Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 06:16 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWMSPPGH View Post
thats why unfamiliar names are so important to the future of Charleston. Names like Dillards, Boscovs, Nordstrom Rack, William Sonoma, Banana Republic, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Ann Taylor, H&M, True Religion, Zara, Jack and Jill etc etc. Even a few attracted to the downtown mall will help revitalize and reinvigorate the CTC especially if the new convention center hotel comes to fruition.
I agree. Successful malls feature regional stores. Look at Polaris in Columbus, they have a lot of competition just in the Columbus metro, but have found a way to secure the market by offering unique stores to their region. The Town Center could be this, if they'd see the potential of the Civic Center expansion and its isolation from competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 04:37 PM

652 posts, read 749,346 times
https://www.wsj.com/articles/cities-...lls-1490011203

Charleston's planners and business community should carefully read this article.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/cities-...lls-1490011203

Charleston's planners and business community should carefully read this article.
That is very interesting. I wasn't able to read the article, but I researched the topic a bit. I don't think Charleston has the luxury to simply remove the mall. Currently there is no need for large amounts of downtown real estate. Plus, you'd never find anyone willing to demolish the CTC or large portions of it. It is a massive undertaking, and honestly it is too expensive of a liability to close.

What Charleston desperately needs is an increase in young professionals moving downtown. Ultimately creating a need for more urban housing and some of that taking place in proximity to the mall. If you have a steady stream of people downtown at all times, then the mall will have no problem doing business. I say this all the time but, the Sears Auto site and the poorly developed block beside Holiday Inn Express need re-developed into mixed use with an emphasis on apartments and condos. Then Sears would naturally make a great place for a multi-use space with a fitness center (LA/Planet/Gold's) a small upscale Grocery store (Trader Joes/Whole Foods), another street level restaurant or two, a sports store (REI?) and another clothing store (H&M/Old Navy). The foot traffic from the residential buildings across the street, as well as other parts of downtown would surely be enough to support those businesses. Plus people will drive from all over to shop in those new and trendy shops.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:22 PM

583 posts, read 592,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
That is very interesting. I wasn't able to read the article, but I researched the topic a bit. I don't think Charleston has the luxury to simply remove the mall. Currently there is no need for large amounts of downtown real estate. Plus, you'd never find anyone willing to demolish the CTC or large portions of it. It is a massive undertaking, and honestly it is too expensive of a liability to close.

What Charleston desperately needs is an increase in young professionals moving downtown. Ultimately creating a need for more urban housing and some of that taking place in proximity to the mall. If you have a steady stream of people downtown at all times, then the mall will have no problem doing business. I say this all the time but, the Sears Auto site and the poorly developed block beside Holiday Inn Express need re-developed into mixed use with an emphasis on apartments and condos. Then Sears would naturally make a great place for a multi-use space with a fitness center (LA/Planet/Gold's) a small upscale Grocery store (Trader Joes/Whole Foods), another street level restaurant or two, a sports store (REI?) and another clothing store (H&M/Old Navy). The foot traffic from the residential buildings across the street, as well as other parts of downtown would surely be enough to support those businesses. Plus people will drive from all over to shop in those new and trendy shops.
Excellent post. This would be awesome to see happen.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:23 PM

146 posts, read 166,171 times
but somebody has to take the initiative and build the first lofts, and condos so there is somewhere for millennials to move to. Develop the Union Building, convert some of the floors in the old Woodrums Building, or even convert the old Daniel Boone into upscale apartments and condos. That building is a failure as office space and putting all the current tenants into available empty space downtown would help reduce the current vacancy rate greatly. My dream is to see the United Building on Virginia Street be converted to 50-75 high end luxury condos AFTER United Bank constructs their new 30 story World Headquarters building downtown!

Old 03-21-2017, 08:17 PM

652 posts, read 749,346 times
There is nothing you can buy at the CTC that you can't have delivered with 2-day shipping probably cheaper from Amazon. And you don't even have to deal with riffraff and shoe salesmen signing you up for some stupid magazine you don't want. The concept of the 80's indoor mall is just about dead.

What draws young professionals is food, coffee, bars, and breweries, along with essentials like pharmacies, dry cleaning, barbers, and groceries in walking distance. Well, they will need decent jobs too.

Take a look at the success stories of Asheville NC and Portland ME for some inspiration.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
There is nothing you can buy at the CTC that you can't have delivered with 2-day shipping probably cheaper from Amazon. And you don't even have to deal with riffraff and shoe salesmen signing you up for some stupid magazine you don't want. The concept of the 80's indoor mall is just about dead.

What draws young professionals is food, coffee, bars, and breweries, along with essentials like pharmacies, dry cleaning, barbers, and groceries in walking distance. Well, they will need decent jobs too.

Take a look at the success stories of Asheville NC and Portland ME for some inspiration.
While the likes of Amazon and others have made a significant dent into the retail landscape (and will continue to do so over the coming years) store shopping is still a factor to any cities economy. The vast majority of people buy clothing in stores, as well as other products to touch and see the quality that the internet doesn't offer. The problem the CTC is ultimately facing is having stores that keep up with the times. You are absolutely right that young professionals want eating establishments, coffee shops, and breweries. Those things need to be made available to modern urban housing. That is why I'm in favor of breaking sears up into smaller units in order to meet some of those needs downtown.

My point is that The CTC is simply too big and important to the whole puzzle to just demolish. There is no need for a large vacant property downtown. There won't be anything wanting to build there, and it's removal would in fact hurt other nearby businesses. It would create a large void in the CBD.

The city needs to figure out how to keep the mall within the range of what other successful shopping centers are doing. I've been to some prosperous indoor malls recently and have seen some of what they have done to keep patrons coming. One thing is reaching multiple demographics at once. you can't focus on on just upper class or middle class around here because we don't have the population to split hairs like that. Having stores that are unique is one way to also draw people in. We can't continue to get by with a mediocre selection of shops.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:09 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,139 times
It's better to support your local store or local chain location, so that you are contributing to both the local tax base/economy and keeping a local employed.

Shopping at Amazon does nothing to help those who live in your community or helps your community improve.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:19 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times
Just heard Payless shoes is moving out of the Morgantown Mall ( I think they have been gone since that new super sized show store came in) and they will also be closing their CTC store.

Last edited by WVUmatt; 04-06-2017 at 07:31 AM..

Old 04-06-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Just heard Payless shoes is moving out of the Morgantown Mall ( I think they have been gone since that new super sized show store came in) and they will also be closing their CTC store.
I'm surprised it lasted that long. Way too many shoe stores in the area. The Mall has a giant Shoe Dept store and an even bigger Rack Toom Shoes. Plus Shoe Carnival, Shoe Show, Dicks, Champs, Foot Locker, Finish Line, and every department store has a large shoe selection.

There is still a Payless Shoes out at Southridge as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston