Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 11:08 AM

82 posts, read 120,191 times

Advertisements

I drove by the South Charleston Sheetz this morning and it was packed.

I doubt it will take them long to build more in Kanawha County. I don't have a link to support me, but I seem to remember hearing that Sheetz's original plan was to start in Kanawha and work outward. But the company has such strict requirements for sites (lot size, access, traffic volume, proximity to intersections and four-lanes, etc.) that it took them longer than expected to find suitable land, because many prime locations like that are taken. So while they worked on that, they changed up the plan to work in toward Kanawha instead of out from it.

TL;DR - Sheetz seems to have Kanawha square in its sights and has been working on it in the background for awhile now. I bet we'll see more pop up soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 03:33 PM

778 posts, read 794,879 times
I like any type of development, but when I lived in larger cities such as Cincinnati Ohio - Charlotte NC - Austin TX, no one ever got excited when they built a new gas station. I know what Sheetz is, but it is still just a gas station.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:56 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
I do agree that it is a bit ridiculous to get excited about a gas station (myself included). But it is sad that a city Charleston's size is one of the last to get a Sheetz. Kanawha County could support a dozen or more of them, but had to wait years to get one!!! Not to mention Sheetz is a major upgrade from the trashy options we have now ( 7/11, GO MART). The only decent gas stations we have is One Stops and a few Speedways. The area is long over do for an upgrade, especially one where you can also get a good selection of coffee and tea drinks!

Also Chipotle is open!

Old 10-24-2015, 07:11 PM

778 posts, read 794,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I do agree that it is a bit ridiculous to get excited about a gas station (myself included). But it is sad that a city Charleston's size is one of the last to get a Sheetz. Kanawha County could support a dozen or more of them, but had to wait years to get one!!! Not to mention Sheetz is a major upgrade from the trashy options we have now ( 7/11, GO MART). The only decent gas stations we have is One Stops and a few Speedways. The area is long over do for an upgrade, especially one where you can also get a good selection of coffee and tea drinks!

Also Chipotle is open!
Cheers Chris!

I agree completely, but so many businesses do not locate here for some odd reason. I wish I knew why. Cheddars is one I would frequent, but I have to go to Ashland, Beckley or Parkersburg if I want to go. Of course places Like Brio Tuscan Grill, Macaroni Grill, Max and Ermas, Cheesecake Factory and Unos just to name a few would be nice. But we miss out on many other things besides eateries. Still, any development is good I suppose.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Cheers Chris!

I agree completely, but so many businesses do not locate here for some odd reason. I wish I knew why. Cheddars is one I would frequent, but I have to go to Ashland, Beckley or Parkersburg if I want to go. Of course places Like Brio Tuscan Grill, Macaroni Grill, Max and Ermas, Cheesecake Factory and Unos just to name a few would be nice. But we miss out on many other things besides eateries. Still, any development is good I suppose.
I'd like to see Cheddars as well! Some others would be Red Robin, PF Changs, noddles & co., the melting Pot, and a Texas Roadhouse! We are lucky to have some chains not found else where in the state like First Watch, TGIF, recovery, the Chop House, and Krispy Kreme! I think that some of the mentioned eateries we don't have could work there way into the area with help from the city, but they don't seem too interested in attracting business.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:21 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,369 times
Charleston Gazette-Mail | Bojangles’ purchases former Chi-Chi’s lot

Old 11-04-2015, 09:05 PM

too slow for me! lol

Old 11-08-2015, 07:16 AM

I heard that Bojangles is also looking at a location in Cross Lanes for a restaurant.

Also I heard that Sheetz has been very successful. A Sheetz worker told me they ere averaging over 75k in food sales a week! I don't know what other Sheetz make, but that sounds like a lot simply for MTO!!!

Old 11-09-2015, 11:32 AM

82 posts, read 120,191 times
The Cross Lanes corridor is fairly tightly packed. Two spots that come immediately to mind are the old Exxon location between City Bank and Wendy's, and the old Fazoli's site on the hill near Lowe's. Or maybe the old Jiffy Lube? I can't see them venturing too much farther from the interstate. But I could easily be wrong.

No sources or anything. Just my own speculation.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:47 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnilmo View Post
The Cross Lanes corridor is fairly tightly packed. Two spots that come immediately to mind are the old Exxon location between City Bank and Wendy's, and the old Fazoli's site on the hill near Lowe's. Or maybe the old Jiffy Lube? I can't see them venturing too much farther from the interstate. But I could easily be wrong.

No sources or anything. Just my own speculation.
I was thinking about this, too (as I work in Cross Lanes). I'd bet on the Fazoli's site. A second possibility could be the corner of the parking lot across from Fifth Third Bank. The Exxon lot could work, but ingress/egress is already a headache there. They won't go further into Cross Lanes, most likely. That would leave Fazoli's, which is an easy call as the necessary infrastructure is there along with shopping and other restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston