U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 AM

705 posts, read 879,289 times

Advertisements

Off topic, but Cici's Pizza disgust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 AM

4,990 posts, read 6,549,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
Off topic, but Cici's Pizza disgust me.
glad I'm not the only one!

Old 02-01-2013, 06:30 AM

6,349 posts, read 8,110,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
IMHO, 5-Guys is pretty gross. The amount of grease on their burgers can't be healthy. I would like to see calorie/fat/cholesterol breakdown on each of their burgers, it can't be good. Also, they put so much salt on their fries that a deer walked out of the woods and tried to lick my fingers after i ate there....

The sof drink fountain is pretty cool though. I've seen a few of those going in to other restaurants lately.

I don't mind sitting down and getting a fast food burger, but this place really isn't near the top of my list.
Yes, that is what I am trying to tell people. Generic fast food franchises whether it be five guys or Cicis dont really improve life or the food scene in a city. Instead of trying to attract franchises I would recommend you focus on getting good chefs to come down and open their own restaurants. Charleston has a good local food scene, probably one of the best in the state, and places like Five Guys only take away from that.

As for Cicis what do you expect for $5 all you can eat pizza?

Old 02-02-2013, 12:22 AM

1,813 posts, read 3,301,126 times
On the topic of food. Gotta say, Adelphia on Capitol Street is pretty solid. It has mainstream Greek food, plus some American favorites with Greek recipes. It's definitely a hot spot downtown, and located right beside Pies and Pints, and Taylor Books makes that area a nice destination in the evening.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Yes, that is what I am trying to tell people. Generic fast food franchises whether it be five guys or Cicis dont really improve life or the food scene in a city. Instead of trying to attract franchises I would recommend you focus on getting good chefs to come down and open their own restaurants. Charleston has a good local food scene, probably one of the best in the state, and places like Five Guys only take away from that.

As for Cicis what do you expect for $5 all you can eat pizza?
Nobody is saying they do. Just nice to see new options.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:07 AM

6,349 posts, read 8,110,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Nobody is saying they do. Just nice to see new options.
Indirectly you are. You are even excited about these chains. I feel they are a shame since they take business away from a thriving local food scene. Charleston may not be NYC, but it is a foodie town. There are plenty of local resturants that would get approval from people from places like NYC, LA, Tokyo, and Paris. Five Guys is not one of these places.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Indirectly you are. You are even excited about these chains. I feel they are a shame since they take business away from a thriving local food scene. Charleston may not be NYC, but it is a foodie town. There are plenty of local resturants that would get approval from people from places like NYC, LA, Tokyo, and Paris. Five Guys is not one of these places.
Like I said, agree completely! And it is a fact that I post both new local and chain restaurants. It's just easier to post chain activity because chain growth is more common. But there was a boom of locally owned not too long ago which really helped craft some of the older neighborhoods.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 AM

6,592 posts, read 11,645,281 times
Interesting thread!!! I'll be moving to the area in July or August and while most things I typically need and desire are there.....there are just a few I think that should set up shop in Charleston. Especially since a lot of smaller cities have these things.

- Waffle House - I will definitely miss this. My friends and I would sometimes drive 25 minutes just for our nearest Waffle House here in Maryland. Waffle House will be PERFECTLY at home in a state like West Virginia.

- Chipotle Mexican Grill - Best burritos anywhere. None of the knockoffs like Moe's, Salsaritas, California Tortilla, or Qdoba come remotely close IMHO

- Popeyes

- Bojangles
- Texas Roadhouse (though Lonestar Steakhouse is VERY good)

- Ruby Tuesday (the ydo have them in Barboursville and Beckley)
-

- Bank of America - They do not have a single location in WV which really surprised me. I may open an account with SunTrust since that is one fo the major banks that are in Charleston plus the areas I visit regularly due to family and friends.

- Hair Cuttery - I'm always had my haircuts at this place.
- Cheesecake Factory

There are of course some local restaurants I will miss from the Baltimore area, especially my favorite local diners and honky tonks. I'm actually still hoping for any of y'all here to suggest your favorite 24 hour diner in the area, especially any country style diners !!
Especially surprised cause Bank of America, Popeyes, and Ruby Tuesdays are such major national chains

Old 05-02-2013, 01:15 PM

1,813 posts, read 3,301,126 times
There is a Waffle House in Huntington. But too far to drive just for that when there is IHOP in two locations in Charleston.

Also, I thought there was a Texas Roadhouse in Kanawha City? Plus, there are an abundance of these types of chain Steakhouses in Charleston. But would really like to have one out here in Teays Valley

I do agree about Chipotle. This area definately needs a couple of these stores.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:29 PM

10,305 posts, read 10,402,673 times
I like the fact that we have been getting more and more local places instead of chains. Los Agaves mexican seems to be taking over as Shoney's moves out. Good mexican food, too. Pies & Pints is local too. Charleston Brewing Company just opened and is serving traditional British pub food. Fazio's has been serving the best Italian food for over 50 years. Suzi's biscuits are even bigger that Tudor's. Both are local. I need a Gino's pizza or pubwich every now and then too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston