U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 04:26 PM

424 posts, read 1,085,372 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that just relocated to near Charleston, WV this past fall and her and her son are experiencing some health issues since the move that I wonder if might be caused by pollution or some type of known issue with the air quality in the area.

Her son is experiencing fluid build up in his ears. She herself is experiencing advanced allergies, excession mucous, headaches and respiratory infections.

Does anyone that is new to the area have similar issues since moving to WV? I have heard WV referred to as Chemical Row or something like that due to Dupont and the other chemical companies there. Does anyone know if perhaps coal might have something to do with it?

Doctors have simply told her to take allergy meds.... Seems like the air might be a little tainted.

Any ideas or suggestions folks? She just took a trip to Massachusetts for a week and all of the issues went away while there...

Note: I know my facts above are partially inaccurate with names and such, feel free to correct me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 04:46 PM

1,443 posts, read 2,158,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbward View Post
I have a friend that just relocated to near Charleston, WV this past fall and her and her son are experiencing some health issues since the move that I wonder if might be caused by pollution or some type of known issue with the air quality in the area.

Her son is experiencing fluid build up in his ears. She herself is experiencing advanced allergies, excession mucous, headaches and respiratory infections.

Does anyone that is new to the area have similar issues since moving to WV? I have heard WV referred to as Chemical Row or something like that due to Dupont and the other chemical companies there. Does anyone know if perhaps coal might have something to do with it?

Doctors have simply told her to take allergy meds.... Seems like the air might be a little tainted.

Any ideas or suggestions folks? She just took a trip to Massachusetts for a week and all of the issues went away while there...

Note: I know my facts above are partially inaccurate with names and such, feel free to correct me

I grew in the Kanawha valley in the 60s and 70s - there were 3 times the chemical plants and 10 times the pollution back then (it used to "snow" in July from the Monsanto plant), but I never had a lick of problem. People that are "extra-senstive" might have problems there. Seems aslo like there are 10 times as many people with "allergies" now as what there used to be.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:48 PM

Wow, sounds like things have gotten better since "snowing" in July sounds like cancerfest.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:53 PM

1,443 posts, read 2,158,926 times
Quote:
Wow, sounds like things have gotten better since "snowing" in July sounds like cancerfest.
Always seems like an inordinate number of long time residents develop brain tumors, but I do not have any statistical numbers to support this "seems like" anecdotal observation.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:46 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,238,029 times
yes...coal mining causes allergies

When a person moves to a new location the are not used to the natural allergens in an area and in a sense have no immunity to them, until they develop. Perhaps your friends are having allergy attacks? Before casting blame on the areas industry (which I'm not defending by any means) maybe a closer look at the doctors diagnosis is needed.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:21 PM

63 posts, read 203,533 times
Quote:

The exact same thing happened to me. I got (and still get) migranes that no medicine has been able to help, chronic sinus infections, etc. I started off at Tech (in Montgomery) in 2004, and while allergy medicines help a great deal, I still have to deal with a bunch of crap. A few years later I moved into Charleston, and all the medical stuff calmed down maybe 20%. I've been told it's both a coal allergy, and something along the lines of the valley being so narrow pollen, coal dust, etc., kinda stays in the valley and doesn't move out. I grew up in Huntington, and never had any of these problems, aside from some minor hay fever.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:23 PM

Thanks WVPhoenix, Knoxville is a lot like that, in a valley and not as much air movement as other areas.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:03 PM

9,420 posts, read 11,537,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Always seems like an inordinate number of long time residents develop brain tumors, but I do not have any statistical numbers to support this "seems like" anecdotal observation.
My father in law worked in the Kanawha valley for many years and he died of a brain tumor.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:22 AM

12 posts, read 23,177 times
I have lived all over the country and each time we move I experience different allergies. As a long time sufferer of allergies I will tell you what my doctor said: There is NO allergy free place. You will develop allergies wherever you go. ... I had asked him if moving to Arizona (heard that was a good place for people with allergies) would help.

I suspect your friends are suffering from allergies. The symptoms you mention are classic signs of allergic rhinitis. I'm not a doctor but I've experienced all these symptoms and more over the years. They can do the medicine thing, move on to allergy shots, tubes for the son's ears or do what I found most helpful (especially for headaches) - use a NetiPot. It flushes the offensive material out of the sinuses and relieves pressure.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:24 PM

11,008 posts, read 14,699,452 times
When I moved from WV to Montana this spring, I got hammered with the worst sore throat and flu like symptoms that I can remember. Finally went to the doctor, he looked in my throat and said "ewwwwww.... You've got one Hell of a sinus infection- can see the infection lines draining right down.."

I lost my voice, had a high fever, couldn't swallow... The put me on a Zpac and it got better for a bit, then came right back. Went back, they gave me some allergy meds, a stronger anti-biotic and a week later I was better.

They said it's 'newcomers disease'. Totally attributed to reactions to new allergens.

I'm not saying this could be the culprit, but it sure did whallop my butt worse than I can ever, ever remember..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston