Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:19 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmitchum View Post
I was asking because someone said this was connected to the Pee Wee Gaskins thing that was happening around this time. I don't remember hearing that connection being made before and was trying to find out more.
it wouldn't surprise me, he was known to hang around that area of N.Chas back then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 11:57 PM

9 posts, read 32,094 times
Default News about Gary

My mom grew up on the next street over from Gary when she was little, my uncle was his friend. I was told the story of Gary when I was a little girl, about a little boy they had known that disappeared on his way home and was never seen again. I always thought about it. About two years ago I started lookng through local paper archives in Charleston to find articles about a missing teen, but I couldn't find a single thing about it. The only thing I could ever find was a couple of articles about a search they did on the beach in 1998. I was just baffled by the lack of press but perhaps they assumed it was a runaway since GAry was 15. Does anyone remember there being press about the disappearance?

Old 03-09-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I was asking because someone said this was connected to the Pee Wee Gaskins thing that was happening around this time. I don't remember hearing that connection being made before and was trying to find out more.
I have considered this possibility as well since Gaskins was active and living in Charleston in 1974. But I've never heard anyone make the connection either. I've asked police officers about it before and they all remember the case. Two "missing persons" websites have recently posted his name as a missing person as if the case is reopened as a cold case.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaherie View Post
I live in south Texas and my parents received a christmas card from Gary's parents one year that said. P.S. if you see Gary, tell him to come home. My parents immediately called the Locklears to learn what happened. My parents are 84 years old now and still look for Gary in crowds and stores and everywhere they go in the hopes that they will recognize him. I have a picture of my family and Gary's family in my work cubicle and look at it daily and wonder what happened. I would be happy to send a copy of the photo. I was 3 yrs old on the photo and I think Gary was 4yrs old. Very sweet photo of us as kids. Sherie Adams
My mom grew up on the next street over from Gary when she was little, my uncle was his friend. I was told the story of Gary when I was a little girl, about a little boy they had known that disappeared on his way home and was never seen again. I always thought about it. About two years ago I started lookng through local paper archives in Charleston to find articles about a missing teen, but I couldn't find a single thing about it. The only thing I could ever find was a couple of articles about a search they did on the beach in 1998. I was just baffled by the lack of press but perhaps they assumed it was a runaway since GAry was 15. Does anyone remember there being press about the disappearance?

Old 03-27-2011, 02:20 PM

6 posts, read 24,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Speaking of Pee Wee Gaskins....old rumor has it that one of his cars is buried in MY yard!! I bought my home and property 18 years ago and bought the extra lot next door too. The elderly man next door (now deceased) told me that Pee Wee's cousin used to live here and that one night they all pulled up in a Mustang, got out and started digging a huge hole where my extra lot is, while holding flashlights. He said that the next day, "that car was gone and there was fresh dirt over a large area big enough to bury a small car in". I didn't pay any attention to it and forgot about it. Well, a few years ago, we started developing a sinkhole in that same spot that the old man pointed out to me. That hole gradually sank more and more
and one day I took the metal detector out there and definitely picked up a large area of metal. I have friends just dying to dig it up saying, "there maybe a Mustang down there with a body in the trunk!"
I don't think I want to know if there is....and definitely don't want the news crews all over my yard!
On the other hand, it would clear up the myth once and for all. In the meantime, I have filled the sinking spot with dirt and leaves that I rake up.

I watched the PBS documentary about Pee Wee's life and am glad that I never encountered him. Horrible person and he got what he deserved.
Do you have any idea what year the car was buried.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:25 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,243 times
Quote:
Do you have any idea what year the car was buried.

No.....I'm guessing late 60's or early 70's?? I believe he was in prison on death row from the mid-70's, so it had to be before that.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:38 PM

222 posts, read 403,889 times
Quote:
Speaking of Pee Wee Gaskins....old rumor has it that one of his cars is buried in MY yard!! I bought my home and property 18 years ago and bought the extra lot next door too. The elderly man next door (now deceased) told me that Pee Wee's cousin used to live here and that one night they all pulled up in a Mustang, got out and started digging a huge hole where my extra lot is, while holding flashlights. He said that the next day, "that car was gone and there was fresh dirt over a large area big enough to bury a small car in". I didn't pay any attention to it and forgot about it. Well, a few years ago, we started developing a sinkhole in that same spot that the old man pointed out to me. That hole gradually sank more and more
and one day I took the metal detector out there and definitely picked up a large area of metal. I have friends just dying to dig it up saying, "there maybe a Mustang down there with a body in the trunk!"
I don't think I want to know if there is....and definitely don't want the news crews all over my yard!
On the other hand, it would clear up the myth once and for all. In the meantime, I have filled the sinking spot with dirt and leaves that I rake up.

I watched the PBS documentary about Pee Wee's life and am glad that I never encountered him. Horrible person and he got what he deserved.
I'll be shocked if you don't have authorities digging up your yard after you posted this. For someone who didn't want the attention, you sure picked a ripe place to make such information public.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:07 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdonkey View Post
I'll be shocked if you don't have authorities digging up your yard after you posted this. For someone who didn't want the attention, you sure picked a ripe place to make such information public.
Not worried a bit.....I think it was just the ramblings of a very nosy neighbor.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:34 PM

222 posts, read 403,889 times
Quote:
Not worried a bit.....I think it was just the ramblings of a very nosy neighbor.
/snicker.

Good luck with all of that, lol!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:05 PM

182 posts, read 492,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdonkey View Post
I'm not a police officer and I'm wondering what's in the trunk of that car..LOL! seriously, I subscribed to this thread to follow the story. I remember the terror of Pee Wee Gaskins from my childhood, and I recently saw a "documentary" type show of his life. He was a deviant and crafty criminal whose crimes took years to piece together, and some are still unsolved.

If I were anyone remotely connected to the case, I would be digging up that old car, if there is, in fact, a car buried there and it turns out to be a true story. Of course, it could be an urban legend, but the seeds of curiosity have been planted here for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area