Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 09:29 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,989,274 times

Advertisements

Highland and Acadia have suspended talks of the sale of Highland Hospital to the Tennessee organization.

WV MetroNews – Proposed sale of Highland Hospital a no go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 04:39 AM

6,008 posts, read 8,997,050 times
Highland believes that the best way it can serve our state is by offering more services, and Acadia was the solution for that. They will continue to seek out a company to merge with.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:34 AM

778 posts, read 786,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Highland believes that the best way it can serve our state is by offering more services, and Acadia was the solution for that. They will continue to seek out a company to merge with.

It may be prudent to forestall any efforts to merge in the mid-term future. The healthcare landscape is going to shift drastically and for the better for such places as Highland Hospital. If they can hold on for 12 to 18 more months they may very well be able to survive solo - provided that their managers understand how to use the free market-based healthcare system we had before ACA.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:00 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,215,307 times
I read a different article that discussed that they were informed that another organization in the state is interested and would provide a better opportunity for them possibly. One wonders if WVU Medicine might be interested since they are on a buying/partnering binge.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I read a different article that discussed that they were informed that another organization in the state is interested and would provide a better opportunity for them possibly. One wonders if WVU Medicine might be interested since they are on a buying/partnering binge.

Matt it has always surprised how much WVU does not get into the Charleston metro. I assume it is the Ruby/WVU versus CAMC competition thing but it is unfortunate for southern West Virginia that WVU has (until very recently) been a northern regional school in the state. I hope some day they buy UC and State and end those two floundering institutions.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:35 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,989,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Matt it has always surprised how much WVU does not get into the Charleston metro. I assume it is the Ruby/WVU versus CAMC competition thing but it is unfortunate for southern West Virginia that WVU has (until very recently) been a northern regional school in the state. I hope some day they buy UC and State and end those two floundering institutions.
WVU Medicine is obviously intent on having a statewide presence, and they already have a major partnership with CAMC so it is quite possible that Matt is right about them being interested. It is a first rate organization, well regarded nationally, and teaming up with Highland would surely benefit that organization greatly.

In my opinion, the structure for higher education in our state is outmoded and wasteful. UC is private, so I don't see much happening in that regard but I believe the Penn State model would work well for our little state. At least half the current publically supported 4 year schools should be turned into 2 year branch campuses of WVU on the PSU model with limited 4 year offerings in Education and possibly healthcare. That would improve quality and access to our state's best offerings, but maintain a higher education presence in most places where it currently exists. Marshall, Fairmont State, Shepherd, and West Liberty are strong enough to stand on their own and serve an obvious need in their niche markets. Perhaps Concord should be included in that group too? More resources should be given them too going forward, but a consolidated 4 year footprint would eliminate a lot of waste and provide for stronger state support for all of higher education in the state.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
WVU Medicine is obviously intent on having a statewide presence, and they already have a major partnership with CAMC so it is quite possible that Matt is right about them being interested. It is a first rate organization, well regarded nationally, and teaming up with Highland would surely benefit that organization greatly.

In my opinion, the structure for higher education in our state is outmoded and wasteful. UC is private, so I don't see much happening in that regard but I believe the Penn State model would work well for our little state. At least half the current publically supported 4 year schools should be turned into 2 year branch campuses of WVU on the PSU model with limited 4 year offerings in Education and possibly healthcare. That would improve quality and access to our state's best offerings, but maintain a higher education presence in most places where it currently exists. Marshall, Fairmont State, Shepherd, and West Liberty are strong enough to stand on their own and serve an obvious need in their niche markets. Perhaps Concord should be included in that group too? More resources should be given them too going forward, but a consolidated 4 year footprint would eliminate a lot of waste and provide for stronger state support for all of higher education in the state.

There were those in the legislature just a few years proposing a state-wide system that included every institution as a satellite of WVU, even Marshall. It was obviously not going to happen - far too many egos involved for that sort of thing to happen. Some of the private colleges in the state are small but play to their niche and thus have validity, University of Charleston is not one of them. After 3 or 4 years of running red books, some anonymous donor steps up and writes a check for several million to bring the books in line before another 3 or 4 year red slide.

WV State is officially a black college and there are probably restrictions on them being absorbed by a land grant.

But, one thing is certain West Virginia has too many little colleges and universities littering the state when there is no need for anything beyond WVU and Marshall. I can't think of one good small school that deserves to survive. Most are between 1,000 and 2,00 students and none are vital in any way to the state, just their little hamlets jammed in some hollers around the back roads of the state. Last I checked there were 26 such institutions and there is really only room and budget for 2.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:49 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,215,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
There were those in the legislature just a few years proposing a state-wide system that included every institution as a satellite of WVU, even Marshall. It was obviously not going to happen - far too many egos involved for that sort of thing to happen. Some of the private colleges in the state are small but play to their niche and thus have validity, University of Charleston is not one of them. After 3 or 4 years of running red books, some anonymous donor steps up and writes a check for several million to bring the books in line before another 3 or 4 year red slide.

WV State is officially a black college and there are probably restrictions on them being absorbed by a land grant.

But, one thing is certain West Virginia has too many little colleges and universities littering the state when there is no need for anything beyond WVU and Marshall. I can't think of one good small school that deserves to survive. Most are between 1,000 and 2,00 students and none are vital in any way to the state, just their little hamlets jammed in some hollers around the back roads of the state. Last I checked there were 26 such institutions and there is really only room and budget for 2.
I'd be fine with and think it would be a great idea (I know others will disagree) for Sheppard to become a branch of WVU.

I agree that their probably is restrictions on WV State being absorbed or anything done with it other than letting it remain an independent.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:53 AM

16,601 posts, read 15,540,441 times
This thread is about Highland Hospital, not about university mergers.

There have been talks about Highland purchase/merger proposals for many years. I have no idea if WVU Medicine would find Highland a good fit, but it could be. There is already quite a presence in Charleston. I've never really looked into it, but I think it is good for WVU Medicine to be in Charleston to have CAMC as a location for residency, particularly in specialties that CAMC is known for. It's also good for CAMC to have an education component, so it is a good cooperation for both parties. The WVU Medical presence is more than just medical students at CAMC. There are doctor groups practicing under the WVU umbrella too.

On the other hand, the merger of Thomas Hospital with St. Francis would appear to an outsider to be a success. They merged administrative functions in some ways, so they already have some expertise that could be useful in adding another unit to the operation. I guess we'll see in due time.

I would think that if CAMC wanted to buy Highland they would have done so 30 years ago instead of building an inpatient rehab ward within their existing facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston