U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 07:19 AM

5,220 posts, read 7,291,038 times

Advertisements

ALDI says that they want to double the number of stores they have in WV. I could see one easily going on the East End beside Rite Aide, or in Kanawha City behind Cracker Barrel. Obviously the East End has been begging for a grocery store for years now, so I would hope that they would consider opening one there. The same company that owns ALDI owns Trader Joes as well, so maybe getting both in at the same time would be awesome, seeing how they offer different products.

Off subject now; recently I have become very interested in the Northgate Business Park area as a potential retail opportunity. When the removed a mountain top on the property in order to give the airport less of a head ache with incoming planes, they created two large flat plots of land with a road connecting the two with the business park. I wonder if anyone has looked into building anything up there. Northgate is actually a fantastic location for just about anything. You have the road infrastructure already there with Greenbrier St and Deitrick Blvd already being 4 lanes. There is enough land up there for stores, restaurants, more hotels (as there is already a Marriott up there). It is less than a mile from the interstate in one direction, and less than a mile from the airport in the other. There is also plenty of housing developments around. You would also draw from the Elk River communities as it would be a significantly closer alternative to Southridge. There is plenty of room up there, and you could even add a residential component to it. Similar to Charles Pointe in Bridgeport.

Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 07:15 PM

778 posts, read 557,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
ALDI says that they want to double the number of stores they have in WV. I could see one easily going on the East End beside Rite Aide, or in Kanawha City behind Cracker Barrel. Obviously the East End has been begging for a grocery store for years now, so I would hope that they would consider opening one there. The same company that owns ALDI owns Trader Joes as well, so maybe getting both in at the same time would be awesome, seeing how they offer different products.

Off subject now; recently I have become very interested in the Northgate Business Park area as a potential retail opportunity. When the removed a mountain top on the property in order to give the airport less of a head ache with incoming planes, they created two large flat plots of land with a road connecting the two with the business park. I wonder if anyone has looked into building anything up there. Northgate is actually a fantastic location for just about anything. You have the road infrastructure already there with Greenbrier St and Deitrick Blvd already being 4 lanes. There is enough land up there for stores, restaurants, more hotels (as there is already a Marriott up there). It is less than a mile from the interstate in one direction, and less than a mile from the airport in the other. There is also plenty of housing developments around. You would also draw from the Elk River communities as it would be a significantly closer alternative to Southridge. There is plenty of room up there, and you could even add a residential component to it. Similar to Charles Pointe in Bridgeport.

Any thoughts?
I was just up at NGBP today and while I can agree it has plenty of room for expansion of just about any retailors, I don't think the roads are built to handle heavy traffic. Deitrick BLVD is four lanes but the base is not especially think for a pro-longed heavy consumer traffic and especially deliver semi-trucks. The location is all wrong I think for retail though. Everyone that lives in 114 has to hit Greenbrier to go anywhere and there is nothing north of that location that can draw them. That means they must go south and you can hit I64 in only a minute or 2 and another couple of minutes be in Kanawha City.

Most of the people on Elk River ship at the Shopping Center in Elkview at the Frame Road interchange on I-79. That center has a La Quinta Inn and Suites, Kroger, Kmart, CVS, an AT&T Store, RAC, Hallmark, Dollar Tree, Shoe Show, 84-Lumber, Bob Evans, Arby's, Subway, Little Ceasrs, La Caretta, Penn Station, Burger King, Go Mart, MacDonalds, Autozone, State Farm, Advanced Auto, NTelos, Exxon, Speedway, Goodwill and Roni's Bar.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
I was just up at NGBP today and while I can agree it has plenty of room for expansion of just about any retailors, I don't think the roads are built to handle heavy traffic. Deitrick BLVD is four lanes but the base is not especially think for a pro-longed heavy consumer traffic and especially deliver semi-trucks. The location is all wrong I think for retail though. Everyone that lives in 114 has to hit Greenbrier to go anywhere and there is nothing north of that location that can draw them. That means they must go south and you can hit I64 in only a minute or 2 and another couple of minutes be in Kanawha City.

Most of the people on Elk River ship at the Shopping Center in Elkview at the Frame Road interchange on I-79. That center has a La Quinta Inn and Suites, Kroger, Kmart, CVS, an AT&T Store, RAC, Hallmark, Dollar Tree, Shoe Show, 84-Lumber, Bob Evans, Arby's, Subway, Little Ceasrs, La Caretta, Penn Station, Burger King, Go Mart, MacDonalds, Autozone, State Farm, Advanced Auto, NTelos, Exxon, Speedway, Goodwill and Roni's Bar.
So upgrading the road might be an issue, but a solvable one. There might need to be an access road built from Deitrick out towards the removed knoll area so it can be accessed from both the front and the back sides of Northgate.

You are forgetting that this wouldn't be just for Greenbrier St. people, but for the whole area, as hopefully a developer would attract businesses that don't already exist in the region. As an Elk River person myself, let me be the first to say that we typically don't shop exclusively in Elkview. I probably go in the Kmart less than 3 times a year. I do go to Kroger and eat at some of the restaurants, but most of the time I do my shopping in Charleston and Southridge, and I'd say most everyone else does to. Except for maybe the Rednecks that stay away from Charleston.

I'm picturing shopping similar to Easton Town Center in Columbus. Not as massive obviously, but a collection of regional stores and restaurants. Also hotels as you have great proximity to the airport and interstate. Stores like REI, Whole Foods, Container Store, Barns& Noble, etc... Throw in some restaurants that would draw people in like Joes Crab Shack, PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, etc... and you have the making for a nice development. Also the business crowd from the offices and the potential for more town homes or apartment buildings up there. Of course this is all wishful thinking, but doable under the notion of a growing local economy and the attractiveness of the region to potential tenants.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
So upgrading the road might be an issue, but a solvable one. There might need to be an access road built from Deitrick out towards the removed knoll area so it can be accessed from both the front and the back sides of Northgate.

You are forgetting that this wouldn't be just for Greenbrier St. people, but for the whole area, as hopefully a developer would attract businesses that don't already exist in the region. As an Elk River person myself, let me be the first to say that we typically don't shop exclusively in Elkview. I probably go in the Kmart less than 3 times a year. I do go to Kroger and eat at some of the restaurants, but most of the time I do my shopping in Charleston and Southridge, and I'd say most everyone else does to. Except for maybe the Rednecks that stay away from Charleston.

I'm picturing shopping similar to Easton Town Center in Columbus. Not as massive obviously, but a collection of regional stores and restaurants. Also hotels as you have great proximity to the airport and interstate. Stores like REI, Whole Foods, Container Store, Barns& Noble, etc... Throw in some restaurants that would draw people in like Joes Crab Shack, PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, etc... and you have the making for a nice development. Also the business crowd from the offices and the potential for more town homes or apartment buildings up there. Of course this is all wishful thinking, but doable under the notion of a growing local economy and the attractiveness of the region to potential tenants.
While I appreciate the vision especially one that matches my own, I have to be honest and state that neither of us are very practical when it comes to such dreams. As much as we love Charleston and West Virginia we must realize both have serious hard caps to such developments - namely the hostile, archaic and inexplicable tax structure. In addition to that West Virginia is not a Right to Work state and that probably more than anything halts many of not all ventures into the Mountain State.

A shopping venue at NGBP is just a non-starter. No one lives there and no one must drive by in sufficient numbers to warrant impulse traffic. And when you get down to it, the location is meh. It is off all of the beaten paths in the Valley - no one and I mean no one who is any one travels US-114.

I have no idea why the Elk Valley has such a woodsey reputation but it thought of on par with Clay County as though Clay County and that name implies starts as soon as you go north of Mink Shoals and Capital High School. Of course the truth if far different. There is probably more money in Elk Valley than in South Hill and Fort Hill combined, but those people want to keep that secret and they shop with their friends on Corridor-G.

As for the shops you mentioned - I would love to have everyone of them but Town Center, Kanawha Mall and Corridor- can't land any of them. Some new center is going to have even less of a chance. Frankly none of them are going to land those business with the business climate here and I can't blame them for not coming.

Elk Valley can support the shops at Frame Road and could potentially expand around the Big Chimney area on either sides of the Elk where the I-79 connector and bridge crosses but you will never get anything like Easton up that way. You can't get anything like Easton in West Virginia - any where!

Old 04-19-2016, 06:28 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,615,681 times
Remember, WV is now a Right to Work State and it's going to cause more problems than benefits.

I think that an Aldi location in the East End would do very well and that one in Kanawha City would be welcome competition to Kroger.

Isn't there still talk about bringing a Whole Foods location to Corridor G?

I would like to see a REI location in our area but given that Charleston already has Cabela's and Gander Mountain, I would prefer to see REI located in either Teays Valley or Barboursville at Tanyard.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Remember, WV is now a Right to Work State and it's going to cause more problems than benefits.

I think that an Aldi location in the East End would do very well and that one in Kanawha City would be welcome competition to Kroger.

I would like to see a REI location in our area but given that Charleston already has Cabela's and Gander Mountain, I would prefer to see REI located in either Teays Valley or Barboursville at Tanyard.
The talk of Whole Foods was tied to a proposed shopping center across from Southridge Center (the plaza with Walmart). The shopping center is in limbo right now as the DOH is against upgrading the current 3 way intersection to a full 4 way because they fear more congestion. Whole Foods was thrown out as a prospective tenant, but the company never came out in "offical interest".Charleston Gazette-Mail | Proposed shopping center on Corridor G held up by traffic concerns

I love REI, but I think this is wishful thinking. We need to show companies as a region that our economy is solid and not tied to shrinking coal.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:

"Remember, WV is now a Right to Work State and it's going to cause more problems than benefits."

No one who understands economics can say that with a straight face, but someone desperately tied to unionism holds that line as their mantra.

As a teacher of history, I can agree unions came into being in West Virginia at a time when they were desperately needed and most everyone would argue they were late to arrive. But it is also true that modern unions are anathema to business and any state that is not a Right to Work is being held back by laws that favor the benefit of only its union members. Now that West Virginia has moved into the 21st century on this topic, growth will come. Personally, I do not stamp WV a RtW yet as there are legal challenges in process.

As for what is in Teays Valley, my feeling has always been that Putnam County is a bedroom community intentionally sited between business and commercial hubs for the state. It should stay that way. Teays Valley already has too many big retailers.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:07 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,615,681 times
I don't quite agree that TV has too many big retailers. There is an Home Depot, Aldi, Kroger and K-Mart. I'm not sure that counts as too many.

The concerns most people have about Unions losing influence are ones about worker safety, lower wages and lower benefits. There are too many examples of businesses trying to cheat their workforce and considering how many times, over the years, West Virginians have been given the short end of the stick, so to speak, those concerns are valid.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I don't quite agree that TV has too many big retailers. There is an Home Depot, Aldi, Kroger and K-Mart. I'm not sure that counts as too many.

The concerns most people have about Unions losing influence are ones about worker safety, lower wages and lower benefits. There are too many examples of businesses trying to cheat their workforce and considering how many times, over the years, West Virginians have been given the short end of the stick, so to speak, those concerns are valid.
Teays Valley risks a great deal in security if it becomes any more retail/commercial/industrial oriented. It has been a safe haven for the middle and upper middle class living there because it has been a bedroom (only) community. But, once retailers, light industry and mixed use commercial enters at a significant measure of activity, crime follows. Traffic congestion increases. Quality of life drops and the local schools see an influx of non-middle class student bodies. All of the things that drove these homesteaders to Teays Valley will have followed them.

Your are welcome to your opinion on the topic of unions versus right to work, but it is a false argument filled with fear and guessing and never on fact. The many laws passed maintain worker safety, not unions. Wages are based on supply/demand of the need and work pool, not unions. Benefits are now determined by the ACA strictures and not unions. There have been examples of a business cheating its employees since there have been businesses with employees and that process will continue outside of this aspect of the discussion.

West Virginians have been given the short-end of the stick because they deserve it. If the population of this state was not so backward it would not get screwed over so many times. I love my state and I love my fellow Mountaineers but as a group they are a pretty stupid, unwise bunch. You have families that denigrate going to college in another state because they think their children are trying to be better than them.

You have a botched education system that is a public travesty. There is not ONE good school in this state. George Washington is like being the tallest midget, if it were any other state it would be an also ran. It only shines here because the peers are so poor. West Virginians are mules, hard working, dumb animals that need the stick to be motivated.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:40 AM

80 posts, read 89,673 times
The Best Western and Capitol Hotel (nee Fairfield, I think) on Washington Street have been foreclosed on by the lending bank. The previous owner had announced big plans for renovation and rebranding to a Wyndham; the new owner seems to be interested in continuing to explore that.

Either way, hopefully the hotel finally gets cleaned up. It's a great central location -- across from the Clay Center, an easy walk to downtown, CAMC, or Power Park. It's a shame that the previous owners let the place get so shabby.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | 2 Charleston hotels sold on courthouse steps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston