Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 01:12 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,419,745 times

Advertisements

The garage would have to be that large to allow Riggs to partner with the City on the financing. Constructing it to have 200 spots would leave about 80-85% for general use, which would be the primary benefit to the City. I had envisioned it being much taller and not as wide. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the conceptual rendering, but depending on what they do with the ground level it could be beneficial to the area (besides supporting increased residential space).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 01:56 PM

778 posts, read 794,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
The garage would have to be that large to allow Riggs to partner with the City on the financing. Constructing it to have 200 spots would leave about 80-85% for general use, which would be the primary benefit to the City. I had envisioned it being much taller and not as wide. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the conceptual rendering, but depending on what they do with the ground level it could be beneficial to the area (besides supporting increased residential space).

Well, if I had any say in it. I would dress the outside to look like the Union Building to which it is going to be attached, as though it was always there. Instead of concrete stilts I would extend the white painted river base of the tower across the skirt of the garage. I can just imagine all of the trash from flooding and homeless that would be gathered under the proposed rendering.

Instead of what looks like a totally open walled garage, I would face it in stone matching the tower and I would actually plan the roof top as a public park space. It might be a garage but I would do it so that the garage aspect seemed secondary. This is on the cities front porch - make it nice. The nicer it is the better the prices in the tower as well.

If it is not possible to blend it in with the tower, then mirror the architectural work from Haddad River Front Park with the canopies and metal framed shapes and lights.

I suppose my most pressing concern is that the lower skirt is enclosed and not open. Buildings on stilts are cheap and they look it. Besides that, while it may be perfectly solid it does not give that impression. I know all buildings are basically stilts but they look solid, this looks flimsy.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:20 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,419,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Well, if I had any say in it. I would dress the outside to look like the Union Building to which it is going to be attached, as though it was always there. Instead of concrete stilts I would extend the white painted river base of the tower across the skirt of the garage. I can just imagine all of the trash from flooding and homeless that would be gathered under the proposed rendering.

Instead of what looks like a totally open walled garage, I would face it in stone matching the tower and I would actually plan the roof top as a public park space. It might be a garage but I would do it so that the garage aspect seemed secondary. This is on the cities front porch - make it nice. The nicer it is the better the prices in the tower as well.

If it is not possible to blend it in with the tower, then mirror the architectural work from Haddad River Front Park with the canopies and metal framed shapes and lights.

I suppose my most pressing concern is that the lower skirt is enclosed and not open. Buildings on stilts are cheap and they look it. Besides that, while it may be perfectly solid it does not give that impression. I know all buildings are basically stilts but they look solid, this looks flimsy.
Exactly, and I'd also add that, if possible, extend the lower deck to jut out and create a seamless connection between Haddad and the trail along the river.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Exactly, and I'd also add that, if possible, extend the lower deck to jut out and create a seamless connection between Haddad and the trail along the river.

That is a great idea! After using Google Earth and poking around the area, it is so obvious the garage needs to come almost to the river's edge. At the river's edge I would extend the boat dock/walk all the way across the back of the garage and have it meet up with a reconfigured area just at the east end of the garage. It would have better stairs down and perhaps a series of ramps for handicap accessibility. Maybe an over look built in there too.

The second level of the proposed garage looks like it is at the same level as the raised area behind the tower that sits on top of the white painted river base behind the tower. This would make another nice entrance area. People could park in the garage and rather than walking on that skinny sidewalk on the boulevard around the Union Building, they could leave the garage and come through this little gateway area and into Haddad River Front Park. It too would have ramps and a few other additions for ambiance.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:52 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,147,712 times
I'm afraid that having a parking garage on the river bank is going to be a bad look. I know currently the Kanawha river isn't the best scenery but blocking it off with a lot of concrete and steel doesn't seem like the best long term plan.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I'm afraid that having a parking garage on the river bank is going to be a bad look. I know currently the Kanawha river isn't the best scenery but blocking it off with a lot of concrete and steel doesn't seem like the best long term plan.
I have seen this done in other cities and if planned well and made an integral part of the existing structures, it looks superb. A city the size and means of Charleston is in that zone where it can afford to work on projects like this but then has to worry about the maintenance of the project for years afterwards and that cost can often be 2 or 3 times the initial build cost over 15 years.

Building this garage with an eye toward minimal maintenance is the way to go. Rather than a surface that needs constant resurfacing or painting, I would apply a rough cut stone looking exterior or perhaps even some of the blown concrete that is made to look like block stone work.

With the right hands doing this project it can be a wonderful focal point for the city.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:05 PM

That is a problem with the City of Charleston. The city isn't known for maintenance. Just look at the current state of the ballpark. Broken seats, peeling and chipping paint, dirty, etc.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
That is a problem with the City of Charleston. The city isn't known for maintenance. Just look at the current state of the ballpark. Broken seats, peeling and chipping paint, dirty, etc.

I agree more needs to be done, but the city is aware of these deficiencies. There have been articles and press conferences in the past where they have said, "We would love to do Project X, but the cost of maintaining it afterwards is prohibitive."

One way to offset that is to sell the new development to a 3rd party private operator. Another way is to set priorities in building it so that maintaining it the cheapest possible, but doing so increase initial out lays - nothing is free.

The formulae is Good - Cheap - Fast, a project has to pick two of those aspects as they can't have all three.

Last edited by Caden Grace; 06-07-2016 at 06:55 PM..

Old 06-07-2016, 06:29 PM

I agree, if they can't plan to maintain, then find another option or don't build at all.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:54 AM

6,067 posts, read 9,088,396 times
I am not a fan of this idea. This is a terrible place for a parking garage. I agree that if the Union Building is going to be converted to residential units then there needs to be some parking available. However is that really the cities responsibility, and is this the best place for the city to invest in a garage? I would say not IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston