Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:26 PM

6 posts, read 19,431 times

Advertisements

Boeing is flying me into Charleston later this month for an interview. I'm hoping that this indicates a good chance for an offer. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 06:34 PM

11 posts, read 21,060 times
Yes - join as many LINKEDIN Groups related to Boeing Jobs - Boeing Charleston SC - etc. You will find excellent advice from former Boeing recruiters and current Boeing employees...Some have even offered to assist people preparing for interviews.... Cheers & Good Luck Heather

Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 PM

8 posts, read 12,540 times
Hi, How do you like it there in Charleston? I am being laid off from KSC in April and am applying with Boeing up there. I know a couple people who left here in October who now work there. Any input to the area, schools, homes (rent at first, etc?)

Old 03-08-2011, 09:09 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,606,521 times
I work with a Carl V. now from KSC... Always good to have more floridians up here.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:49 AM

92 posts, read 207,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peartsbeemer View Post
Hi, How do you like it there in Charleston? I am being laid off from KSC in April and am applying with Boeing up there. I know a couple people who left here in October who now work there. Any input to the area, schools, homes (rent at first, etc?)
We have a LOT of people from KSC that moved over to the Boeing Charleston location and answers to your question will vary based on who you talk to. I think some people walk around here with rose colored glasses and think this place is heaven, others (including myself) not so much. Boeing has been great about relocating a ton of KSC people to Charleston and they have a lot more growing to do here yet. We know a good number of former Boeing KSC people who have relocated here, same as us.

We've been with Boeing in Everett and KSC and now Charleston and as far as how much we like any of the areas to live in, taking into account people, traffic, and cost of livinng. We both (my husband and I) find Charleston to be the worst place we've been in, all things considered.

Obviously having a job in Charleston is better than not having one in FL, so not much you can do there unless you jump ship and find another job in FL with a different company...I know there's not much to do on the Space Coast without KSC.

I was on here reading all the comments about Charleston trying to decide if this was the place to relocate versus other locations like WA. Based on all the posts and comments from locals and new transfers it sounded like a fine place. After living here I don't think that so much, it's okay here but knowing what we do now it certainly would be our last choice if nothing else was available. Unfortunately we decided on Charleston instead of an offer in WA...our mistake.

It's not all sunshine and roses here and I'd be happy to go more into detail about the negatives of Charleston versus FL in DM if you want to know more. I prefer to speak about that stuff in DM simply because some of the locals get offended when their precious Charleston gets talked about in a negative light. I'm certainly not a pessimist at all, I am always trying to find the good in any situation, but at the end of the day I am also a realist and see things for what they are. And of course Charleston is not all bad either, there are some pros to living in Charleston as well but I have to say I think the cons outweigh the pros in my opinion.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,889 times
Hello - We are also moving from Washington (well - Arlington) this summer. Have you decided where you will settle?

Old 03-09-2011, 12:52 PM

32 posts, read 57,741 times
Boeing Bound-
We are leaving to move from Wa to Ridgeville on Friday, both as Boeing employees. My hubby is a manager for Boeing and so his relo was paid for, and I am currently with Boeing (I've been with them for 7 years) and even with those 2 things going for us, it took me 6 months of trying to get a position.
My biggest tip for anyone trying to get in is, learn the structured interview system. My hubs said that is the biggest hang up with the interviewees he is seeing.

It can throw you, because the questions seem very random and unrelated to the job you will be doing ( A lot of "Tell us about a time you....") type questions. So have 7-8 scenarios memorized regarding different situations in your work career. A time you had to go against management, a time you had to deal with a difficult coworker... Those kinds of scenarios.

Good Luck! My Hubby loves SC (He's been living there for 4 months without us.) He never wants to come back to Wa, so it has to be a great place to live!
If someone already went over this previously, I apologize for the duplications!

Old 03-09-2011, 01:11 PM

314 posts, read 2,534,135 times
I am an Arlington High School alumni. I'm heading to Charleston next week for the 3rd and final leg of my Boeing career (Everett, San Antonio, Charleston). Looks like there will be a lot of Seahawk fans to hang out with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by housekarma View Post
Hello - We are also moving from Washington (well - Arlington) this summer. Have you decided where you will settle?

Old 03-09-2011, 01:26 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,980,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerburn View Post
My biggest tip for anyone trying to get in is, learn the structured interview system. My hubs said that is the biggest hang up with the interviewees he is seeing.

It can throw you, because the questions seem very random and unrelated to the job you will be doing ( A lot of "Tell us about a time you....") type questions. So have 7-8 scenarios memorized regarding different situations in your work career. A time you had to go against management, a time you had to deal with a difficult coworker... Those kinds of scenarios.

Is this similiar to the STAR testing? I've went over the different scenarios 1000x, now I just need the interview

Old 03-10-2011, 10:13 AM

18 posts, read 67,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajox View Post
I am an Arlington High School alumni. I'm heading to Charleston next week for the 3rd and final leg of my Boeing career (Everett, San Antonio, Charleston). Looks like there will be a lot of Seahawk fans to hang out with!

Aquajox, My wife is also an Arlington alum, I am a Lake Stevens Viking myself. May will be a year since we moved here. Miss somethings about Wa but really do like the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area