U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:51 AM

71,504 posts, read 30,016,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
This day and age, few families are untouched by addiction and it's devastating consequences. It is epidemic in proportion, and government really needs to step in and work to help solve the problem.
In large part they are funding the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 12:55 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,255,098 times
Company opts out of Charleston Town Center Mall purchase - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

"Australian investment company QIC will not be including the Charleston Town Center mall in its acquisition of malls across the country."

Old 10-03-2017, 01:08 PM

1,348 posts, read 1,047,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Company opts out of Charleston Town Center Mall purchase - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

"Australian investment company QIC will not be including the Charleston Town Center mall in its acquisition of malls across the country."

Interesting, I wonder what that means for CTC. Can't be good if the company chose to not buy it as part of buying a bunch of malls but hopefully more information will come out.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:06 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,455,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Interesting, I wonder what that means for CTC. Can't be good if the company chose to not buy it as part of buying a bunch of malls but hopefully more information will come out.
Yeah, it's sort of troubling that they essentially said we'll take them all but this one. Maybe the current majority owners wanted more money because they have other plans for the place though. There is a major investment going into the Civic Center next door.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:50 PM

1,348 posts, read 1,047,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Yeah, it's sort of troubling that they essentially said we'll take them all but this one. Maybe the current majority owners wanted more money because they have other plans for the place though. There is a major investment going into the Civic Center next door.
CTC should be a slam dunk for an investment, should being the important word.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:39 PM

Remember, QIC will still have a minority interest in CTC. Maybe the numbers work out better, for now, to remain in the minority. Or as CT stated, maybe the asking price was too high.

One thing to consider, the 10 malls changing hands in this transaction, are in much larger population centers. Places like Tampa, Denver, NYC suburbs, LA suburbs, Pittsburgh and Richmond. Perhaps QIC views Charleston, and the surrounding areas, as not populated enough for the expanded investment. Considering the population loss in Charleston and WV over the last decade, I can't say I would blame them. If that is the reason.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:25 PM

617 posts, read 362,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Remember, QIC will still have a minority interest in CTC. Maybe the numbers work out better, for now, to remain in the minority. Or as CT stated, maybe the asking price was too high.

One thing to consider, the 10 malls changing hands in this transaction, are in much larger population centers. Places like Tampa, Denver, NYC suburbs, LA suburbs, Pittsburgh and Richmond. Perhaps QIC views Charleston, and the surrounding areas, as not populated enough for the expanded investment. Considering the population loss in Charleston and WV over the last decade, I can't say I would blame them. If that is the reason.

On a plus note - and I can't believe it is me saying this - but I have been to CTC daily for the last few weeks - don't ask why. The mall seems busy, the trash - and I do not mean discarded waste can items - has been run out. The entire mall is VERY clean, new paint on everything, especially in the parking towers. I saw several sweepers running around and they were actually doing their job and looked clean themselves. Security patrols were evident - counted 6 on my most recent visit. Even the exterior seems to be getting some love here and there although it could use more in some of the less traveled areas.

It is sad that what should be daily operations is noted as an exception but at least for now, it seems to be putting its best foot forward to attract a buyer. Let us wait before we throw a party.

I would prefer another solution to a developer that does not really want the property, perhaps someone more local will take an interest now, but they need deep pockets as they will be biting off a 93 million dollar chomp before the ink dries.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:23 AM

4,976 posts, read 6,533,053 times
This is sad news, but hopefully the mall finds an owner that has some vision.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:06 AM

Another Store Closing at the Town Center Mall - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

The PacSun store at the CTC is closing.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:35 PM

106 posts, read 87,115 times
best bet is for Simon to buy the mall.......they do amazing things with their properties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston