U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 08:10 AM

4,979 posts, read 6,536,971 times

Advertisements

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Council votes to refinance bonds on Power Park, upgrades planned

Several topics covered here in this article.

1). Power Park and upgrading the scoreboard and video board. A restructuring of the bonds will help with this.

2). Clendenin Street will undergo significant work including reducing traffic to two lanes and rebuilding the sidewalks and crosswalk between the mall and cc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 12:44 PM

617 posts, read 362,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Charleston Gazette-Mail | Council votes to refinance bonds on Power Park, upgrades planned

Several topics covered here in this article.

1). Power Park and upgrading the scoreboard and video board. A restructuring of the bonds will help with this.

2). Clendenin Street will undergo significant work including reducing traffic to two lanes and rebuilding the sidewalks and crosswalk between the mall and cc.
I really wonder about the decision to constrict Clendenin Street. It is a high capacity corridor, between the two major east-west arties downtown and it is between the Civic Center and Town Center. Add to this KRT uses it as a transit stop in both direction as well.

All of this will be further complicated when the new hotel is built on the Fifth Quarter/Beni Kedem Temple site.

I think maybe this would have been a good location for a skywalk. I am surprised the city has not built one from the Civic Center, through Town Center and terminating on Capitol or even Hale Street.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
I really wonder about the decision to constrict Clendenin Street. It is a high capacity corridor, between the two major east-west arties downtown and it is between the Civic Center and Town Center. Add to this KRT uses it as a transit stop in both direction as well.

All of this will be further complicated when the new hotel is built on the Fifth Quarter/Beni Kedem Temple site.

I think maybe this would have been a good location for a skywalk. I am surprised the city has not built one from the Civic Center, through Town Center and terminating on Capitol or even Hale Street.
I feel that Clendenin Street will be fine, considering it really isn't that busy of a street. Hopefully the new concept will include bus pull out spaces for loading and unloading that could be utilized by both the KRT system and other buses (school, coach, etc...). That might also benefit a new hotel with easier ingress and egress, and allow for more sidewalk space in front of the hotel so that it would be able to utilize more of the property for the actual structure.

As for a sky bridge, I have always felt like that would be a great idea from the CC to CTC, but I don't know about it now that the CC has been remodeled. I do like the idea of an elevated cross walk that will force cars to slow down and will create an easier crossing for pedestrians.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:13 AM

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Photos: Work continues on Charleston Civic Center renovations

Old 10-25-2016, 06:01 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,256,549 times
I REALLY hope that the sea foam green color isn't the final exterior color. It is beyond awful looking.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I REALLY hope that the sea foam green color isn't the final exterior color. It is beyond awful looking.
I'm pretty sure it isn't, but I hate it too! I believe that the original rendering showcases a metal look with a wood looking under belly.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
The sea foam green color is a water barrier that is applied to the parts of the building that will be covered by one or more surfaces before completion. It can also act as an anti-corrosive.

Generally this technique is used in LEED trending buildings as is required to obtain the LEED rating. We will not be able to see this once the building is complete.

Charleston's colors have followed the states color plan of gold and blue from the capitol building.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:36 PM

Default Fifth Quarter Site Update

Looks like the Fifth Quarter will shortly be no more. Heavy equipment is on site and at work removing the old eatery. A short article on the progress with a blurb by the property owners on the start date of a new hotel in March 2017 - 4 months from now. No brand is mentioned other than "one of several top of the line" hotels.

Demolition begins on former Fifth Quarter location in Charleston | WCHS

Old 10-27-2016, 07:08 AM

I'm really thrilled about this project. I would like to see another 10-12 floor building here, another top quality hotel, and more conference/meeting space to go along with an expanded and remodeled civic center.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:05 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,256,549 times
I wouldn't be surprised to see a hotel that is around 10 floors or so, given the smaller footprint of that piece of property. They will have to take advantage of the vertical space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or