U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 06:02 AM

4,981 posts, read 6,541,544 times

Advertisements

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Another $1.2 million to be spent on Civic Center renovation

Another $1.2 million will be spent on further enhancements to the ongoing Civic Center renovation, bringing the total costs well over $90 million. The article describes the needed expense for a flood wall, some upgrades utility lines, and some LED lighting and more digital signs. I am curious to if the lighting will be included in the coliseum exterior renovation, which has been talked about very little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 08:32 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,258,696 times
I hope the city can land a company to be the title sponsor of the Civic Center so that some of the costs are offset. That revenue would be beneficial to the project to say the least.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:38 AM

617 posts, read 363,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I hope the city can land a company to be the title sponsor of the Civic Center so that some of the costs are offset. That revenue would be beneficial to the project to say the least.

The obvious sponsor for such a branding is already in town and I am certain it has been brought up before. United Bank. United Bank is becoming a beast in the financial world in the Mid-Atlantic region. They are not the biggest yet but they seem to have all the upside of a giant and they come across as really astute in their business choices. We all hope that they will sink some money in the CBD and plop down a gleaming 30 story tower in the very near future.

There are other "locals" out there that have deep enough pockets to pull this off but their banner would be less impressive sounding:

McJunkin Redman
Gino's
Tudor's
GoMart

Another possibility is that Wingate could make another move in the area. They already own several hotels, 3 in South Charleston and 1 in Cross Lanes and we have had the rumor floating around for nearly a year now of a new hotel coming to the old Fifth Quarter site. That would be a nice tie for Wingate if they owned not only the hotel but their name graced the renovated Civic Center and Coliseum.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:43 AM

United Bank would be a nice get for the sponsor.

I don't see the other companies you listed as having any interest. There is limited to no upside for them to spend that amount of money.

I don't think the focus should only be on a local company. As you mentioned a better target is an up and coming business or one with a national brand.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:51 AM

4,981 posts, read 6,541,544 times
My ideas include; United Arena, City National Center/Forum, The Kingsford Center, KOA Arena, The Cabela's Center, McJunkin Center, Suddenlink Center, Brickstreet Arena, the Alpha Resources Center, CSX Forum, and Sheetz Family Event Center

Old 04-19-2017, 01:14 PM

Maybe Sprint could put the Boost Mobile brand on the building? Or AT&T could use their Cricket brand.

Boost Mobile Arena
Cricket Wireless Center

A lot of traffic passes by the Civic Center on the interstate. That exposure could prove beneficial to selling the naming rights.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:51 PM

617 posts, read 363,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Maybe Sprint could put the Boost Mobile brand on the building? Or AT&T could use their Cricket brand.

Boost Mobile Arena
Cricket Wireless Center

A lot of traffic passes by the Civic Center on the interstate. That exposure could prove beneficial to selling the naming rights.

In the long run we want this to be a financial win, not only for the Civic Center but for the city as well. I believe an astute manager would work with someone like United who is going to have to build a new office tower sooner rather than later. United is going to have a choice where they build that and just how much of an investment they make it. It is not a secret the county lusts over the existing 12-story United Bank building as they could bring that into what is becoming a government complex on those few blocks.

A package would involve the city/county pulling offices from around town and consolidating them in the existing United builds a new larger tower. United would also get to plaster its name on the Civic Center at a reduced cost for making a large scale investment in the city.

As much as the Civic Center will be impressive, Charleston needs to break out of the 16 and 18 story tower height limit that makes downtown look stunted. While the new Untied headquarter would be a single tower, it starts the next trend upward and Charleston begins to look like a bigger deal that it currently does.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:41 PM

106 posts, read 87,288 times
I think it would be awesome to see United build their new 30 story tower on Quarrier on the HUGE vacant parcel of land the city owns. Putting 500 workers on that end of town would totally revitalize and reinvigorate that end of town from the Clay Center to CAMC General to all the shops and restaurants on that end of town. That parcel is large enough for any tower AND a parking structure. And make no mistake......it has to be the city's landmark. This has to be the greatest, biggest, tallest, building ever built in the state.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:57 PM

987 posts, read 1,663,013 times
Facebook user Becky Bame Wilkinson, April 8th:

"Here for the Toby Mac Concert. Got to my seat and sat down and the seat collapsed and dropped me in the floor. I only weigh 100 lbs. Spoke to an usher and he called maintenance. About 15 minutes later maintenance came and put a wooden box under my seat. The condition of the seats around us are poor. I going to think long and hard before I ever come back here for a concert. I would rather drive 2-3 hours away."

The improvements being made elsewhere to the Civic Center are wonderful, but are there any plans for inside of the arena itself? The arena is the largest portion of the facility that routinely attracts A-list acts. Clearly from this recent review and several others, it needs updated. I feel this should be the next priority.

Could you imagine if this lady got injured, or someone else is injured because of a maintenance issue? These updates are only putting lipstick on a pig if we have seats collapsing. Again, I appreciate what they have done so far and what is planned but this needs to be addressed. It's a PR nightmare, not to mention a lawsuit, waiting to happen.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:45 PM

I believe I read in one of the newspaper articles that after the new entrance is completed the remodeling efforts will shift to the arena in stages. I could be wrong and if I am, someone feel free to provide the correct information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston