U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2011, 07:29 AM
 
Location: 304
4,976 posts, read 6,533,053 times
Reputation: 1609

Advertisements

A couple of years ago I posted a thread asking what people would like to see in Charleston. Let me be the first to tell you that most of my wishes have been answered!

Retail has somehow taken off in the last year!

Two New Qdoba Restaurants are also coming to Charleston! One in the mall next to the new 5 Guys, and the other at Dudley Farms Plaza! I love this place and will go there just as much as 5 guys! LOL

Here is a brief list of the new retail recently (2 years most)

Already Built (all chains, not local owned)

2 new Walgreens--- West Side/Cross Lanes
new CVS ---Kanawha City
Pita Pit ---Kanawha City
Best Buy--- Shops at Trace Fork
New Shoe Carnival--- Dudley Farms
2 new Buffalo Wildwings--- Southridge Center/ Cross Lanes
New McDonalds--- East End
New KFC--- West Side
Remodeled Kanawha Mall, now Shops at Kanawha--- new stores
new Pizza hut/Wingstreet--- Kanawha city
Sonic--- Saint Albans
Starbucks--- University of Charleston
new Panera Bread in the mall
TeaCo--- CTCM
2 remodeled One Stop Gas Stations
Cold Stone--- Saint Albans
Jimmy Johns--- Downtown

Being Built, or soon to start

Walmart--- Quincy (opening soon)
Sheetz--- Kanawha City
Chick-fil-a --- Southridge Center
2 Five Guys --- CTCM/Dudley Farms Plaza
2 Qdobas---- CTCM/Dudley Farms Plaza
(some chain Japanese Steakhouse)--- Kanawha City
Starbucks--- Kanwha City

there could be some I've Forgot, but the point was is that the Charleston area has seen some quality places call us home in the past few months/years! I'm glad to see the pick up in retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2011, 07:55 AM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,190 posts, read 29,570,003 times
Reputation: 5091
I think it's great that Charleston was able to avoid at least a decent amount of the "bust" that's happened over much of the country. Here in Atlanta during the peak of construction, they were literally building entire Corridor G type projects every two months throughout the metro area for a period of years. When the bust hit - whammo. There are now dozens of large, empty, shopping complexes throughout the area just sitting and rotting as a result.

Just curious about something: I had left Charleston long before "Corridor G" opened, and was looking at a layout plan of it online the other day. I noticed that along that one stretch of road, there are at least three steak houses: Ryans, Longhorn, and Texas Roadhouse. Even in Atlanta where folks eat out A LOT, having three similar types of places in such a short span of space is a recipe for disaster. How are these places doing today, after having been open for a while? Charleston is more "meat and potatoes" than Atlanta where folks get into a wider range of sometimes odd food, but I would still think they're fighting for each other's business at the steak places (?)

Regarding the chain Japanese Steak house in Kanawha City being built - if it's a "Hibachi", the jury might be out. There are a chain but franchised - the one here isn't so hot... but it's a generic name too, so might not be affiliated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Poca, WV
180 posts, read 298,353 times
Reputation: 124
Dont forget The Fireside Grille in Teays Valley. Which is locally owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 09:36 AM
 
Location: 304
4,976 posts, read 6,533,053 times
Reputation: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I think it's great that Charleston was able to avoid at least a decent amount of the "bust" that's happened over much of the country. Here in Atlanta during the peak of construction, they were literally building entire Corridor G type projects every two months throughout the metro area for a period of years. When the bust hit - whammo. There are now dozens of large, empty, shopping complexes throughout the area just sitting and rotting as a result.

Just curious about something: I had left Charleston long before "Corridor G" opened, and was looking at a layout plan of it online the other day. I noticed that along that one stretch of road, there are at least three steak houses: Ryans, Longhorn, and Texas Roadhouse. Even in Atlanta where folks eat out A LOT, having three similar types of places in such a short span of space is a recipe for disaster. How are these places doing today, after having been open for a while? Charleston is more "meat and potatoes" than Atlanta where folks get into a wider range of sometimes odd food, but I would still think they're fighting for each other's business at the steak places (?)

Regarding the chain Japanese Steak house in Kanawha City being built - if it's a "Hibachi", the jury might be out. There are a chain but franchised - the one here isn't so hot... but it's a generic name too, so might not be affiliated.
We already have an official Habachi, but this one begins with a F and I can't pronounce or spell it LOL

Charleston has alot of steakhouses, and out Corridor G they are always crowded. I guess they are doing just fine, and so are the countless dozens in the area because they are all busy.

Corridor G went for a period without seeing any development, but recently it has just taken off! That is even without the new Cabela's that they are going to build. The Cabela's will probably draw in more retail developments, maybe even more shopping plazas.

Putnam County is at the edge of building up in retail aswell. I had seen plans for a large shopping plaza at the junction of 64 and the new 35. It looked like it was going to bring in some large stores, and even an office park.

Another area that has seen a growth pattern is Kanawha City. Not only in restaurants, but in office buildings and housing. A new office building was built beside Lowes, and Highland Hospital is building a four story structure now. Our first Sheetz store is under construction in KC, and I think the Shops at Kanawha is getting a new shoe store, and a chain hardware store. Also a small strip mall is building behind the new Pizza Hut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 11:49 AM
 
529 posts, read 918,493 times
Reputation: 218
Fujiama or something like that? Those restaurants are always packed and Outback too. As a matter of fact all the Charleston restaurants seem to be busy. Or maybe I just eat at busy times? It took me months to get into Pies and PInts downtown without a long wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 12:43 PM
 
Location: 304
4,976 posts, read 6,533,053 times
Reputation: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
Fujiama or something like that? Those restaurants are always packed and Outback too. As a matter of fact all the Charleston restaurants seem to be busy. Or maybe I just eat at busy times? It took me months to get into Pies and PInts downtown without a long wait.
I agree that all of them are always packed! Pies and Pints is probably one of my new favorite restaurants! that place is never empty, and the line goes outside!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Winfield, WV
1,812 posts, read 3,295,385 times
Reputation: 501
Definately some exciting times for retail and dining in the Kanawha/Putnam County area.

I would like to see a Red Robin or even better a Yard House restaraunt move into the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 07:00 PM
 
Location: 304
4,976 posts, read 6,533,053 times
Reputation: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Definately some exciting times for retail and dining in the Kanawha/Putnam County area.

I would like to see a Red Robin or even better a Yard House restaraunt move into the area.
Red Robin Yes

What is a Yard House?

I'd like to see a Cheesecake Factory!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 10:58 PM
 
11,961 posts, read 12,429,728 times
Reputation: 2772
Charleston appears to be recession proof for now. I hope that trend continues on, but they had an advantage from the onset not engaged in pie in the sky financing. I think it's safe to say with all the imported labor that arrives on Charleston's doorstep that there isn't the unemployment rate of other states to contend with save for people unwilling to acquire updated job skills.

That pita pit sounds interesting. I'll be sure to look for it. Still I hope to see more mom and pop type stores than franchises. Much as I adore Tudor biscuits, it shouldn't be the only thing that defines local character.

Reminds me of Mrs. Baldwin's mawmaw's recipe for "Snow Cream". Next time it snows a good 6 inches or better collect the snow off your porch banister with a stock pot. Briskly stir in a splash of milk, sugar and vanilla. Countrified ice cream dividends for the kids praying for a snow day from school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 11:13 PM
 
11,961 posts, read 12,429,728 times
Reputation: 2772
OH and BTW that newer Chinese buffet that opened up about 2 yrs ago nearby the Kanawha city mall is killer. Great deal, great food, always busy. Went there once and frogs legs were on the menu. WV'ns are strictly meat and potatoes? That tray got wiped out in one sitting by at very least culinary curious folks. I passed it by averse to amphibian delicacies. I'm the guilty stick in the mud who brakes for toads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top