Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:36 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times

Advertisements

Civic Center project advances * - News - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

This is great news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 07:53 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,139 times
The city has to look into selling the naming rights to the civic center for additional, much needed revenue for renovations and such.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
The city has to look into selling the naming rights to the civic center for additional, much needed revenue for renovations and such.
It would seem like a good strategy. Hopefully a United or City National would be interested in taking a bid because they are headquartered in Charleston.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:57 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,419,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
It would seem like a good strategy. Hopefully a United or City National would be interested in taking a bid because they are headquartered in Charleston.
The City National Charleston Civic Center. For short - the City Center. That would be a perfect moniker. It reminds me of Citi Field in Queens. Sure, it says Citi, but when spoken it sounds like "City Field" which 1) doesn't sound corporate, and 2) gives a sense of community ownership of the facility. Danny Jones, make it happen.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:10 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
You mean like that HUGE Friends of Coal logo taking up most of the basketball court?

Old 03-05-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You mean like that HUGE Friends of Coal logo taking up most of the basketball court?
I can see it now. WVU-Marshall - The Chesapeake Energy Capital Classic on the Friends of Coal court inside the CONSOL Energy Civic Center.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I can see it now. WVU-Marshall - The Chesapeake Energy Capital Classic on the Friends of Coal court inside the CONSOL Energy Civic Center.
LOL

Possible names may include:

The United Bank Center
City Financial Arena
Alpha Energy Arena
Dow Civic Forum
Toyota Arena
The McJunkin Center
Biscuit World Arena

Old 03-05-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
LOL

Possible names may include:

The United Bank Center
City Financial Arena
Alpha Energy Arena
Dow Civic Forum
Toyota Arena
The McJunkin Center
Biscuit World Arena
Huntington (Bank) Charleston Civic Center
Alpha CoalDome

...and my personal favorite

Tudor's Convention World

Old 03-05-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Huntington (Bank) Charleston Civic Center
Alpha CoalDome

...and my personal favorite

Tudor's Convention World
If I could give you a rep point I would

regardless of the name, the civic center is in major need of renovation and modernization. The arena and convention halls both look pathetically outdated. There needs to be more formal convention spaces too for more high profile events.

Not to long ago, there was talk of renovating one of the levels of the Greyhound station garage into more convention space. I don't know if that fell through.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:23 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,139 times
Walgreens Arena
Yuengling Lager Arena
BB&T Center or Arena
DuPont Arena
Chick-fil-A Arena

I have mentioned it before, I think it would be a great idea for the city to install some large windows into the exterior walls of the civic center. They could be installed up higher on the building, on the concourse level, and it would allow for some much needed natural light to get inside the arena. As it is now, when you are inside the arena, especially in the concourse areas, its like being inside a tomb.

Also, the whole building needs a new paint scheme and colors on the exterior and on the 3 exterior walls facing I64, the city needs to have "Charleston WV" and the "Naming Rights Sponsor" in very large letters. That way when people come into Charleston, those words are dominant.

I also hope that part of the renovation plan includes replacing the outdated seats inside the arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston