulled up in his truck, sat 2-3 minutes and then put something in the box. Drove away. I went out and saw a form indicating he had tried to deliver but I was not home. He was just too lazy to leave his truck and get wet.

That carrier was wrong to not attempt delivery to your door... We are supposed to attempt delivery of Express Mail items even if that particular address does not receive street delivery of mail.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I live in a townhome community where we have group mailboxes on pedestals scattered throughout the development. I've had a bear of a time getting certain things delivered to my door when the local postal manager manager told me they should be. Examples:

1. A registered letter. Delivery was never attempted the first time. I then received a "final" notice two days before it would be returned to sender. Went to the post office to get it. Turned out I missed a deadline for the cancellation of an insurance policy.

2. An insured parcel - purchase from an art gallery in a neighboring state. Delivery was never attempted. I kept waiting and waiting, not knowing the shipping date or method, and finally contacted the gallery. It had been mailed 3 weeks earlier. After tracking it, I found that it was sitting at the post office the entire time. Yes, I could have contacted the gallery sooner, and yes, the gallery now has a better system in place for communicating shipping information to their customers. However, the postal carrier was clearly at fault for not taking the time to get out of his/her truck to deliver the package to my door or at the very least, an "attempted delivery" notice.

BTW, I telecommute, so I'm home all day, every day. I didn't miss any "attempted deliveries."
Being that you telecommute, and are home all day, every day... You NEVER LEAVE your townhouse? You NEVER take a shower and not hear someone at the door? There has to be more to life than that... I'm just sayin'...

Let's just say they did not "attempt" that first delivery at your door...

If no one picks up the letter after 5 to 7 days, USPS attempts a second delivery. Again USPS will leave behind a delivery slip reminder by the letter carrier. Finally after 10 to 12 days the third and final delivery attempt is made to the delivery address. After the final notice reminder is left the letter is taken back to the Post Office and held for 5 to 7 additional days. This entire time frame can take 17 to 21 days if no one has claimed the letter. USPS then marks the letter ‘Unclaimed’ and the letter is returned to the sender.

So... I guess since you are home all day every day, you just never go to the mailbox and that's why you missed all those attempted delivery slips in the box...

After the initial attempt at the door the carrier is not required to go to the door again for the same item.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Since we have letter carriers on this thread, I have a question related to roadpony's post.

I, too, am in a townhome community, but in another state. There is never an attempt to deliver a registered letter or insured package to my door. A notice is placed in my box and I must go to the post office to claim the letter or package. I have always thought that this was BC my box is not at my door, but grouped with others, so personal delivery was not required.

What is the post office policy on this? I really like my letter carrier and will be bummed to think that he should be attempting delivery for items requiring a signature.
Sorry to say... Your carrier should be attempting delivery of items at your door... Unless there is some weird rule at that particular post office or for your community... I've seen it from other carriers too, where they don't take items to the door... Strictly out of laziness...

Old 06-27-2010, 11:21 PM

9,038 posts, read 13,930,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Its a requirement for the mailman to be able to read??

My box is always stuffed with random sh*t that don't belong to us
Here is a sample question from the civil service exam postal workers have to take and pass. It sure doesn't seem like the O/P's letter carrier could have possibly taken and passed it:

473 Exam sample questions and answers for postal clerks, mail carriers, and rural carriers.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:58 PM

5,851 posts, read 3,134,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixemailfl View Post
If the item was addressed to another street then that carrier was in error.

When some mailers send things they will address it to a person (e.g. - Santa Claus) as well as the line that states "or current resident". See below...

Santa Claus
or Current Resident
123 Sweat Shop Lane
North Pole, MC 00001-6699

When the sender has included that second line in the addressed item, it doesn't matter where the named recipient lives or who they are. The mail piece will then be delivered to the current resident at the street address stated. This is true for any class of mail, first class, bulk business mail, priority mail, express mail, etc.

So, yes flgrammie, ALL mail carriers can read!!! Question is... Do you know how to do OUR job?!?!

Bump, looking at postal treads

To add on it seems like the piece was a full coverage circular. To save time in the office they are not prepared by the carrier in route order, although they should be printed that way. But if the route has changed or there was an error in the printing plant then while being carried separately and dropped off you will see a wrong address deloivered. On occasion the print of those circulars come out of order but because of the way they are carried we do not look at the address as closely as we do loose random mail since everybody gets one. It is pretty much the first one to make sure it is the right street and starting number. I have known of carriers who don't look at them at all using the same techniques they used when we delivered a separate addressed postcard married to the circular without an address.

If carriers have a problem that we hear about most it is from residents complaining about the delivering of junk mail. If we know of a carrier being fired it was most likely that he didn't deliver junk mail. That advertising mail with the "or current resident" endorsement. If there was a different street address on the OP's post he probably just pulled the next off of the stack and it was either a printer error or the carrier was not checking at all., emphasizing "current resident means you" suggest that the carrier has been warned before for "wasting" deliverable mail as all the time people give us back mail because it is not in their name as the advertiser doesn't have that information....yet. They are not used to seeing "or current resident" which is found in places beyond the address block.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:06 AM

22 posts, read 22,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgrammie View Post
I'm so aggravated. Yesterday I received mail for someone who lives on another street. I put it back in my postal box with the flag up. Today the carrier came and she wrote on the envelope "RESIDENT IS YOU!". Hello, no it isn't, this resident lives on another street. You can bet I will be at the post office filing a complaint tomorrow. Evidently my carrier can't read, this has been an ongoing problem for 3 1/2 years. This was the 2010 census improperly delivered.

Chill out. It's the mail. Today my wifes car broke...on NY's Eve for no less. Spent all day buying parts and tools (thanks Honda and NAPA). Anyway, I think I fixed it. My kids helped some and after we finished we washed moms van and threw the frisbee. We laughed and hand fun. Took a nap and mom woke up and the van seemed ok. Lit off some roman candles with the kids next door. Laughed some more. Went to bed.

Give the postal clerk a break. happy NY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area