Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,552 times

Advertisements

I have plans to check out Charleston at the end of May for a future move from Tennessee. Any suggestions on what areas to look at that don't cost a lot but are still somewhat close to downtown area? I appreciate any suggestions. I hear it's beautiful and I can't wait to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 07:14 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times
What price range are you trying to stay in?

Old 04-11-2010, 08:09 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,987 times
I like the West Ashley area.
Have you seen Market street in downtown Charleston yet?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:07 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,777,188 times
Sections of West Ashley are convenient to downtown Charleston. You have taken some great fish photos. Maybe you could take some photos of the amenities and attractions in the West Ashley area to share with out of town forum members thinking of relocating to the Charleston area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
I like the West Ashley area.
Have you seen Market street in downtown Charleston yet?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:37 AM

Thanks Joe,,,but thats what Google Earth is for.
Sorry, But I do have a fee for my photography work.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:11 AM

I' sorry. I thought that you made your living as a charter boat captain and not as a professional photographer. I make my living as a Realtor, but am pleased to share the results of my photo and other skills with forum members and others who might benefit by them. Google earth is a great tool, but as you may know difficult to use to get a feel for an area, particularly by those not familiar with West Ashley or Mt. Pleasant. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I suspect that my photos and videos give forum members a better feel for the Mt. Pleasant area, better than they would get by using google earth.

Quote:
Thanks Joe,,,but thats what Google Earth is for.
Sorry, But I do have a fee for my photography work.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:45 AM

I do both Joe. Been fishing for about 40 years and doing the photography for about 25. The photography helps in the winter when the charters slow down.

Sorry ,,but I just dont go out and take pictures of MtP for the fun of it.

Now if I was on this forum and was a realtor,,,I would have plenty of pic's of MtP.......................

Old 04-11-2010, 12:53 PM

I am not asking you to take photos of Mt. Pleasant, particularly as you have said you try to stay away from it. I was suggesting that you take a few of West Ashley. If you are a professional photographer, I would think that your photos might not only be beneficial to forum members but also may drum up some business for you at the same time.

Quote:
I do both Joe. Been fishing for about 40 years and doing the photography for about 25. The photography helps in the winter when the charters slow down.

Sorry ,,but I just dont go out and take pictures of MtP for the fun of it.

Now if I was on this forum and was a realtor,,,I would have plenty of pic's of MtP.......................

Old 04-11-2010, 01:14 PM

Sorry,,,I misunderstood you.
Thanks,,,but I'm not into landscape photography.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:27 PM

83 posts, read 224,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lconlon918 View Post
I have plans to check out Charleston at the end of May for a future move from Tennessee. Any suggestions on what areas to look at that don't cost a lot but are still somewhat close to downtown area? I appreciate any suggestions. I hear it's beautiful and I can't wait to visit.
The outer-lying areas of DT are Mt. Pleasant, West Ashley, James Island Johns Island and North Charleston. If you look hard enough, you can find decent housing costs in each area. You'll also find outrageous pricing in all areas too. That's kind of a cool thing about Charleston... there are all walks of life and lifestyles living next door to each other.

West Ashley, N. Chas and Johns Island will probably have the best overall pricing, but that's because Mt. Pleasant and James Island are closest to beaches as well as DT. I live on James Island and LOVE it because DT is 10 minutes one way from my house and the beach is 10 minutes the other way. The best of both worlds! I used to live in West Ashley which also is not bad, just made the trip to the beach longer, however I was closer to the airport and all the big N. Chas shopping centers.

Since you'll be new to the area, check out this site for some cool stuff to do:

Top 10 Best Charleston Things To Do

Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area