U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 09:47 PM

617 posts, read 363,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I believe I read in one of the newspaper articles that after the new entrance is completed the remodeling efforts will shift to the arena in stages. I could be wrong and if I am, someone feel free to provide the correct information.

The city is adding additional spending as the project advances through a series of phases. While there is no outline in the published plan online, I would find it odd if there were not plans to do a complete checkup on all aspects of the facility and upgrade cosmetic as well functionality as it is needed. The city seems to be approaching this rehabilitation logically, I would not worry too much.

Oh and the woman, saying she would not come back? Well, if that happened it would have been in the news because there are always those that hold an opposing view looking for a nit to pick. I am seldom moved by such claims as someone this happened to me, but I did not do anything about it except moan on Facebook. Real people do not do that. If it happened to me I would do more than speak to an usher and be fine with him putting a wooden box under my seat. I would be getting a refund and other compensation and the management at the Civic Center would agree to it - after all it is good pr. I say her story is BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWMSPPGH View Post
I think it would be awesome to see United build their new 30 story tower on Quarrier on the HUGE vacant parcel of land the city owns. Putting 500 workers on that end of town would totally revitalize and reinvigorate that end of town from the Clay Center to CAMC General to all the shops and restaurants on that end of town. That parcel is large enough for any tower AND a parking structure. And make no mistake......it has to be the city's landmark. This has to be the greatest, biggest, tallest, building ever built in the state.

I have a slightly different take on the location.

First Charleston is a river city and most of the promo shots of the city occur close to Haddad Riverfront Park. In spite of the fact that Laidley Tower is taller and prettier, the old Charleston national Bank Tower, now Chase Bank Tower is feature far more often because of its location.

I would recommend the new tower - if built, please God! - would be using that same formulae. The only spot close enough is the block between Chase Bank Tower and the South Side Bridge. It has Hale Street running through it but it is not a critical street and could be eliminated as a traffic street. The existing curb structure could be retained as two entrance/exits into a parking tower located between the existing Hale Street and South Side Bridge. This parking tower, would have small shops on the first floor like the one on Summers Street does and it would have 1 or 2 bridges passing over what was Hale Street but is now a valet circle and corporate drop off for taxies, limousines and that sort of use at the base of the tower.

The tower would front on Capitol Street and would nee to be suitably architecturally artsy to warrant its premiere location.

The property that are already there would are not all that to write home about and could find other locations in the CBD. There are a couple of nicer buildings there but they are nothing special in the big scheme and they would not be protected by the historical society for either the boulevard or Capitol Street since neither of them bound on this block.

A tower sited here would make a nice anchor for future photos and waterfront events; tailor made for showing off.

A couple of years ago there was some movement to develop the area across the boulevard from this block into a restaurant and parking facility for use by those using the river walk and park. A bridge to it from the new parking garage for this tower would allow more space to be devoted to the retail aspects of that development.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:18 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,258,696 times
That would be a good location.

I've always wondered if a new tower could be built on the current Union Building footprint, given the river side location. The Union Building is not the best kept building in the area and a more modern looking building would look good next to the South Side Bridge.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:17 AM

4,980 posts, read 6,541,544 times
I've always been of the opinion that if Charleston were to get a new high-rise, the best place for it would be on the corner of Laidley and Quarrier where Jeffs is located. It would take up a small footprint and would have to feature underground parking, but that spot would visually complement the whole skyline and connect it together. I like seeing the tallest building in the middle rather than on the edge. Plus that location is close enough to the CTC, Haddad, Capitol/Summers St., and Hotels that it would generate the best economic impact. Also, if it was going to be United Bank, it's across the street from their current building.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:44 PM

106 posts, read 87,288 times
I liked the idea of turning the Union Building into high end condos. Maybe 2 on each floor......can you imagine the views?!!!!! Whatever happened to that proposal from a while back? I know the owner said he would never allow a restaurant on the top floor but would consider a penthouse for that space. Anyone heard anything lately?

Old 04-25-2017, 05:40 AM

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Charleston committee receives parking update, new garage proposed

Above is the link to the Gazette story from June 2016. The owner of the Union Building states that they only way the condo project will work is if the city builds a new parking garage next to the building on the existing surface lot.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:45 PM

9,405 posts, read 11,471,164 times
I think this new tower would be wonderful for Charleston since that city's revenue base is largely from bank employment, but one question here: Last I heard there is a significant vacancy rate in the existing office buildings in Downtown Charleston. That is one thing that led to the state takeover of the Lottery Taj Mahal. Wouldn't another larger tower lead to reduced occupancy rates for the other buildings in town?

Old 04-25-2017, 12:54 PM

That is true CT. There is another thread here on the Charleston page that is about United Bank. It seems that the topic has spilled over on to both threads.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
That is true CT. There is another thread here on the Charleston page that is about United Bank. It seems that the topic has spilled over on to both threads.

The other thread is about an acquisition and this one is about naming the Civic Center when complete. While United Bank is part of both discussions they are not really the same thing.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:20 AM

4,980 posts, read 6,541,544 times
If you have been over by the Civic Center in a while I will give you an update on the construction. The entire property now seems to be engulfed with construction. The river bank side of the center is receiving the most construction as the ball room and expanded convention space in coming along. The added parts appear to be much larger than the conceptualizations gave them credit for. The Ballroom space will basically be suspended all the way to the river with a bike/pedestrian path underneath. Steal beams are rising in place, and even part of the floor for the ballroom has been placed. On the other side, the new entrance and lobby space renovation is taking place. They are currently removing the existing elevated walkway and are taking the angle off of the entry wall, making it in line with the finished expansion along Clendenin Street.

Hopefully one day I will take the time for some quick pictures.

I believe when it is all settled, this place will be a gem for the city and state. Hopefully a new hotel will accompany it and will be announced soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston