Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 09:14 AM

583 posts, read 592,489 times

Advertisements

Didn't we have this chain around here 10 years or so ago maybe in South Charleston? Anyhow the location is not favorable for success unless the product and pricing is just so unbelievably good that it can overcome it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 10:58 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Are there any dine-in pizza restaurants around? I would rather make use of a 30-minute or one-hour lunch break to dine out, refresh, and return to work. The carryout/delivery segment over saturated with too many participants.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:22 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Are there any dine-in pizza restaurants around? I would rather make use of a 30-minute or one-hour lunch break to dine out, refresh, and return to work. The carryout/delivery segment over saturated with too many participants.
Are you referring to on the East End, because if so then no. Really the only "dine-in" pizza places are Pie's and Pints and Lola's on Bridge Road. We do have an abundance of delivery and carry out places though.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:23 PM

The Chase branch will be closing on Bridge Road, and I think that building would make an interesting business or restaurant. What do you all think?

Old 08-01-2016, 06:27 PM

778 posts, read 794,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The Chase branch will be closing on Bridge Road, and I think that building would make an interesting business or restaurant. What do you all think?

The Bridge Road Shops made business sense in the pre-Dudley Farms & Trace Fork days but they have been doing less and less each fiscal cycle. If you have the choice between moving to Bridge Road or one of the mega-centers, you choose the mega-center.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
The Bridge Road Shops made business sense in the pre-Dudley Farms & Trace Fork days but they have been doing less and less each fiscal cycle. If you have the choice between moving to Bridge Road or one of the mega-centers, you choose the mega-center.
Places like Bridge Road attract the "niche" stores. Every good city needs a few corners of it where local businesses can thrive and cater to that specific neighborhood. You won't see large brand-name stores opening there, but local shops that serve people that don't mind spending the extra cash on something more genuine. Look at the restaurants there, and how well they do. Bridge Road Bistro is fantastic, and Lola's is one of a kind and always busy. People generally like places they can walk to, and the Shops at Bridge Road are in the midst of a great neighborhood full of trendy people. I just moved to the East End along Quarrier St, and I absolutely love that I can walk to a couple coffee shops and a half dozen local restaurants like Bluegrass Kitchen, Leonoro's, Tricky Fish, the Hibachi place, etc...

I could see the old Chase as a coffee shop/cafe honestly. But something else that might work is a more upscale sports bar. They could tear out the drive-thru the bank had and turn it into alfresco-style seating. A real possibility is another bank opening up there.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:33 PM

778 posts, read 794,477 times
Quote:
Places like Bridge Road attract the "niche" stores. Every good city needs a few corners of it where local businesses can thrive and cater to that specific neighborhood. You won't see large brand-name stores opening there, but local shops that serve people that don't mind spending the extra cash on something more genuine. Look at the restaurants there, and how well they do. Bridge Road Bistro is fantastic, and Lola's is one of a kind and always busy. People generally like places they can walk to, and the Shops at Bridge Road are in the midst of a great neighborhood full of trendy people. I just moved to the East End along Quarrier St, and I absolutely love that I can walk to a couple coffee shops and a half dozen local restaurants like Bluegrass Kitchen, Leonoro's, Tricky Fish, the Hibachi place, etc...

I could see the old Chase as a coffee shop/cafe honestly. But something else that might work is a more upscale sports bar. They could tear out the drive-thru the bank had and turn it into alfresco-style seating. A real possibility is another bank opening up there.

I agree with the vision you have. My problem is that it has to take place in a vibrant community and Charleston does not have one - any where inside the city limits. This city is dying. We have elected do-nothing and self-first politicians at ever level of our local government from the County Commissioners down to dogcatcher.

Unfortunately, none of the places you mentioned would take a first look much less a second look at that location. When your demographics are shrinking and aging, you have to be in the best spot and Bridge Road is not that any longer. You might get a Starbucks Knock Off like Moxxee Coffee at Lee and Morris down town, but I would not hold my breath for more.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:08 AM

82 posts, read 120,126 times
Quote:

I really like this idea. There are dinner-type restaurants up there, but no real place for just a cup of coffee or tea and a sandwich and read a book. There's definitely nothing al fresco. It's kind of a glaring hole in the otherwise well-rounded selection of shops now that I think about it. I could see a coffee shop/cafe doing pretty well in that neighborhood.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnilmo View Post
I really like this idea. There are dinner-type restaurants up there, but no real place for just a cup of coffee or tea and a sandwich and read a book. There's definitely nothing al fresco. It's kind of a glaring hole in the otherwise well-rounded selection of shops now that I think about it. I could see a coffee shop/cafe doing pretty well in that neighborhood.
There truly is a lack of coffee shops in the area anyways. I wouldn't want to see a chain coffee shop, but something completely original. They should keep the vault of the bank and feature it. Possibly even having a bank themed decor and name. "Trust & Loan Coffee Company"

Edit: I have actually been to a coffee shop located inside an old bank in Rutland, VT. So I guess the idea isn't too original lol

Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Are you referring to on the East End, because if so then no. Really the only "dine-in" pizza places are Pie's and Pints and Lola's on Bridge Road. We do have an abundance of delivery and carry out places though.
I think the pizza delivery/carryout bubble is about to burst, and one popular pizza restaurant may disappear. Pizza delivery/carryout is dominated by Domino's, Little Caesar's, and Papa John's. Pizza Hut has struggled with delivery/carryout only locations, and has ignored its in-demand dine-in locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston