Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 06:45 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times

Advertisements

I don't know how long David has lived in Charleston but I remember a little storm called Hugo that left devastation all the way inland past I-95 and was still a Hurricane as it approached Charlotte.

But what do I know, I am not a Realtor.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 06:56 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,669 times
Ha-Ha-Ha,,,,,Thanks OTC.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:04 PM

16 posts, read 33,314 times
Default Charleston

What great pictures! I enjoyed Mount Pleasant as well.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:14 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Good assessment. You said "Everything is spread out". So plan ahead for when gas is $8 per gallon.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:14 AM

63 posts, read 216,891 times
Yeah, I dont think we can predict anything as seen from the weather and earthquakes that this year has shown us. I do know its all in Gods hands. We are excited to move down to Mount Pleasant. It has felt like home every time we have visited. We have vacationed there for several years, and now is the time to just move everything. Im SO tired of Ohio weathers. Yes, Im from Ohio. Ha, ha. Like someone else once said on here, everybody in "our" world are transplants, moving from one place to the next. It makes things exciting. Our culture is intertwined. People grow. Learn. Move on. And teach our children what is out there for everyone to share and experience. I hope South Carolina is as welcoming to us as we have been to others who have moved to our area.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
Quote:
Now for some Realtor fluff, LOL. Here it goes anyway, last Earthquake was in 1886 and it devestated downtown Charleston but we are not expected to get another one anytime soon. As for Hurricanes they give you tons of notice and the only real danger is tidal surge and once you are 10 to 20 miles inland you are pretty safe, especially in newer construction that has to meet hurricane / wind and earthquake / siesmic engineering.
Actually the threat of earthquakes is pretty real. That is why almost every existing school/public building I've worked on has done an upfit of some sort. TPTB and the insurance industry aren't betting against another.

Hurricanes are not simply rain and tides along the coast. They are several weather conditions combined into one. So you have heavy rain, tides, wind, often tornado like effects.... Most hurrican damage has nothing to do with rising water or storm surge but is due to wind damage and often storm water runoff, overflow and flooding which can just as easily occur inland. Also when a storm travels over the lakes it can pick up a small burst of speed again- nothing compared with the trip form Africa but enough to hammer Sumter and beyond harder than it would have if the trip had been entirely land.

And while the codes have changed and stiffened considerably the goal of bulding codes is not to maintain the structure but to ensure life safety. So code mandates a building offer adequate time for people to escape from it during a fire and separation from areas more likely to have fire- but not the ability of the building to withstand it without damage. This is the same thinking behind requiring all the strapping/tie downs for storms and better foundations for siesmic. The building will not neccessary go unscathed but it will be safer for inhabitants. Hence not wanting it to take flight and land on the neighbors Wizard of Oz Style.

Back to the OP: be sure to drive the areas you like during mornign and afternoon traffic. It can make a huge diference in Mt P. And with SC' history of government competency don't expect the DOT to make anything better any time soon. Best of luck- it seems like you have a really strong concept of what you prefer.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,669 times
,,,,you said,,,"Most hurrican damage has nothing to do with rising water or storm surge"

Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha,,,You have lost your mind!
Where are you from mrpeatie? You cant be from the coast................

Old 04-06-2010, 10:23 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
Capt'n- I am from the coast and have worked in construction & architecture the last decade and a half.

Everyone oohs and ahhs over damage to the coastal islands and the draw bridges but a huge amount of monetary loss occurs inland. Some from wind damage (which would also include trees & other objects that get slammed into buildings.) With Floyd in 99 the bigger source of damage in SC was inland flooding. FEMA ended up buying out entire neighborhoods that were not at the beaches and not necessarily on waterways. All the rain dumped in NC made its way back a week later and when the 100yr flood mark was hit everyone got a quit lesson in the true topogroghy of the middle portion of Horry County and the adjacent areas in NC. Water like sh** flows downward. As I said before look at the maps to see where you fall & don't underestimate the possibility of stormwater drainage being completely overwhelmed.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:10 AM

63 posts, read 216,891 times
We lost our home from hurricane floyd and we were about 40 minutes inland. It was completely underwater up to the first floor ceiling.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:18 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,609 times
I was in Charlotte for Hugo-not fun. No power for a week and lots of down trees. I was scared to death during the storm. Since then I have been through a lot of storms living up and down the East Coast.

I was also born in CA and have been through a lot of earthquakes. Not actually any big ones. I missed the North ridge quake by a day. This scares me too. And so much activity (http://http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.html - broken link) lately even more.

But you can't live your life scared of things you cannot control. I just spent the past 2 days with my 17 year old daughter (possible heart problem) in the hospital at MUSC and that was scary too.

Live Life and don't be scared of things you cannot control...you never know when it will be over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area