U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:28 AM

18 posts, read 58,329 times

Advertisements

So I have read a ton of great things about Mt. Pleasant and Summerville but what are some of the drawbacks of the two areas? Everyplace has 'em.

I am relocating to the area for Boeing, currently work for Boeing in the Seattle area. I understand there will be traffic which I expect will get worse before it gets better as Boeing comes online. We are hearing that with Boeing and Boeing related jobs there will be a need for anywhere from 3,000 to 10,000 additional workers in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 11:51 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,101,495 times
The biggest draws back for Summerville are the traffic and distance to the beach. We have all the grocery stores and some really good specialty shops and good restaurants, we are just a distance from the beach and downtown Charleston....

Old 04-10-2010, 12:18 PM

1,889 posts, read 4,834,242 times
Biggest Drawback of Mount Pleasant is price. location..location..location = higher price

Both areas have traffic issues- but coming from a larger area, nothing like others.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:56 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,386,222 times
You will probably have a higher risk of damage from a hurricane in Mt. Pleasant than the Summerville area and thus your home owners insurance, all things being equal, should be some what higher. This increase in home owners insurance cost should be offset to a degree from lower property taxes in Mt. Pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerfan01 View Post
So I have read a ton of great things about Mt. Pleasant and Summerville but what are some of the drawbacks of the two areas? Everyplace has 'em.

I am relocating to the area for Boeing, currently work for Boeing in the Seattle area. I understand there will be traffic which I expect will get worse before it gets better as Boeing comes online. We are hearing that with Boeing and Boeing related jobs there will be a need for anywhere from 3,000 to 10,000 additional workers in the area.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:30 PM

23,221 posts, read 12,334,029 times
As they say -- Mount Pleasant -- finding the right house at the right price. Summerville - distance from the beach & downtown.

Most of us have a pretty good sense of which area suits us once we drive around a little. You'll know.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:03 PM

399 posts, read 1,298,519 times
[quote=marinerfan01;13680393]So I have read a ton of great things about Mt. Pleasant and Summerville but what are some of the drawbacks of the two areas? Everyplace has 'em.

Drawback to Mt. Pleasant (at least for us): Closer to the beach means more risk of damage from a hurricane; the whole flood insurance issue; and naturally the homes are more expensive price per square foot - because of location. Also for us it would have made for a long commute for my husband - around 45 minutes to an hour daily. Traffic during beach season can make that commute even worse.

Drawback to Summerville: Lacks shopping/restaurants (in comparison to Mt. Pleasant). Further from the beach. Mixed bag - bad areas mixed in with nicer areas - very odd to me, but could be the same in Mt. Pleasant - I can't say I don't live there.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-10-2010, 06:35 PM

1,797 posts, read 3,064,637 times
Drawback to Mt. Pleasant ,, Ha-Ha-Ha

Its the attitude of the people that live there. Most of them think that they are better than you.

Things like holding the door open for a lady when she is walking in a building,,saying "Thank You" for what ever, Ask for some kind of help,,it goes on and on.

Drive around like they own the road while they are on the cell phone. Cut in front of you,,Pretty rude if you ask me.....Not a lot of southern charm at all..............its sad.

But OH MY GOD,,,,ITS A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE!!!!

Watch the replys I get about the truth........Hope this helps!

Old 04-10-2010, 08:19 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,972,787 times
Rick, Mt. Pleasant IS a great place to live...even if you have an aversion to it. Sorry.

It's evident you feel everyone in MtP thinks they are better than others. I can assure you that MtP has that type of folk...as does Summerville and every other town around here. I actually have experienced the type of person you describe more often in Summerville than I have in MtP.

Drivers, like the ones you describe, are everywhere in this area not just MtP. The absolute worst ones are in N.Charleston on I26 between Ashley Phosphate & Cosgrove.

Believe it or not, people in MtP do hold doors open for ladies, say "Thank You", and offer assistance if it is needed. I've needed help in MtP and gotten it. I've needed assistance in other towns here and never once received an offer. Go figure.

Your hatred of MtP is evident and not very becoming. The best thing is that you DON'T have to enter the city limits if you don't want to.

Best of luck to you and your attitude. LOL

Old 04-11-2010, 07:12 AM

1,889 posts, read 4,834,242 times
There is Flood Zones in Summerville also. Crime is higher in Summerville and less options shopping and
restaurants.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:19 AM

1,797 posts, read 3,064,637 times
Ha-Ha-Ha,,,,I dont hate MtP Cape,,,as they say,,,"Its a great place to live" Its just some of the people that ruin it. I prefer Summerville.
Trust me,,I try to stay away from MtP as much as possible.

I just tell it like it is,,not tip-toe around the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area