Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 06:58 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times

Advertisements

Unlike the national trend of indoor malls doing poorly, The Charleston Town Center has seen growth during and after the recession. The mall is seeing new stores and restaurants, and is undergoing a $7 million renovation. Most malls are seeing a decline, but the Town Center is seeing an increase in sales!

Town Center mall weathers slow economy* - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 03:32 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
While the parking situation there certainly does not work in favor of that location, one thing does... since it is located in a downtown area, it would be very difficult to locate a Walmart or a Target in the immediate vicinity. I believe that is one reason it is making a comeback.

You are correct that most indoor malls have a hard time weathering the storm. Those things seem to operate basically on a 25 to 30 year life cycle before somebody builds a newer, flasher alternative. If such a mall is located in a town with steady growth, I have seen some of them reinvent themselves from retail centers to service facilities, but the situation with Charleston's mall is remarkable. That is especially true considering who owns the place.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:22 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
While the parking situation there certainly does not work in favor of that location, one thing does... since it is located in a downtown area, it would be very difficult to locate a Walmart or a Target in the immediate vicinity. I believe that is one reason it is making a comeback.

You are correct that most indoor malls have a hard time weathering the storm. Those things seem to operate basically on a 25 to 30 year life cycle before somebody builds a newer, flasher alternative. If such a mall is located in a town with steady growth, I have seen some of them reinvent themselves from retail centers to service facilities, but the situation with Charleston's mall is remarkable. That is especially true considering who owns the place.
What helps the Town Center out is that it acts as the regional hub for high end shopping. Most other malls in WV and the surrounding area are either suburban malls or offer only your everyday stores. The Town Center does a good job of being a place where people can go for more upscale shopping. You have to drive to Pittsburgh, Cincy, Colombus, or DC/Baltimore to get the same type of shopping you get at the town center. I'm not saying its the Greenbrier of malls (not by a long shot), but its nice compared to other shopping centers in the state. The Huntington Mall is not bad either.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:45 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Lack of competition is one factor to weigh in, too.

There is Town Center and the Huntington Mall and what else in a reasonable drive, really? Which is a good thing, really - malls were "overcooked" back in the 80s everywhere, and due to it's size Charleston avoided this, while the larger cities were saturated with them. Atlanta (metro) has roughly twelve major malls (130-225 stores each) with a dozen more that are smaller than that, and who knows how many "open air malls" that were trendy to build a few years ago. Some of them are still thriving due to the population in their areas, but a few are hurting pretty badly now, too.

Momentary topic deviation
: Many years ago in school, we had to design a mall but it had to be completely different layout than what most malls were. Huntington is the "standard" layout - Town Center a bit better but still pretty standard. I designed a mall that had a central lawn area with a botanical garden style dome over it for light, with real grass, trees, and a small pond - basically a small park in the center. Three spurs would go out from there, and each one would mimic store facades for the fronts of the shops - looking like an outdoor main street. One would have a New Yorkish theme to it, another would be an old style European theme, and the third an International theme (Asian, Latino, etc) No one has ever tried that since back then, so I have no idea if it would have worked to draw crowds or not - but it wouldn't have been as "blah" as what's out there today. - end of deviated chatter.

The open air mall concept does pretty well here. Not far from me is one of "The Avenues" shopping complexes. Outdoor mall - basically a very elaborately done shopping center in a "U" shape - they built 4-5 of these in varying parts of the metro area. The parking lots stay PACKED most days. Rumor was the developers of the Kanawha Mall redo came down to look at them, but unfortunately I think they doofed on that one - Kanawha Mall being much more like a regular stucco shopping center with lower-end stuff in it... my Sister says she hasn't even been there more than once or twice since it reopened.

Three words to keep things going... service, service, service. You can have all the "boutique stores" in the world, but if you don't make customers feel like their business is wanted, they'll find somewhere else to do, though - only mall or not.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:14 PM

15 posts, read 32,477 times
The parking at Town Center is a fraction of the cost of any other urban mall I've ever visited.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:40 AM

939 posts, read 1,892,134 times
The town center truly is an amazing accomplishment. Where else can I park for free and then walk to my job at a call center in the food court in between grabbing crap food in what's left of the food court ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston