Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:53 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
An opinion piece without facts is irrelevant.

Like I said if someone can show that most of TJ items are rebranded and the exact same product is available at other grocery stores do so. If you can't do that then showing they get some products from big suppliers doesn't prove that point. Those are 2 separate things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 01:04 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,532 times
cry, you must be from Pittsburgh area to be referencing Giant Eagle. My wife used to do some healthcare work for their employees back when she worked up there.

Anyways. Seems like we are still finding conflicting information about TJ's products. I wish we could find the data to prove one way or another.

If one get's a chance, let me know if you looked into Sprout's Farmer's Markets, and tell me what you think.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:11 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,035 times
In the same article you posted, it is stated,

Former executives say that Trader Joe's wants neither its shoppers nor its competitors to know who's making its products. And many suppliers aren't that keen on consumers knowing that they produce a lower-cost version for Trader Joe's either. Take Tasty Bite, which makes much of Trader Joe's Indian food. The Tasty Bite Punjab Eggplant ran $3.39 at a Whole Foods in Manhattan. The seemingly identical Punjab Eggplant that the Stamford, Conn., company makes for Trader Joe's is more than $1 cheaper.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:48 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,532 times
Default Tj

10 Things You Didn't Know About... Trader Joe's - Shop To It

Says that TJ's carries over 2,000 products and that 80% of thier products are unique to TJ's stores only. Granted, this article is a little dated.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
In the same article you posted, it is stated,

Former executives say that Trader Joe's wants neither its shoppers nor its competitors to know who's making its products. And many suppliers aren't that keen on consumers knowing that they produce a lower-cost version for Trader Joe's either. Take Tasty Bite, which makes much of Trader Joe's Indian food. The Tasty Bite Punjab Eggplant ran $3.39 at a Whole Foods in Manhattan. The seemingly identical Punjab Eggplant that the Stamford, Conn., company makes for Trader Joe's is more than $1 cheaper.
You named like 3 products. Nobody said every product TJ makes is unique.

You said the majority of their products are rebranded and can be found on other grocery stores. You now must prove that over 50% of their products are rebranded items from other supermarkets. Anything less your statement is wrong. YOU made this argument. Pointing out that some products are available at other stores doesnt prove that. Saying it is some big secret doesnt prove the point. Saying 2 products seem the same does not mean they are the same, or that other people would think they seem the same. A hamburger from Mcdonala might seem the same to a hamburger from five guys to someone for instance.

If you want to argue that TJ may be marketing itself in a misleading way that is fair. If you are going to argue that at least over half of their products are rebranded items available in other markets you have no proof and we have seen proof that is not the case.

Please revise your earlier statement or show some proof. You are spinning facts to try and misrepresent them.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
10 Things You Didn't Know About... Trader Joe's - Shop To It

Says that TJ's carries over 2,000 products and that 80% of thier products are unique to TJ's stores only. Granted, this article is a little dated.
Like I said TJ has been accused by critics and that is valid. Many companies market themselves in ways that can be misleading however there is no proof that most of TJ's products are rebranded items from other stores. You might find people making this claim without proof by using 2 or 3 examples and applying it to all their products or you might find people saying, " I can't tell the difference," but that is not evidence.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:31 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,035 times
No proof? The article you posted has former employees, executives of the company, and the food supplies stating that many of the items are rebranded. That is proof.

Also I didn't say majority, I said many and I didn't spin any facts. There is a difference so please check your posts before posting incorrect information regarding something I posted. Otherwise it looks like you are the one trying to twist facts, quotes, etc.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
No proof? The article you posted has former employees, executives of the company, and the food supplies stating that many of the items are rebranded. That is proof.

Also I didn't say majority, I said many and I didn't spin any facts. There is a difference so please check your posts before posting incorrect information regarding something I posted. Otherwise it looks like you are the one trying to twist facts, quotes, etc.
Many is meaningless. 3 items out of 6 billion could be described as many. The proof shows that for the many that are available at other supermarkets there are many many many many more that are not. 80% is original TJ products. Your earlier criticism was wrong

Old 07-28-2013, 10:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Stop being so confrontational - the topic IS NOT about Trader Joe's practices - it's about one of them possibly opening in Charleston - stick with that, please.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:58 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times
Interesting news story on organic food stores like Whole Foods and TJs and why they aren't interested in WV right now.

Income, education levels preventing major organic food stores fr - Business, Government Legal News from throughout WV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston