U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 08:49 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,589,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWMSPPGH View Post
now lets just get ground broken for a new first class high rise convention center hotel!!! Can someone go to the city's open house Friday and take pictures of the new CC&CC.......cough Caden....cough Chris.........LOL? Puhlease?
Wish I could!

Hopefully they will announce something soon with this hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 04:26 AM

636 posts, read 376,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Wish I could!

Hopefully they will announce something soon with this hotel.

If I were a betting man, I doubt we will see anything new on the hotel until sometime AFTER it actually starts building. We will see some press announcements about the Sears building coming down and the new hotel in the works. We may even see the pit being prepped for concrete and steel and THEN we will see some renderings. I am going to assume that KM does not know how big of a property they are going to build even at this date. They will have set up a floor plan for the lower and ground levels, office levels and then a basic room lay out. It may be at that time during the initial construction that they then decide on the guest room floor count.

We can take some comfort in the fact that the Hampton Inn 2 blocks away across Elk River is their property as well. It always looks nice, the exterior is well maintained and it has architectural lighting. It is only six floors but even at that, it would not be the worst thing to happen at the Sears lot. I rather expect twice that floor count though. I am still hovering on the 10 to 12 range, but they may go higher if the economy warrants it.

The CC-CC is really lining up a huge slate to kick off the inaugural year coming up so that is very good timing when deciding a hotel capacity. Cross your fingers.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:59 AM

998 posts, read 1,681,030 times
Today is the big day! If anyone has missed it, here's the schedule:

"Charleston Coliseum & Convention Center sprucing up to draw crowds for Friday, October 19, 2018 • 12 Noon ~ Ribbon Cutting in Elk River Atrium and Saturday, October 20, 2018 • 12 PM - 2 PM ~ Open House with Tours."

A lot of great pictures already on their Facebook page. I love the showcase of local art throughout the facility. They look great and it's just another way to showcase WV'ians to those coming from out-of-state.

https://www.facebook.com/charlestonc...ventioncenter/

Old 10-19-2018, 06:04 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,589,511 times
https://wchstv.com/news/local/charle...nally-complete

Old 10-20-2018, 04:12 AM

110 posts, read 89,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
If I were a betting man, I doubt we will see anything new on the hotel until sometime AFTER it actually starts building. We will see some press announcements about the Sears building coming down and the new hotel in the works. We may even see the pit being prepped for concrete and steel and THEN we will see some renderings. I am going to assume that KM does not know how big of a property they are going to build even at this date. They will have set up a floor plan for the lower and ground levels, office levels and then a basic room lay out. It may be at that time during the initial construction that they then decide on the guest room floor count.

We can take some comfort in the fact that the Hampton Inn 2 blocks away across Elk River is their property as well. It always looks nice, the exterior is well maintained and it has architectural lighting. It is only six floors but even at that, it would not be the worst thing to happen at the Sears lot. I rather expect twice that floor count though. I am still hovering on the 10 to 12 range, but they may go higher if the economy warrants it.

The CC-CC is really lining up a huge slate to kick off the inaugural year coming up so that is very good timing when deciding a hotel capacity. Cross your fingers.
lets just hope they realize you can't just slap 10 floors on an existing building after its built. I HOPE THEY CITY PUSHES THESE GUYS MORE TO THE 20 STORY RANGE AND A 300+ ROOM COUNT. Brooks McCabe where art thou? Make it happen bigman........

Old 10-20-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
lets just hope they realize you can't just slap 10 floors on an existing building after its built. I HOPE THEY CITY PUSHES THESE GUYS MORE TO THE 20 STORY RANGE AND A 300+ ROOM COUNT. Brooks McCabe where art thou? Make it happen bigman........

If the foundation is pre-planned it is not all that hard and it happens more often than you might think. The Marriott at Town Center was built with this in mind. It has the ability to add a ten floor addition over their parking garage. I never see that happening but when it was being designed it was added to the design - just in case. The existing Holiday Inn Express started out as a Sheraton and built to go as high as 22 floors, but the economy tanked right when ground breaking took place and it was cut back to just 6.

I was on that property just recently and it is really running down. It is going to take a lot of money to bring it back to life or it will just fall apart over the next ten years. I am not sure how it can be profitable in any case, too few rooms for the facilities. I had always thought it would have been better for the CC/CC to buy that land, build a parking tower and delete the existing one next to the CC for expansion. Maybe in the next expansion phase?

Old 10-20-2018, 02:32 PM

110 posts, read 89,461 times
I wonder if this new hotel being built totally eliminates any chance of the Marriott ever completing the 10 story tower over the parking garage? With the Marriott /Starwood merger, the Marriott could even introduce one of their recently acquired brands that is currently absent from this market (Sheraton, JW Marriott, W, Westin, Renaissance etc) Especially since the tower would only have 150 rooms they could afford the risk of going more upscale without the costs associated with a full new build. Westin anyone?

Old 10-20-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I wonder if this new hotel being built totally eliminates any chance of the Marriott ever completing the 10 story tower over the parking garage? With the Marriott /Starwood merger, the Marriott could even introduce one of their recently acquired brands that is currently absent from this market (Sheraton, JW Marriott, W, Westin, Renaissance etc) Especially since the tower would only have 150 rooms they could afford the risk of going more upscale without the costs associated with a full new build. Westin anyone?

I do not think there is any chance that the Marriott would make that move. Parking garages like those at the Marriott and Town Center are rated for 30 years and the Town Center is soon to be 36 years old and the Marriot 37. The Marriott already lacks space for the guest it has and they lease space from the Town Center for over flow. In any case, they would need to tear down or drastically rehabilitate the existing structure to support the additional weight of ten floors. It will not ever happen.

Another Charleston tower that had a floor count change during construction was Laidley Tower. It was designed to only be 14 floors, but during construction, the owner wanted to win the measuring contest in town and another 4 floors was added making it 18 above ground floors.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:42 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,279,741 times
Considering all the structural issues the parking garages have had over the last few years, I agree with Caden. We won't see anything built on top of the existing parking garages.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:09 AM

370 posts, read 206,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
I do not think there is any chance that the Marriott would make that move. Parking garages like those at the Marriott and Town Center are rated for 30 years and the Town Center is soon to be 36 years old and the Marriot 37. The Marriott already lacks space for the guest it has and they lease space from the Town Center for over flow. In any case, they would need to tear down or drastically rehabilitate the existing structure to support the additional weight of ten floors. It will not ever happen.

Another Charleston tower that had a floor count change during construction was Laidley Tower. It was designed to only be 14 floors, but during construction, the owner wanted to win the measuring contest in town and another 4 floors was added making it 18 above ground floors.

Trying to imagine Laidley Tower 4 stories shorter is not a pleasant picture. It would be turned into a short squatty type of structure because it is a fairly wide tower as is. I still have a gag reflex looking at the Charleston skyline and trying to figure out why they allowed the hideous almost all brick ATT building to be built right up against of the old Kanawha Valley building tower. It blocks out the view from one side of the KV building and it has no aesthetic qualities for a building of that size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston