Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 06:26 AM

82 posts, read 120,149 times

Advertisements

Demolition of the Ott Building is officially a go.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Commission approves Ott Building demolition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 06:30 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
The article said that the city was looking into building a garage for the proposed hotel.?.?

Since when, and I thought the CURA deal was requiring the developers to provide their own parking? I don't think the city should be building a garage unless the development is mixed use with commercial, residential, etc...

Old 09-18-2015, 09:25 PM

778 posts, read 794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The article said that the city was looking into building a garage for the proposed hotel.?.?

Since when, and I thought the CURA deal was requiring the developers to provide their own parking? I don't think the city should be building a garage unless the development is mixed use with commercial, residential, etc...
I don't know about you Chris but this deal stinks to high heavens to me. First it was a Hilton with a mixed used tower, of shops on the first floor, executive condos on 2 and 3 and hotel floors on 4 through 8. Then we saw the condo portion die out and the project became a 6 floor building. Then the retail space got nixed and we dropped two floors to just 4. Then we lost Hilton for Homewood Suites. Now it seems the city has to kick in a garage so the hotel operator can build an even cheaper property.

Where do we find some logic in this? There is no logic in building any hotel there. Does no one notice the old Heart of Town is receivership? There is no call for a hotel any where downtown that is not next to the Convention Center.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
I don't know about you Chris but this deal stinks to high heavens to me. First it was a Hilton with a mixed used tower, of shops on the first floor, executive condos on 2 and 3 and hotel floors on 4 through 8. Then we saw the condo portion die out and the project became a 6 floor building. Then the retail space got nixed and we dropped two floors to just 4. Then we lost Hilton for Homewood Suites. Now it seems the city has to kick in a garage so the hotel operator can build an even cheaper property.

Where do we find some logic in this? There is no logic in building any hotel there. Does no one notice the old Heart of Town is receivership? There is no call for a hotel any where downtown that is not next to the Convention Center.
Agree completely

This has been a bad deal from the get go! CURA is settling for a hotel when the city desprately needs downtown residential units. All statics show that downtown is already has too many hotel rooms. Mixed-use is the only logical use for that lot, and is the direction the city needs to go in order to attract younger professionals downtown.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Agree completely

This has been a bad deal from the get go! CURA is settling for a hotel when the city desprately needs downtown residential units. All statics show that downtown is already has too many hotel rooms. Mixed-use is the only logical use for that lot, and is the direction the city needs to go in order to attract younger professionals downtown.

Make you a deal Chris, one of us runs for mayor and one us takes over CURA, we just need to find someone to be Carper - eh gads, did I just curse someone or what? We could fix this town.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Make you a deal Chris, one of us runs for mayor and one us takes over CURA, we just need to find someone to be Carper - eh gads, did I just curse someone or what? We could fix this town.
deal,

My last name is Jones, so maybe voters will see me on the ballet and get confused.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:59 PM

146 posts, read 166,218 times
wait wait wait........so this has gone from a 7 story Homewood Suites by Hilton with retail on the ground level to a 4 story hotel? What a waste of precious real estate in the down CBD. I saw both the hotels that make up the Heart o Town properties went to auction in December but I guess there were no bidders. What the city really needs to do is convince United Bank to build a 30 story new national headquarters on the Holly property teaming with the Hilton guys to put the hotel on the top 10 stories so United would only have to absorb 6 additional stories from their current building. Move Brickstreet into United's old tower and return the Brickstreet space back to retail in the CTC. Win win win for everyone. New high rise hotel, United Bank relocated to the city's tallest class A office tower, Brickstreet in new tower with plenty of room to expand, the mall now has a whole to corner to develop and hopefully attract new retail (Dillards, Belk, Banana Republic, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn etc) to the CTC. As the convention center expands and completes construction I think you'll see even bigger demand for hotel rooms in the city. There's still plenty of room for a Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, or even a Hilton somewhere in the convention center footprint.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWMSPPGH View Post
wait wait wait........so this has gone from a 7 story Homewood Suites by Hilton with retail on the ground level to a 4 story hotel? What a waste of precious real estate in the down CBD. I saw both the hotels that make up the Heart o Town properties went to auction in December but I guess there were no bidders. What the city really needs to do is convince United Bank to build a 30 story new national headquarters on the Holly property teaming with the Hilton guys to put the hotel on the top 10 stories so United would only have to absorb 6 additional stories from their current building. Move Brickstreet into United's old tower and return the Brickstreet space back to retail in the CTC. Win win win for everyone. New high rise hotel, United Bank relocated to the city's tallest class A office tower, Brickstreet in new tower with plenty of room to expand, the mall now has a whole to corner to develop and hopefully attract new retail (Dillards, Belk, Banana Republic, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn etc) to the CTC. As the convention center expands and completes construction I think you'll see even bigger demand for hotel rooms in the city. There's still plenty of room for a Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, or even a Hilton somewhere in the convention center footprint.
The original Hotel was a straight up Hilton, not a Homewood Suite and the first proposal was a ten story hotel with no other outlets. The shops and condos came in another proposal and even those have fallen by the way side. The whole ide of a hotel there is just dumb and makes me wonder if the people planning this actually have been to the site or done any studies of patterns in the CBD.

The library owns property on this site and there is never going to be a library there. Books are obsolete except for exceptions and those sorts of operations are better in newer data centers. The existing library is just government welfare for the library employees and the size of that building is more than enough for their mission.

Class A space is in low demand right now as I think occupancy of it is running about 86%. It wont be in demand until it stays north of 95% for a couple of years. But the vacant space is not easy to use up now and no one organization that would need say 50,000 sf could get it here even though twice that is open.

To build a hotel downtown now means working on one of three sites:

The current location of the Kanawha Charleston Heath Center. Charleston tried that but the doctor running that facility got his panties in a twist and put the skids to the deal.

The site across from Beni Kedem at the old Goldfarb Electric location. That whole block is an eyesore.

Chris has a favorite location of the location of Sears Auto, but if it were me I would take out the Municipal Auditorium too and use the whole block. That building has seen its best days and it is hardly needed, especially when the CC is renovated.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:54 PM

It looks like the Clay Center has decided to get involved in renewal as it plans to revamp its discovery museum over the next few years. The article also makes mention of a proposal to turn Shawnee Park in Dunbar into a multi-sports facility by removing the golf course. That would be a huge deal, as the area is desperate for more and newer playing fields for kids.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Clay Center plans museum makeover

Old 09-24-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
It looks like the Clay Center has decided to get involved in renewal as it plans to revamp its discovery museum over the next few years. The article also makes mention of a proposal to turn Shawnee Park in Dunbar into a multi-sports facility by removing the golf course. That would be a huge deal, as the area is desperate for more and newer playing fields for kids.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Clay Center plans museum makeover
While I agree with the article, the Valley is inundated with a plethora of golf courses I am not sure the best use of Shawnee is as an aquatic center. If the goal is the new Aquatics and Sports center is to provide a recreational past time and sporting outlet for all ages then I think the best location is the block bounded Quarrier, Lee, Dickenson and Leon Sullivan.

The city is currently working to build the ever-diminishing hotel there and the Kanawha County Library bought property there as well. Since it is mostly a parking lot the demolition is done. A center such as this would be adjacent to the Clay Center and one block from two dying hotels that could use the added boost in travelers to that part of the city.

But, this is a woulda coulda shoulda thing and will not happen...sigh. Shortsighted leadership in this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston