U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 07:44 PM

4,979 posts, read 6,536,971 times

Advertisements

Some updates that I have noticed on the current construction projects in and around the city.

CAMC Memorial Expansion: I now work right near the hospital and notice changes made daily to the 3 story upward expansion You can see an updated look here//CAMC Cancer Center Charleston, WV, Construction

Kanawha City Shopping Plaza: The building is completely finished and waiting for tenants. The only known tenant (At least in my knowing) is a Therapy Clinic.

Blvd. Building Being Renovated (the one to the right of the Southside Bridge): The new look is a major improvement from its previews look. A lot of thought went into the restructuring of its south side, and a couple walls were knocked out of the corner closest to the bridge in order to make a balcony. I will try to find or take a picture of the renovation. It still needs a paint job, as the walls are primer white right now.

Colombia Gas Building on MacCorkle Ave: The Colombia Pipeline Group Building (tall green building along the river) is undergoing a paint scheme change. The building former was an outdated teal green color, but they have gone to a more modern look that features levels of different shades of blue. I don't know yet how I feel about the look, but at least it is something new.

UC Sports Complex: Dirt is moving on this much anticipated project. The new structure will dwarf the existing building and will be visible from Maccorkle Ave coming south fairly well.

New Strewsberry Street Apartment Complex: The new four story apartment building immediately off the Leon Sullivan Way exit ramp is almost finished. Not much to say about the brick facade design, as its too plain to care about it too much.

Sheetz: Construction still moving at a fast pace, should be finished by the estimated November opening or sooner.

Chipotle : Not a lot of progress,

Outback Steakhouse Town Center renovation Looks complete on the outside

That's all I could think of off the top of my head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 07:59 PM

106 posts, read 87,210 times
Whats the latest on the Hilton project on Quarrier Street?

Old 08-07-2015, 08:07 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,795,201 times
As far as I know the agreement is still good and they're probably making more detailed plans. There hasn't been any site work at all.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:24 PM

78 posts, read 76,139 times
The Homewood Suites Hilton on Quarrier Street still seems to be a go. Per the Gazette-Mail, CURA gave the developer an extra 35 days to finalize the franchise agreement with Hilton and move forward with purchase of the property.

CURA has also bought the Ott Building and will be tearing it down. A bit off-topic from the hotel, but I figured I'd mention it since it's on the same block. Probably for the best not to have visitors to a brand-spanking-new hotel be greeted by an eyesore.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:30 PM

It would be nice if the developers could convince the Hilton people to put the Hilton name on it and not one of their lesser brands......would be a nice pickup for the city and even better for the convention people having another upscale "name" brand hotel to sell. Even their Doubletree brand would be better than this Homewood Suites idea I think.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:04 AM

I agree, a Hilton or Double Tree would be much better than a Homewood Suites. Charleston could use another extended stay hotel, but I don't personally think a 7 story downtown location would be best for that. Maybe one out Corridor G or in Kanawha City. I'm fairly confident that the Marriott Residence Inn at Northgate Business Park is the only true extended stay hotel in the area.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:55 AM

78 posts, read 76,139 times
I don't think I'd call Homewood Suites a "lesser" brand at all. It's definitely one of the more upscale extended-stay franchises and a very good name for the city to sell to travelers.

But I do agree that downtown is an odd choice for an extended-stay hotel. A Hilton or DoubleTree seems to make more sense. But I'm intrigued to see what happens anyway -- if the hotel catches on, maybe extended-stay guests downtown will contribute even more to its upswing, as they'd be more likely to visit the downtown shops and restaurants than someone staying at Northgate.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:48 PM

349 posts, read 195,713 times
Hearing today that another SR restaurant won't be renewing it's lease. Got to get something new going on and going in up there to soon to bring more folks in. They've done a terrible job of keeping up with what's going on nationally with restaurants and retail up there. Not that chains are a great thing but no Carraba's, PF Changs, Zaxby's, Red Robin, Cook Out, Popeye's, Modern Grocers, HH Gregg etc...getting a Chipotle after the fact ain't gonna do a whole lot. Should have had one 5 to 10 years ago.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
Hearing today that another SR restaurant won't be renewing it's lease. Got to get something new going on and going in up there to soon to bring more folks in. They've done a terrible job of keeping up with what's going on nationally with restaurants and retail up there. Not that chains are a great thing but no Carraba's, PF Changs, Zaxby's, Red Robin, Cook Out, Popeye's, Modern Grocers, HH Gregg etc...getting a Chipotle after the fact ain't gonna do a whole lot. Should have had one 5 to 10 years ago.
Any word on which one? I'm hoping its a duplicate of something and not the areas only location. I honestly don't know how Penn Station can support 5 locations in the area.

and you are absolutely right, there is no excuse that more restaurants and shops haven't come to southridge or any other part of the city. There are some brand gaps in our market which irk me; like Old Navy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Cheddars, red Robin, etc...

Old 08-17-2015, 09:11 PM

Cheese Cake Factory, PF Changs, Joes Crab Shack, Bone Fish Grill, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Harris Teeter, all glaring absences in the Charleston market.......move Sears up to SR from CTC and replace it with a better department store (Belk Dillards etc) which would help to attract more retail to both CTC and SR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or