U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2014, 06:40 AM
 
Location: 304
5,075 posts, read 6,776,423 times
Reputation: 1694

Advertisements

The Charleston Gazette | Airport board explores solar panel project

If the airport goes through with the $15 million plan, then Yeager would become the only airport in the US to run completely off of solar power. I think the idea is a win, and they should go for it. "The panels would be built on the roof of the parking garage closest to the terminal and in the airfield between the terminal and the aviation administration building."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 AM
 
Location: 304
5,075 posts, read 6,776,423 times
Reputation: 1694
Plans are moving forward in making Yeager the first airport in the nation to be completely powered by Solar.

The Charleston Gazette | Yeager Airport renewable energy project moves forward

http://www.charlestondailymail.com/a...141219921/1420
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2015, 02:21 PM
 
Location: 304
5,075 posts, read 6,776,423 times
Reputation: 1694
The Charleston Gazette | Yeager officials worry new legislation could short-circuit solar project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2018, 07:48 AM
 
Location: 304
5,075 posts, read 6,776,423 times
Reputation: 1694
https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/k...068c4b0d9.html

This project is once again gaining momentum, as the landslide delayed efforts by the airport to install the panels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2018, 09:21 AM
 
1,614 posts, read 1,884,949 times
Reputation: 422
I'm still blown away. We're talking 4 MW after full build-out. That would effectively double the existing capacity in the whole state, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2018, 11:20 AM
 
Location: 304
5,075 posts, read 6,776,423 times
Reputation: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I'm still blown away. We're talking 4 MW after full build-out. That would effectively double the existing capacity in the whole state, I believe.
It will certainly be a “door opening” project for future solar powered projects in West Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2018, 12:24 PM
 
707 posts, read 432,108 times
Reputation: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I'm still blown away. We're talking 4 MW after full build-out. That would effectively double the existing capacity in the whole state, I believe.


Hmmm...a bit off of the mark.


John Amos power plant has three power centers, #1 and #2 each produce 816.3 MW and #3 produces 1,300 MW. John Amos has a whole produces 2,932.6 MW.


John Amos is only one of many power plants in West Virginia, some of which are hydro-electric in source. Data varies depending on the political bend or time frame of the source, but in general West Virginia produces about 68,000 MW and uses about 21,000 per year. It is the most valuable commodity West Virginia produces but we do not see a single penny of it because the pay off is in the coal or natural gas and not how it is used in the power plants.


Little known to many people, West Virginia produces 180,000 BBL of oil each month and has proven reserves of 23 million BBL. None of that is refined in West Virginia.


In comparison terms, the 4 MW power goal for Yeager would power about 400 average houses. More than enough to run the airport, but like most power production, running at 50% capacity drastically increases equipment life. The cost will be in the batteries, they can't be filled past 90% and you can't drain them lower than 50% or you shorten their life massively. Tesla has been working on that. They could go to a system where they simply generate, AEPCO would be forced to buy it and the airport would then buy their demand from AEPCO. The two systems would not be connected and the savings would be on the accounting desk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2018, 01:13 PM
 
1,588 posts, read 1,298,584 times
Reputation: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Hmmm...a bit off of the mark.


John Amos power plant has three power centers, #1 and #2 each produce 816.3 MW and #3 produces 1,300 MW. John Amos has a whole produces 2,932.6 MW.


John Amos is only one of many power plants in West Virginia, some of which are hydro-electric in source. Data varies depending on the political bend or time frame of the source, but in general West Virginia produces about 68,000 MW and uses about 21,000 per year. It is the most valuable commodity West Virginia produces but we do not see a single penny of it because the pay off is in the coal or natural gas and not how it is used in the power plants.


Little known to many people, West Virginia produces 180,000 BBL of oil each month and has proven reserves of 23 million BBL. None of that is refined in West Virginia.


In comparison terms, the 4 MW power goal for Yeager would power about 400 average houses. More than enough to run the airport, but like most power production, running at 50% capacity drastically increases equipment life. The cost will be in the batteries, they can't be filled past 90% and you can't drain them lower than 50% or you shorten their life massively. Tesla has been working on that. They could go to a system where they simply generate, AEPCO would be forced to buy it and the airport would then buy their demand from AEPCO. The two systems would not be connected and the savings would be on the accounting desk.
I think elewis meant it would double the solar capacity of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2018, 01:40 PM
 
707 posts, read 432,108 times
Reputation: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I think elewis meant it would double the solar capacity of the state.


That is more likely, but still I am not sure if 4 MW would double current output. I know of 5 different farms in Nicholas county that are all solar powered and they each pump out more then enough juice to run their locations; selling the balance to the grid. One is a good friend of mine and he says he produces 30 KW at this time and is looking to double it in the next two years. He only uses a fraction of that. There are a lot of residences around that state into solar power and not too few urban and suburban homes. I am not sure where to find such data and I doubt any single source except AEPCO would even know - since they have to vary the balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2018, 07:32 PM
 
1,614 posts, read 1,884,949 times
Reputation: 422
Yeah, I meant solar capacity (we very obviously have a much larger total power generation capacity).

From what I can find, the largest single installation is 407 kW at American Public University in Charles Town. According to the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) (LINK), the total solar capacity in the state is 6.51 MW. I don't know if that's PV systems only, or others such as solar heating and concentrated solar (which I don't think we have any in WV).

I was a little off with the doubling remark (it was 4.4 MW at the end of 2016 according to NREL), but it would still represent a large increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top