U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 01:14 PM

349 posts, read 196,589 times

Advertisements

I’ve been in the mall more this past two weeks than any time in recent memory. I go early during the first opening hour and I shop and eat lunch and leave. It’s not been a bad experience. I made it a point to talk with the staff everywhere that I shopped and their outlook for the mall is bleak. Apparently they talk to staff at other stores and if what they say is true then 2018 will be bad for CTC.

My biggest hang up or issue is that I cannot possibly fathom how little effort it appears that city hall has publicly made about saving this mall and why they didn’t do it years ago.

I do not think that they are actually this ignorant so it makes me wonder if deep down they want the mall actually to die? It would not make sense for tax revenue income, jobs, and the civic center convention attractiveness but based on their actions concerning the growth and viability of this mall they are either really dumb and could care less at all about the mall or maybe they just don’t want it around because they certainly have not made a public case in recent years to the citizens or the mall owners that things needed to be done to save it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 03:40 PM

241 posts, read 210,934 times
I was there a few week ago and I didn't have a great experience. I'm a bigger man and usually don't get to Charleston but 3 to 4 times a year because I live in Elkins. I went to Macy's that usually has a good big mans selection only to find that there polo big mans was gone except a few items that hadn't sold out and very little big man's period. me and my cousin went to the cologne counter because he wanted to buy some he was out. we were totally ignored and the man kept walking away so we eventually did the same thing. it was like he didn't want to be bothered. I used to buy all my cologne there and had great service and I have probably 30 kinds. I then went to their Penny's which used to be the nicest one in the state only to find now their big mans section not very nice and stuck in a corner. Morgantown and Clarksburg Penny's is nicer now. food court empty and not what it used to be. I wish the city was talking to the owners and trying to help make sure its updated soon. I fear that if nothing is done soon Macy's will leave when their lease is up and Penny's will soon follow. the mall and city were crazy when they didn't do enough to get Dillard's and the city needs to be involved and making the mall stays viable and full. so many options but I see little being done on anyone's part.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:32 PM

They have pretty much dismantled anything that they had resembling a big and tall area. Might have better luck going down the corridor to Casual Male Big and Tall. I’ve been saying for a few years that there is no reason for people from out of the area to go to the CTC when they have the ability to buy it now where they live or buy on line. People running this town can’t see beyond the hills that make this valley and we are all paying a hard price for it.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:15 PM

The latest news out of CURA is no surprise but they are reaping in part what they've sewn. Instead of pushing to make the CTC viable and a modern place to shop they sat and sat and did little next to nothing and now they are possibly in the position of not being paid rent from the CTC?

It seems it would have been in their best interest to be a little more interested and involved. Not much sympathy for this.

WV MetroNews – Problems mount for Town Center Mall; CURA weighs options on parking garage property

Old 12-13-2017, 07:32 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,335,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
They have pretty much dismantled anything that they had resembling a big and tall area. Might have better luck going down the corridor to Casual Male Big and Tall. I’ve been saying for a few years that there is no reason for people from out of the area to go to the CTC when they have the ability to buy it now where they live or buy on line. People running this town can’t see beyond the hills that make this valley and we are all paying a hard price for it.
I think your last sentence is one of the best things I've read about Charleston (and really goes for WV as a whole) in a long time- It drives me insane that there is so much potential there and it is squandered. And for what I still cannot figure out.

They almost have it all- One of the only cities where three interstates intersect, fairly close proximity to major population centers, decent cultural amenities compared to similar sized towns, little to no traffic, fairly moderate four season climate, surrounded by the mountains- How easy can it be to screw things up? Apparently very easy! A decent portion of my high school class can be found in the DC area, Atlanta, Columbus, Charlotte and the NC Triangle. People value all that is good about Charleston and WV, yet the politicos just can't seem to get it together.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 12-13-2017 at 08:05 PM..

Old 12-14-2017, 06:26 AM

The situation with the CTC is a textbook example of the mentality that holds back the state. Back in 83 they build this mall and it’s awesome. People drive here to shop from hours away. Fast forward to 2017. Huntington already has a nicer mall. The retail market in North Central WV has blossomed. Beckley has a mall and an area like Southridge but much nicer than Southridge. These folks have no reason or desire or need to come to Charleston and pay to park and deal with nasty people at the CTC.

But back to why this is ax example of myopic failure. The folks at CURA and the people at city hall didn’t even bother to look beyond Charleston to see what was driving mall retail out of state but much less they didn’t even look instate! Places have caught up to if not surpassed their crown jewel sitting next to the $100 million dollar investment at the civic center. It’s sad and ludacris at the same time.

Unfortunately though the CTC example is really no different than the state mentality as a whole in not looking outside of WV to get ideas and make improvements here based on things other states are doing there.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:53 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,056,466 times
If CURA was smart they would be foreclosing on that garage the day they don't make their payment, because if they wait to long it may get caught up in another bankruptcy case and CURA might get the short end of that stick.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:57 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,056,466 times
Jones said Macy’s, one of the mall’s two remaining anchor stores, is not paying rent as part of its deal to stay at the Town Center at least through early 2019. He also said the $100 million renovation to the Charleston Civic Center is a key to keeping Macy’s.

“If it hadn’t been for that Civic Center and what we’re doing over there–I think Macy’s, despite the fact they are not paying any rent, would have left anyway,” Jones predicted.

WOW

WV MetroNews – Jones opens up about Town Center past, present, future

Old 12-15-2017, 10:08 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,260,037 times
IF JCPenney didn't know that about Macy's before, they do now and I'm sure they'll want to stay rent free as well.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:01 PM

78 posts, read 76,274 times
Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Penney's owns its building. All 4 anchors owned their spaces when the mall originally opened. CURA bought Montgomery Ward's building when that chain went OOB. Forest City bought the Macy's building fairly recently and leases it back (apparently for $0, if the Mayor is to be believed, but that's not unheard of in instances where the anchor doesn't own its space).

As far as I know, Sears still owns its building too, which complicates anything happening there -- it's ultimately not mall management's call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
IF JCPenney didn't know that about Macy's before, they do now and I'm sure they'll want to stay rent free as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston