Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:00 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,830 times

Advertisements

UNCWhawks is a troller and looks purposefully for this question so he can jump in and feed his ridiculous rantings about how much he hates Charleston. Pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 08:13 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
Uh...OK. Well then, let's get back to the OP's original question, shall we??

Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 PM

202 posts, read 350,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
Uh...OK. Well then, let's get back to the OP's original question, shall we??
There's no reason to do that. It's a thread from 2010. UNCHawks revived the thread in the midst of his trolling.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:59 PM

123 posts, read 218,033 times
I have never been to the NC/SC coast and am planning on short trip to probably Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach for a few days before school starts or are there any other beaches in the area that are not not filled with tourists. Just want to find a nice clean beach to hang out on for a few days and maybe canoe or kayak that is also near to some sightseeing places. If anyone has been there recently or goes frequently, I'd appreciate some info on decent, clean hotels that are oceanfront or within a very short walking distance to the beach. Hoping to find something in the $150/$175 night range, if possible. This is just a mini-trip to get away for a few days and enjoy the beach before things start to get hectic again. Any specific areas to stay that are convenient location to shopping, restaurants, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Also, any good restaurants anyone would recommend for seafoood. Don't have too much time to research since this is spur of the moment and I find I usually get good info on this blog. If you give me some good hotels, I can check out their website. Looking forward to exploring some of the other beaches next summer. Thanks for any help. :-)

Old 08-08-2012, 03:09 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCHawks View Post
Wilmington now has a Whole Foods and will soon have a Trader Joes. It also has a 23 mile cross city bike trail and the second best public university in the state. Fortunately it doesn't have pitiful public schools, horrible street traffic, high crime rates, and slum areas like "Chucktown". Charleston was a nice place 20 years ago...but not anymore. Glad I go out when I did.

Get real. Charleston gets better by the day.Nothing but a classy city.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:37 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
I have never been to the NC/SC coast and am planning on short trip to probably Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach for a few days before school starts or are there any other beaches in the area that are not not filled with tourists. Just want to find a nice clean beach to hang out on for a few days and maybe canoe or kayak that is also near to some sightseeing places. If anyone has been there recently or goes frequently, I'd appreciate some info on decent, clean hotels that are oceanfront or within a very short walking distance to the beach. Hoping to find something in the $150/$175 night range, if possible. This is just a mini-trip to get away for a few days and enjoy the beach before things start to get hectic again. Any specific areas to stay that are convenient location to shopping, restaurants, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Also, any good restaurants anyone would recommend for seafoood. Don't have too much time to research since this is spur of the moment and I find I usually get good info on this blog. If you give me some good hotels, I can check out their website. Looking forward to exploring some of the other beaches next summer. Thanks for any help. :-)
Carmen, Wrightsville beach does get some tourists but it's never "crowded"... It's a perfect beach to get some R&R. There are a couple of hotels right on the beach. There is a holiday inn But that runs about mid $200's. There is also the Blockade Runner that you can get for the low $200's. There are some great restaurants within walking distance and in the hotels. The Waterway Lodge is not on the beach but a nice walk to the beach and some great restaurants. With the right room you MAY be able to see the water from this location. Be sure to go to Shore Shack Donuts for breakfast..great atmosphere. You really don't need to leave the location of Wrightsville Beach for anything...enjoy!

Old 08-10-2016, 03:57 PM

15 posts, read 41,604 times
Sorry to resurrect a really old thread, but there seems to be a ton of variance of opinion between Wilmington lovers vs Charleston lovers, so it seems like a decent place for me to get some pros and cons on both cities! I am another Northern transplant trying to relocate to a southern, coastal city that would be suited for a laid back, middle class couple. I've been to Charleston dozens of times, but have not had the pleasure of visiting Wilmington, yet. We are avid boaters, fishers, surfers, kite surfers, and are pretty blue collar (that's my way of saying we don't have the luxury of choosing any neighborhood we like). We would like to be as close to the water as possible, but we also have 3 dogs that require at least 1/4 acre. Condos, townhomes, and gated communities are not really our thing. While Charleston does have a gorgeous downtown, we are not big shoppers, and we are completely content frequenting dive bars for decent beer and local bands. I say that simply because it seems like a lot of the Charleston pro's revolve around the picturesque downtown, and while that's a plus, it's definitely not one of our priorities. We don't have kids, so schools are not a priority either. I'm really just trying to decipher which city is more financially livable and also more culturally aligned with our personalities. Work, of course, will be a determining factor. I'm a long time bartender with over 10 years experience, and my husband is a commercial diver (underwater construction). I suspect that Wilmington may be more culturally our style, but again, I would really love to hear pros and cons from all sides. All feed back would be greatly welcomed!

Old 08-10-2016, 08:17 PM

734 posts, read 920,400 times
We moved to North Charleston three years ago from Virginia. We love it here. However; we were thinking about moving to Wilmington or Greenville NC, only because it would be a shorter ride to Virginia to visit our children.

We paid a visit to Wilmington last month and decided to stay put for the time being. We can't come up with more pros than cons to move to NC. Gas is cheaper, property taxes are cheaper here I believe. Medical facilities and doctors are plentiful here.

One thing I saw about Wilmington is that; along the US-17 corridor, I thought I was in Mt. Pleasant. Everything is new. They have a big towne center. Tons of traffic.

So in short, we are staying put here in Ladson (North Charleston).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area