U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:48 AM

767 posts, read 856,868 times

Advertisements

I told my boys I would take them fishing this week. I am not a big time fisherman, just wanted somewhere safe to stand on the bank and catch a few. Where in the Summerville area can I go to enjoy a decent day of fishing? When I lived in GA, there was a pay-lake we visited that was fully stocked and very clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 12:00 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,150,430 times
Not far from Summerville, you can take them to Crowfield in GC. There are 2 large lakes that are stocked every year. You can fish right off the main drag or pull down one of the side roads.

In Moncks Corner, you can goto Foxbank Plantation, its off HWY 52 on the left hand side. HUGE lake back in there as well. I believe you can get to it from Cypress Gardens Rd.

Also Summerville there's a large pond off Winter Rd, which is off 176 > Not 100% sure what kind of access they have??

Old 04-07-2010, 12:37 PM

767 posts, read 856,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Not far from Summerville, you can take them to Crowfield in GC. There are 2 large lakes that are stocked every year. You can fish right off the main drag or pull down one of the side roads.

In Moncks Corner, you can goto Foxbank Plantation, its off HWY 52 on the left hand side. HUGE lake back in there as well. I believe you can get to it from Cypress Gardens Rd.

Also Summerville there's a large pond off Winter Rd, which is off 176 > Not 100% sure what kind of access they have??
Thanks. I was told that I had to live in Crowfield to fish there, but I have ran into others who fish, but do not live there either.

I will check out the others too.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:07 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,150,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnasty View Post
Thanks. I was told that I had to live in Crowfield to fish there, but I have ran into others who fish, but do not live there either.

I will check out the others too.
Yea for Crowfield, I was kinda hinting to "pull off the main drag" and walk to the lake ... Less chance of the fishing police finding you

Old 04-07-2010, 10:28 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,670,909 times
Ok, first and foremost make sure you get a fishing license for anyone over the age of 15, it is either $7 or $10 dollars and will save you a $250.00 ticket....

Wagon Wheel Lake up on Hwy 78 leaving out of Summerville towards St. George used to be a pay lake not sure if it is still open...

Lake Moultrie has lots of lake access points all around it that you can fish from, go to Moncks Corner to one of the bait shops and ask where to go to catch the fish.....

Old 04-08-2010, 07:19 AM

1,690 posts, read 1,726,665 times
If you wanted to fish salt water, I could help you.
I dont fish fresh water,,,,thats for drinking. Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha

Good luck on your trip and be safe!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:32 PM

No it isn't fish fornicate in that stuff, bourbon is for drinking.....

Old 04-10-2010, 12:51 PM

18 posts, read 37,585 times
Can not wait to start fishing down there. I do a lot of Salmon and Steelehead fishing up here in Washington St. I really like the license costs down there. Here in Wa it's about $50 a year for salt and freshwater license and keeps going up every year. I have a 23' trophy all loaded up for fishing up here but I am going to sell to buy a boat down there. Probably dont have much of a use for downriggers and such down there? Once I get there I'll start looking for a good set up there. Probably do a few guided trips to figure what the fishermen use, bait/gear/best set ups etc. I'd like to get a boat that I can do some deep water fishing as well as inshore....

Bummer is the 8 tackle boxes of salmon gear I have but on the positive side is get get to buy new gear!!! I thnk some of my rods will work down there? 9 1/2 to 11' med rods

Ole Tom, I like you style!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:53 PM

Thanks....

I would keep the boat, Trophies are all over down here, and it is cheaper to regear your boat than get a new one. Rick can help with the guiding and gear....

Old 04-11-2010, 09:56 AM

3,008 posts, read 2,529,090 times
A downrigger or two are used here on a regular basis (ocean fishing for king mackerel & such). If you have 4 or more, you might think of selling some to your friends before you move. There are plenty of Bayliners (Trophy) fishing down here so the boat won't be out of place. Your 23'er should get you into plenty of inshore/nearshore fishing.

I'd only sell that boat if you don't want the hassle of trailering it down here or if you just are ready for a new toy. There are plenty of boats here if you just want a new one.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area