U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2011, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Winfield, WV
1,812 posts, read 3,295,385 times
Reputation: 501

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Actually, most of the people in the forum are not even aware of Charleston, West Virginia, CT (unless you are specifically talking only about those in the WV room). That's why so many folks browse the room each day - to learn what there is to do in the varying areas of the state based on postings by the locals.

Regarding Cabela's: I doubt many other businesses would put their eggs into that basket hoping that one store will attract enough people to support surrounding businesses as well. Here in Atlanta, most people aren't even willing to drive through traffic here to the other side of town to visit similar type stores there - much less go out of state for one. It usually takes a larger niche than that such as an entire shopping complex (open air or mall) to draw significant numbers of people in. Charleston has changed a bit since I lived there, but I don't see that trend changing much since then, either.
Hey Greg, haven't seen you here in a while.

I will add this little bit of info about Cabela's. I have some friends that go on these hunting and fishing trips out west. They plan the nagivation of their trips so that they either hit a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop along the route. It's that way for a lot of folks too from what i hear. I think Cabela's will launch outdoor sports here in WV to another level. People will plan more events here because they will have access to better resources once they get here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2011, 03:32 PM
 
9,399 posts, read 11,455,331 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Hey Greg, haven't seen you here in a while.

I will add this little bit of info about Cabela's. I have some friends that go on these hunting and fishing trips out west. They plan the nagivation of their trips so that they either hit a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop along the route. It's that way for a lot of folks too from what i hear. I think Cabela's will launch outdoor sports here in WV to another level. People will plan more events here because they will have access to better resources once they get here.
While you're in Wheeling this week, stop by at the one in The Highlands. You'll see why they are such a game changer. Notice all the development that happened in the area of Cabelas. That was farmland before Cabelas happened on the scene. The guy who owned the farm was my "little brother" in the fraternity. He is independently wealthy and then some now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2011, 03:41 PM
 
9,399 posts, read 11,455,331 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Actually, most of the people in the forum are not even aware of Charleston, West Virginia, CT (unless you are specifically talking only about those in the WV room). That's why so many folks browse the room each day - to learn what there is to do in the varying areas of the state based on postings by the locals.

Regarding Cabela's: I doubt many other businesses would put their eggs into that basket hoping that one store will attract enough people to support surrounding businesses as well. Here in Atlanta, most people aren't even willing to drive through traffic here to the other side of town to visit similar type stores there - much less go out of state for one. It usually takes a larger niche than that such as an entire shopping complex (open air or mall) to draw significant numbers of people in. Charleston has changed a bit since I lived there, but I don't see that trend changing much since then, either.
Greg, Charleston is far from being Atlanta. Atlanta is a big city. Charleston has no traffic issues of which to speak. I've always been able to get from one side of the town to the other there in 10 minutes, even during busy times. People will drive from anywhere in Charleston to get to what will likely develop near a Cabelas, which will certainly offer abundant free parking with every amenity for shoppers nearby. You really have to see one of these places to understand what I'm saying here. The Cabelas in Wheeling draws thousands of shoppers from Pittsburgh (a 40 minute drive from The Highlands location), and Pittsburgh is far larger than Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 08:58 AM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,190 posts, read 29,570,003 times
Reputation: 5091
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Greg, Charleston is far from being Atlanta. Atlanta is a big city. Charleston has no traffic issues of which to speak. I've always been able to get from one side of the town to the other there in 10 minutes, even during busy times. People will drive from anywhere in Charleston to get to what will likely develop near a Cabelas,
I may have been too vague in my statement. See below...(long winded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
You really have to see one of these places to understand what I'm saying here. The Cabelas in Wheeling draws thousands of shoppers from Pittsburgh (a 40 minute drive from The Highlands location), and Pittsburgh is far larger than Charleston.
Ok, I think the point I was trying to make is that in places like Wheeling as you mentioned, you do have larger cities close by where people will drive the distance to go to a store if one is not available in their respective city (although Atlantans can be kind of jaded in regards to driving). And this if those people consider the distance/time reasonable. Charleston however, is a 3 1/2 hour drive from anything larger than Charleston is itself. Will people from larger cities be willing to drive 3 1/2 to 4 hours (or more) to Charleston to visit a Cabelas store there, as opposed to one that's in the panhandle areas much closer to larger cities?

I'm sure SOME will, but will it be enough? The local population alone won't be enough to sustain a slew of new shops and restaurants that pop up around it if not. With other locations available, many might actually live closer to the other locations rather than have to drive into Charleston as well. Again - LOTS of "ifs".

I think any development in Charleston is good. But it's hard to compare things that go up in Wheeling or even Morgantown to Charleston, because those cities greatly benefit from the "spillover" effect of being closer to larger cities. As an example: Chattanooga TN isn't much larger than Charleston, and it's even laid out much in the same way, in a valley on a nice riverfront and even a very similar downtown area. Their economy however, is vastly more vibrant than Charleston's, due to the fact they are only 2 hours from Atlanta, Knoxville, and Nashville. You will find stores/shops/restaurants and tourist attractions there that were only made possible by the spillover effect of being close enough to these larger cities that people from those cities consider Chattanooga to be a nice "day trip". As a result, they have a booming economy and are filled with larger city tourists all week, and especially on weekends. Charleston unfortunately at 3.5+ hours away from larger cities cannot benefit from the day-trip mentality of larger city residents, so there are far fewer people who will drive that extra distance as opposed to 40 minute to even two hours.

Again, I could be entirely wrong. I'm just basing my opinion on how the mentality is down here regarding driving to places. Atlanta is around 2 1/2 times larger than Pittsburgh (metro), and it's tough to get folks here to drive across town for something no matter how interesting it is - even going to Chattanooga AWAY from the city is tiring to some too, but since it's 2 hours many will make the trek - if it were 3.5 hours away, far fewer would. And once again, I wonder if the population of Charleston/Huntington alone would be enough to sustain X-number of stuff surrounding the store (?).

Oh, and I have been to one of the stores before and they ARE incredibly neat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 02:21 PM
 
Location: 304
4,976 posts, read 6,533,053 times
Reputation: 1609
Yeah, but Greg you have to remember that the people who will be visiting the state will come, not just people coming to Cabela's. The big city people from 3 and a half hours away aren't coming just for our store, but they might stop on there way to the Mountains. Plus the whole southern half of the state will use the store because (well let's face it) there are alot of people who like to hunt and fish, and Cabela's is the best. I wouldn't say that the Charleston/Huntington area couldn't support the store either because its not going to be as big as the other outlets they have. In fact the store will only be 40% the size of the Wheeling store.

I don't think Charleston is trying to grow as someone else's "spillover", but more on its own. If Charleston could some how turn isolation into an advantage, then it could grow on the principal of being the big dog in the room. I don't know why everybody wants to cut Charleston short, when it could be so much more than anybody gives it credit for. Right now is the time too, because the market here in Charleston is growing! Regionally speaking, the demand is high, but the supply is low. We have a foundation down, but all we need is the jobs! In time that will come, because look at what the Tech industry and Bio-Chemical industry is doing as we speak. GROWING!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 05:53 PM
 
9,399 posts, read 11,455,331 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I may have been too vague in my statement. See below...(long winded)



Ok, I think the point I was trying to make is that in places like Wheeling as you mentioned, you do have larger cities close by where people will drive the distance to go to a store if one is not available in their respective city (although Atlantans can be kind of jaded in regards to driving). And this if those people consider the distance/time reasonable. Charleston however, is a 3 1/2 hour drive from anything larger than Charleston is itself. Will people from larger cities be willing to drive 3 1/2 to 4 hours (or more) to Charleston to visit a Cabelas store there, as opposed to one that's in the panhandle areas much closer to larger cities?

I'm sure SOME will, but will it be enough? The local population alone won't be enough to sustain a slew of new shops and restaurants that pop up around it if not. With other locations available, many might actually live closer to the other locations rather than have to drive into Charleston as well. Again - LOTS of "ifs".

I think any development in Charleston is good. But it's hard to compare things that go up in Wheeling or even Morgantown to Charleston, because those cities greatly benefit from the "spillover" effect of being closer to larger cities. As an example: Chattanooga TN isn't much larger than Charleston, and it's even laid out much in the same way, in a valley on a nice riverfront and even a very similar downtown area. Their economy however, is vastly more vibrant than Charleston's, due to the fact they are only 2 hours from Atlanta, Knoxville, and Nashville. You will find stores/shops/restaurants and tourist attractions there that were only made possible by the spillover effect of being close enough to these larger cities that people from those cities consider Chattanooga to be a nice "day trip". As a result, they have a booming economy and are filled with larger city tourists all week, and especially on weekends. Charleston unfortunately at 3.5+ hours away from larger cities cannot benefit from the day-trip mentality of larger city residents, so there are far fewer people who will drive that extra distance as opposed to 40 minute to even two hours.

Again, I could be entirely wrong. I'm just basing my opinion on how the mentality is down here regarding driving to places. Atlanta is around 2 1/2 times larger than Pittsburgh (metro), and it's tough to get folks here to drive across town for something no matter how interesting it is - even going to Chattanooga AWAY from the city is tiring to some too, but since it's 2 hours many will make the trek - if it were 3.5 hours away, far fewer would. And once again, I wonder if the population of Charleston/Huntington alone would be enough to sustain X-number of stuff surrounding the store (?).

Oh, and I have been to one of the stores before and they ARE incredibly neat.
I see your point, and it is well taken. I agree that folks from big towns won't drive the 3 1/2 hours to get to a store like that, so maybe the potential is somewhat limited from that perspective. I do believe, though, that in terms of the small region in which it finds itself there is potential for it to be a dominant player and spur development that would otherwise be taking place elsewhere in that area. I'd be real surprised if they don't feel the effects in Barboursville and downtown Charleston after a period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 05:59 PM
 
9,399 posts, read 11,455,331 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Yeah, but Greg you have to remember that the people who will be visiting the state will come, not just people coming to Cabela's. The big city people from 3 and a half hours away aren't coming just for our store, but they might stop on there way to the Mountains. Plus the whole southern half of the state will use the store because (well let's face it) there are alot of people who like to hunt and fish, and Cabela's is the best. I wouldn't say that the Charleston/Huntington area couldn't support the store either because its not going to be as big as the other outlets they have. In fact the store will only be 40% the size of the Wheeling store.

I don't think Charleston is trying to grow as someone else's "spillover", but more on its own. If Charleston could some how turn isolation into an advantage, then it could grow on the principal of being the big dog in the room. I don't know why everybody wants to cut Charleston short, when it could be so much more than anybody gives it credit for. Right now is the time too, because the market here in Charleston is growing! Regionally speaking, the demand is high, but the supply is low. We have a foundation down, but all we need is the jobs! In time that will come, because look at what the Tech industry and Bio-Chemical industry is doing as we speak. GROWING!
The fact that many tourists come to that general region for whitewater and the Hatfield McCoy atv trail does offer potential for bringing folks to Charleston that wouldn't otherwise stop there. It's a pretty good hike from Fayette County to there, but if somebody is going to make a major purchase they might well make the trip. But, you are helping me make my point. There will be enough added demand to effect peripheral development, and that will have an effect on businesses that are not in the immediate vicinity from a local perspective as well. If your tire shop is located in the downtown region and you are ready to build a new one, you're going to take a hard look at building it near the Cabelas so you can sell some tires to the many customers shopping there, etc. Heck, Tic Tock Tire might want to reloate there (just kidding, Tim).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 08:17 PM
 
819 posts, read 1,190,559 times
Reputation: 297
I don't think the Charleston Cabellas will have the impact of drawing other stores that the Wheeling location. If you recall, there was almost NOTHING at that area in Wheeling prior to Cabellas building. Now, it is a really big development and, as far as I am concerned, would not have grown like this so quickly without Cabellas.

I do think it is a good thing for Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2011, 08:55 PM
 
Location: 304
4,976 posts, read 6,533,053 times
Reputation: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The fact that many tourists come to that general region for whitewater and the Hatfield McCoy atv trail does offer potential for bringing folks to Charleston that wouldn't otherwise stop there. It's a pretty good hike from Fayette County to there, but if somebody is going to make a major purchase they might well make the trip. But, you are helping me make my point. There will be enough added demand to effect peripheral development, and that will have an effect on businesses that are not in the immediate vicinity from a local perspective as well. If your tire shop is located in the downtown region and you are ready to build a new one, you're going to take a hard look at building it near the Cabelas so you can sell some tires to the many customers shopping there, etc. Heck, Tic Tock Tire might want to reloate there (just kidding, Tim).
For one, a tire place was a bad example. Tire places affect shoppers, let alone the retail sector. a tire place would probably be better off staying where it is, rather than moving to an area where the land was more expensive and it would get the same customers. Now if you would have said a chain clothing store, then it would make more logic. But then again, I don't think that Cabela's is going to affect downtown like you think it will, because again they are two different types of shopping. An example I'll give to you is Taylor Books vs Books-a-million. Taylor Books is not only a book store, but a cultural hub for art and music. Places like it in downtown don't blend well with Walmart, Target, Kholes, ect... because those big box stores are for quantity not quality.

I would'd say Fayette County is a hike. You can drive on US 60 and get from downtown to the county line in just over a half an hour. I don't think you realize that alot of the tourist that come to WV come from the Midwest, and pass through Charleston. Also i don't think you realize that Cabela's picked Charleston for a reason, and I'd say that alot of it is its prime location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 10:08 AM
 
Location: 304
4,976 posts, read 6,533,053 times
Reputation: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
For one, a tire place was a bad example. Tire places affect shoppers, let alone the retail sector. a tire place would probably be better off staying where it is, rather than moving to an area where the land was more expensive and it would get the same customers. .
Scratch that LOL,

What I meant to say was that a tire place doesn't have an impact on shopping or dining, and could locate itself anywhere because it is a more traditional service, where as a store or restaurant needs to be in an area where the traffic is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top