U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:06 AM

343 posts, read 592,800 times
Default Summerville School Security

I wanted to know about security at the schools in Summerville. I was thinking that since Summerville is a nice family town there is not a lot of security.

Are there cameras in the classrooms and surrounding areas in the day cares?

Do the highschools have metal detectors or random metal searches.

What kind of security have you seen at your kids daycare and schools?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 10:13 AM

I found this Summerville High School - [domain blocked due to spam]

and it got me nervous. Also I am reading ninteen minutes.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:43 AM

890 posts, read 2,906,000 times
Okay, so I just read it and don't see what is to be so nervous about. Isn't your child only 2? Summerville High has 96 cameras around campus...is that enough?

Old 06-07-2007, 11:09 AM

lol... yeah he is 2 but you know you think of the future. That is why we are moving.
the link wasnt that bad, it is just I was thinking about all that and then I found the link

How about the preschools? Do they have security? the school that I was going to send him to here in FLA has a major security system.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:59 PM

199 posts, read 536,710 times
Summerville is nice, but it isn't really just a small nice family town... there is alot of crime bleedover there from North Chuck, unfortuantely thats everywhere here- there is just too much drugs and poverty in N Charleston and the surrounding towns are just too on top of it geographically. Just last week a 25 yr Navy veteran who was a pizza delivery guy was killed by 2 thugs for $90 during a Summerville pizza delivery.

As far as schools, eh. If you keep your kids very busy so they don't have too much time to hang with the wrong crowds they'll probably be fine, there doesn't seem to be a big problemw/violence in S'ville schools beyond the crowds you'd expect to find it in, on par with anywhere else in America.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:33 AM

I don't agree with there being a lot of bleedover from North Charleston. Summerville's crime rate is below the national average. There are a few lower income neighborhoods in North Charleston within Dorchester County that contribute to our calls. These areas aren't even considered Summerville but are parts of North Charleston within the county line so Dorchester County has to respond. I guess you could technically call that bleedover if you wanted to stretch it. There are a few pockets in Summerville that aren't the best, but like you said it is like that all over Charleston. West Ashley, James Island even Mount Pleasant has some pockets of rough areas. I've even seen it on Daniel Island.

What happened to the pizza man was unfortunate and people here are outraged since things like this are highly unusual in Summerville. Two stupid teenagers. One of the pockets areas. I'm just glad they caught the guys quickly. I think in time as property becomes more and more expensive around here you will start to see some of these pocket areas get cleaned up or eliminated. I have already seen it in a few areas. People keep flocking to move here so it can't be all that bad. Summerville is very much a family town. Good schools = families.

Last edited by scjj; 06-09-2007 at 07:08 AM..

Old 06-09-2007, 07:17 AM

The thing is that even schools with little or no record of violence Should have some sort of proactive plan in place for possible violence. With what has gone on, IMO, there should be some sort of wepon detection in place, not necessarly metal dectors but random searches or the hand wand searches.

But I guess that is really a subject for a debate board. I was just wondering if Summerville had that. I guess not.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:58 AM

86 posts, read 420,993 times
By the time your 2 year old goes to High School ...There will be more High Schools and things will be totally different. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:21 PM

82 posts, read 280,309 times
scjj,

Saw your response and hope you can elaborate as we are looking to relocate to Summerville within the next year and a half or so...

What are some of the bad pocket areas??? I do not want to upset or alienate anyone; we were in the area in April and loved it, but a visit does not give you a true representation of an area!

I would truly appreciate your insight! Thanks in advance!

Old 06-11-2007, 09:19 AM

It's more the older neighborhoods that have deteriorated within an area then it is the area itself. Most of the time these neighborhoods consist of rentals and landlords that only care about making a buck. This can be found in all the areas around Charleston and not just Summerville either. Most areas around Summerville is seeing new construction and areas that had years of neglect are getting face lifts. I think as time progresses and property values continue to rise these neighborhoods will see turnovers.

If you need specific info on an area when you are ready to move feel free to pm me.

Last edited by scjj; 06-11-2007 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area