Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,608 times

Advertisements

I wonder if people would stand still for a target after not allowing Walmart I heard the remorse today about target
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 05:43 AM

6,075 posts, read 9,100,962 times
If that rumor is true, I'd imagine no one would have any beef with it as it would most likely be built near to Home Depot and not right through the congested Teays Vaey corridor.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:39 AM

632 posts, read 831,748 times
Would a Target in Teays Valley oversaturate the market? There's a Target at Corridor G and Barboursville. Then 5 Walmarts between 29th St and Corridor G

Old 04-18-2016, 09:45 AM

6,075 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Would a Target in Teays Valley oversaturate the market? There's a Target at Corridor G and Barboursville. Then 5 Walmarts between 29th St and Corridor G
That's a good question, but I honestly believe that there is enough population to support three targets between the 3 counties. Not to mention Huntington's Target pulls from Ohio and Kentucky and Charleston's Target pulls from multiple counties around the KV. Putnam County has enough of the "right" demographic to support a store. Walmart and Target attract two different crowds (at least in Charleston they do), so I couldn't see why not. Putnam County is one of the wealthier per-capita areas in the state, and among the fastest growing behind the EP and NCWV. Also the Walmart in Putnam County is off the Hurricane exit, leaving the only similar type retailers (Kmart and Magic Mart) alone on the Eastern half of the county. I doubt Kmart and Magic Mart would scare a prospective Target store off.

Of course, this is all speculation and rumor, as no plans have been made nor has target expressed publicly that they are interested in doing so. Also, Target might considering opening a store in other untouched WV markets first before returning to a metro they already have a presence in. Say Beckley, Parkersburg, or Charles Town.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:07 PM

778 posts, read 795,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
That's a good question, but I honestly believe that there is enough population to support three targets between the 3 counties. Not to mention Huntington's Target pulls from Ohio and Kentucky and Charleston's Target pulls from multiple counties around the KV. Putnam County has enough of the "right" demographic to support a store. Walmart and Target attract two different crowds (at least in Charleston they do), so I couldn't see why not. Putnam County is one of the wealthier per-capita areas in the state, and among the fastest growing behind the EP and NCWV. Also the Walmart in Putnam County is off the Hurricane exit, leaving the only similar type retailers (Kmart and Magic Mart) alone on the Eastern half of the county. I doubt Kmart and Magic Mart would scare a prospective Target store off.

Of course, this is all speculation and rumor, as no plans have been made nor has target expressed publicly that they are interested in doing so. Also, Target might considering opening a store in other untouched WV markets first before returning to a metro they already have a presence in. Say Beckley, Parkersburg, or Charles Town.

You are correct in that they attract different markets. Target is regarded as being more upscale and in the industry sits on the next tier along with its main competitors, Kohl's and Meijer - at least in our region. Walmart competes with Kmart (Sears) on its level. Magic Mart and Big Lots are on the lowest tier, below Walmart and K-Mart. Above Target's tier you find name brand department stores like J C Penney, Macy's, Dillards, etc. Above them are the Nordstrom and Sax Fifth Ave type retailers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston