U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 07:48 AM

1,348 posts, read 1,047,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I'm surprised it lasted that long. Way too many shoe stores in the area. The Mall has a giant Shoe Dept store and an even bigger Rack Toom Shoes. Plus Shoe Carnival, Shoe Show, Dicks, Champs, Foot Locker, Finish Line, and every department store has a large shoe selection.

There is still a Payless Shoes out at Southridge as well.
I am surprised Payless has listed this long, all their stores are run down and the shoes are always of questionable quality. Apparently Payless is either in or is filing for bankruptcy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 09:51 AM

820 posts, read 1,190,880 times
Read that PayLess at Grand Central Mall in Vienna is remaining open.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:23 PM

1,260 posts, read 3,332,726 times
I am also surprised Payless survived this long- they have stores all over the place and tons of competition from other retailers.

I think the recent store closings and sale are problematic. I agree with the sentiments of several others on this board that the CTC hasn't been managed that well- whether that is the fault of people based at the mall or at Forest City headquarters, I do not have the requisite knowledge to know. To those of us who grew up in the area, it really was at one point a nice mall for a market of Charleston's size.

I paid a visit to the CTC over Christmas for some last minute gifts for family members, walked around for a while and needless to say it was Amazon or American Express gift cards for all! Is it just me or has the store selection REALLY gone down hill? It seemed like there were a few pockets of nice stores followed by other sections with a large number of vacancies or stores selling junk that will likely not be around in another year. A man in his early 30's such as myself can forget about having large options for an addition to the wardrobe- Other than Express and Macy's (the latter selections I've found to be getting progressively worse) you are SOL. I know there's never been a J. Crew or Banana Republic but hell even the Gap is closed! The Food Court options are horrible compared to back in the day and I also noticed the - I'll just say 'unflattering' traits of the workers, the majority of whom did not seem to be working. The closure of Sears seems like it will only exacerbate the problems as there likely won't be many large anchor stores moving in any time soon.

Bottom line: The soon to be vacant Sears space is an opportunity that they better put a lot of thought into. I'd say the best option is to demolish and make an open air mini-village that could possibly connect to development of the Fifth Quarter site. If they go that route, there is the potential for some new restaurant/ retail concepts to come in and breathe some life into the mall. If they go the route that always seems be the most popular in Charleston- converting the vacant space into offices for another state government agency (they do NOT need anymore- really!), I would wager it will only be a matter of time before a developer proposes leveling some more land near Southridge for a new mall/ lifestyle center concept.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:47 PM

985 posts, read 1,659,136 times
Update:

WV MetroNews – Charleston Town Center likely to default on loan Friday

Old 09-08-2017, 04:29 AM

349 posts, read 195,274 times
Took the family to the CTC on Monday at noon to go to Outback. Parked on the Brickstreet side of level three. Started to go down right side stairway and 4 vagrants who clearly were not from Charleston were all sitting in the stairway in various positions but so as to not allow anyone to walk up or down it. Provocative.

An hour and half later after dining and shopping we left the mall. Same 4 dudes ARE STILL THERE. They are blocking the stairway and eye balling everyone that walked by. Screw putting up with that just to go dining and shopping.

I thought about contacting the CTC but at this point I do not care what happens to it.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:32 AM

1,348 posts, read 1,047,878 times
Hmm this could get interesting.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:01 AM

617 posts, read 362,088 times
The article does contain some hope. It reads - at least to me - that Forest City is going to sell out their remaining stake to the Australian umbrella company that currently owns 24%. If so, good news there as many changes would come with such a transaction:

The new owners are going to be - by default - more interested in improving the property whether they plan to keep it or flip it to a new buyer in the future.

Lisa will be given the pink slip and she has been in - imo - a blight upon the mall. In fact, whenever a new company buys out a property with staff, all of the staff is terminated by the prior company and must apply to work for the new company. Some do not do so, but most generally do. The new company is seldom required to take on members of the previous owners unless they see a benefit.

Forest City has bled this mall to prop up other properties in their holding and with this change, that comes to an end. Even if the new owners use the same tactic it wont be handled the same way. Generally though - being from a hotel background - new owners tend to come in and put their stamp on everything and make changes that they think improves the quality of their investment. It might be a long term trend for them or it may not, time will tell.

All-in-all, I am pleased with the news, anything that gets Forest City out of the Town Center I am on board with, even if it meant the mall closed. They have taken enough money out of this Charleston and Southern West Virginia to make themselves comfortable!

Old 09-08-2017, 03:55 PM

9,400 posts, read 11,458,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
The article does contain some hope. It reads - at least to me - that Forest City is going to sell out their remaining stake to the Australian umbrella company that currently owns 24%. If so, good news there as many changes would come with such a transaction:

The new owners are going to be - by default - more interested in improving the property whether they plan to keep it or flip it to a new buyer in the future.

Lisa will be given the pink slip and she has been in - imo - a blight upon the mall. In fact, whenever a new company buys out a property with staff, all of the staff is terminated by the prior company and must apply to work for the new company. Some do not do so, but most generally do. The new company is seldom required to take on members of the previous owners unless they see a benefit.

Forest City has bled this mall to prop up other properties in their holding and with this change, that comes to an end. Even if the new owners use the same tactic it wont be handled the same way. Generally though - being from a hotel background - new owners tend to come in and put their stamp on everything and make changes that they think improves the quality of their investment. It might be a long term trend for them or it may not, time will tell.

All-in-all, I am pleased with the news, anything that gets Forest City out of the Town Center I am on board with, even if it meant the mall closed. They have taken enough money out of this Charleston and Southern West Virginia to make themselves comfortable!
What's the name of the Australian company? It might be interesting to try to check them out.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:26 PM

617 posts, read 362,088 times
Queensland Investment Corp

Old 09-08-2017, 10:12 PM

9,400 posts, read 11,458,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Queensland Investment Corp
I see they are a state owned corporation in Australia that basically does it's American business through the company that is going belly up here. They do have a major market mall in Robinson Township, which is a Pittsburgh suburb. I wonder if they are facing the same issues elsewhere?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queens...nt_Corporation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston